Tubes on CLX64

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steamroller

by steamroller

Silly question maybe, but what tubes are best to run on these? Mine came with 26mm Turbo Cottons and I need to buy a couple of spare tubes. What length valve is preferred? Latex the way to go?

Thanks!

MasterBean

by MasterBean

80mm valve.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The rims have no bearing on which tubes are best.
Latex tubes are usually lighter than butyl, a little more supple, roll faster (the fastest tube possible), lose air overnight, and cost significantly more than butyl.
Another option is TPU tubes, which are lighter again, very durable, don't lose air over night. These are again more expensive than Latex, and roll faster than butyl but slower than latex.

Latex is the best choice for racing, while TPU makes for a great spare (small packing, very light), and also great for training rides (durable and don't lose air quickly.

Your Turbo Cotton tires are great racing tires. Not super puncture resistant but fast and supple. As they are non vulcanized, they benefit more from Latex, than vulcanized tires.
None of this however has anything to do with your specific wheels.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

steamroller

by steamroller

Thanks for your replies @MasterBean and @FlatlandClimber, that's very helpful.

seems like TPU with 80mm valves is the ticket for my general riding. Tubolito or similar.

steamroller

by steamroller

After looking at options,TPU tubes with 80mm stems are not that common and are going to be hard to find locally. Are valve extenders a perfectly acceptable solution for using tubes with shorter valve stems?

Matte86

by Matte86

Not sure where you are located, but you could have a look at Revoloop tubes which are available on EU online stores. Been using them for a while and quite happy.
They come with different valve lengths (40-60-80).

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

steamroller wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 am
After looking at options,TPU tubes with 80mm stems are not that common and are going to be hard to find locally. Are valve extenders a perfectly acceptable solution for using tubes with shorter valve stems?
Yes. Everyone uses valve extenders. For example there are also 80mm deep wheels and I don't know if a single tube that comes with valves long enough for those.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steamroller

by steamroller

Awesome thanks. Am I better off getting tubes with removable valve stems and use extenders that fit in there? I think I've seen some that just go over the top of the whole valve as well but not sure how reliable that would be. Sorry for the newbie questions.