ENVE 45 or Zipp 303S

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kensonw

by kensonw

Background: I'm looking for carbon wheels upgrade and aim at rim height of 40-50mm because of the mixed(both flat and slope) road I'm used to ride. My budget is around $1200-1300 (I consider this low-mid budget)

So I checked with my local bike shop and also the internet and found two options the fit my eyes.

1. Zipp 303S ($1000 USD)

2. ENVE foundation 45($1405 USD)

I'm not sure about whether the Enve's brand reputation and hubs n stuff is worth $400 more than the zipp, being in similar spec on weight and rim height.

*Please don't recommend China wheels because as a man knowing the Chinese culture, I simply would not trust their product and customer services etc.
2021 Chapter2 Tere disc

Broady

by Broady

Cheaper Zipps have seemingly had crap hubs going by the people I ride with, though I can't speak to this model.

Enve warranty would be a factor in my decision, not sure how Zipps warranty is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kensonw

by kensonw

yes I'm aware of the Enve crash replacement and warranty is better than whaat Zipp can provide. Zipp claim to have lifetime warranty for production defects but I think they don't have the crash replacement as Enve does. This can add to the extra cost.

I'm more curious about the difference in hubs because I don't see a lot of discussion comparing these factory hubs.
2021 Chapter2 Tere disc

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Aren't the Zipp 303S's made in China? If so that might be a deal breaker for you based on your OP.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

kensonw

by kensonw

Zipp is made in Taiwan which is okay for me. On the other hand Enve is built in USA
2021 Chapter2 Tere disc

kervelo

by kervelo

kensonw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:38 pm
...Zipp claim to have lifetime warranty for production defects but I think they don't have the crash replacement as Enve does...
Zipp Life Happens program:
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/life-happens

I think most of the comments about Zipp hub issues are related to some old models, not the recent wheels.

kensonw

by kensonw

kervelo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:32 am
kensonw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:38 pm
...Zipp claim to have lifetime warranty for production defects but I think they don't have the crash replacement as Enve does...
Zipp Life Happens program:
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/life-happens

I think most of the comments about Zipp hub issues are related to some old models, not the recent wheels.
thats great insight! thanks man
2021 Chapter2 Tere disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

I don't have any great insight as I've never used any Zipp wheels. But I'm a very satisfied user of the 45. Both contributed to faster and more comfortable riding. Couldn't ask for much more than that.