Does lacing pattern matter? (1:1 or 2:1)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R2power

by R2power

I’m looking to get a set of new wheels that will allow me to be on 105% rule at 28mm tires. Concern that I have at the moment is related to lacing pattern. Some brand name companies offer 2:1 lacing. Previous wheels I had by LB had 1:1 lacing and I had issues with spokes braking on NDS. I’m I right to assume that 2:1 lacing would give me higher longevity of the spokes? LB offers 2:1 drilling but they only offer this in 21 spokes for rear wheel. Considering this will be disc setup I’m concerned that this will not be enough spokes.
So am I better of paying a bit extra and going brand name 2:1 lacing at 24H or LB at lower price but 1:1 lacing at 24h?

ooo

by ooo

With 24h you will be able to find replacements for hubs and rims, it is better option.
With 21h you will be very limited, there is only one hub in my 2:1 centerlock list topic
if you will be not satisfied with hub (if you want to upgrade freehub body etc) with 21h you may have no choice
If you will be able to find 2:1 hub for sale, it sense to buy hub/rims/spokes separately and build it locally
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Use 1:1 with bigger spokes on the drive side also reduce the tension differential.
Not to the level of 2:1 but good enough and still easy to maintain later.