Stradawheels for wheel build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luca199

by Luca199

Hi,

1) I'm interested in a new handmade wheel build. I've checked out the following UK sites (stradawheels, pt cycles and sharpwheels) and it seems to me that stradawheels is the better one out there. Any views on their quality? Any other sites I should check out before making a final decision?

2) what's the best carbon rim for a new wheel build? I'm really inclined to go with Enve SES 3.4 disc rims, with a DT Swiss 180 EXP upgraded to 54 tooth engagement (from the original 36) with hybrid ceramic bearings, easy maintenance and very lightweight (not really keen on the extra CK weight and price, and I've heard that Carbon Ti is quite heavy maintenance and is best suited for summer dry rides only). I'd have sapim cx-ray spokes on the front and sapim cx-sprint spokes on the rear for extra lateral stiffness (I'm 85kg body weight and put a lot of power through my dogma f12 at ftp 340). Overall wheelset weight should be at 1350g roughly, so pretty happy with that.

Are there any other rims with better carbon stiffness/quality/weight that I should look into?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Strada are brilliant! I won't use anyone else now!

There in house rims are really good if you don't want to break the budget.. otherwise I now prefer my beast rims to Enve.. and the DT Swis 180 is definitely my hub of choice...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luca199

by Luca199

Thanks for your reply!

It sounds like the dt Swiss 180 exp (and in general the exp range) is a very loud sounding hub..... sounds like it's always dry... I quite like the idea of a quieter / more silent hub.. would Chris king with ceramic bearings be better? What other options are out there for a nice sounding hub and still lightweight/stiff etc.

Thanks!
Luca

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

The CK is not quiet 😂😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC