Campagnolo Bora rim brake is this normal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan112

by Dan112

neeb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:19 pm
Having just checked the grooves on all of my Boras with AC3 (I have four sets... :shock: ), I can confirm that they do all go the same way (backslash rather than forward slash). Pretty weird that one of yours goes the other way! I still wouldn't worry about THAT, though.
yeah I'm hoping they do something if not at least I'll no they have been deemed OK from campagnolo. 4 sets jesus lol. I have a set of shamals aswel they're spot on hence going for a set of boras.

Thanks for your response

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

As you've bought them from Wiggle you should have the option just to return them for refund without question if they refuse to replace them as they are due to the finish. I wouldn't keep them myself even for the simple reason that the aesthetics of how that rim has been finished off would annoy me having spent so much.

Dan112

by Dan112

c60rider wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:07 pm
As you've bought them from Wiggle you should have the option just to return them for refund without question if they refuse to replace them as they are due to the finish. I wouldn't keep them myself even for the simple reason that the aesthetics of how that rim has been finished off would annoy me having spent so much.
Thanks I purchase them through wiggle on the cycle scheme. So will have to see what they say little annoying it's hardly a £500 wheelset I expected a little better.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Dan112 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:06 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm
Dan112 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:07 pm
Hi

I've just received my campy boras WTO rim brake.

I've attached some photos I just wanted to check if anyone has any experience and can tell me if this is normal?

I noticed there is quite an overlap on the rear wheel on the brake track it's smooth but I wasn't expecting this on a £1500 wheel set.

I've also noticed this tiny grooves looking through the manual it states their micro engraved for preventing forgeries and will disappear over time.

The rear wheel the grooves are in the right direction but the front are the opposite way? obviously I can rotate the front wheel but doing this the hub logos etc are the wrong way around.

I just wanted to no if this is anything I should be worried about I did reach out to campagnolo but no response 🙄Screenshot_20211006_161151.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161159_com.instagram.android.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161213.jpg
Wow, why did you even mount these on your bike?
I would be furious if i got wheels like that!
yeah I havnt mounted them yet I noticed all this when fitting tyres. They havnt even had the cassette on yet

IMG_20211007_190416.jpg

So ill be returning them tomorrow and see what they say. I had them from wiggle.
Well, they must accept your return once they see these. I would ask for money back. I don't know how you feel, but do you dare to the risk that you get a second set with something else that looks off?
If they have new boys and girls building wheels, they probably should oversee what pass QC (assuming they have someone having better standard?).
I don't say this to be rude, i also work in production. But when a wheelset comes out like this i guess most would be upset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kevinw

by kevinw

There was someone else on the forum a while ago who had the same issue with the front rim been built the wrong way - I think they sent them back? I can't remember. If I were to keep them I would rather have the rims the correct way than the hub.

Agree with what has been said above regarding the carbon weave mis-alignment being purely aesthetic. I can see where the weave meets on mine but it is no way near as obvious as on that photo.

In summary your wheels seem safe and functional.... but I'd return them if I were you.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

If groove orientation is really bothering someones ocd, it takes one or two mins to dismantle and turn the axle around (not that the adjustment nut really must have to be on the nds)

As for the carbon, it is just cosmetic. It would really bother me, but i would ride them as i find returns a big hassle, then be sry i didnt do it and eventually make up with it :)

usr

by usr

“it takes one or two mins to dismantle and turn the axle around“

True, but then the USB decal is upside down and we all know how annoying reversed USB can be.

As for the grooves, if they do have some value for separating water from the pads, yeah, I'd want them oriented tho move the water to the outside towards the tire

robertbb

by robertbb

I'd send those back immediately. It's a top price wheelset and I'd expect top shelf finish.

neeb

by neeb

robertbb wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:56 am
I'd send those back immediately. It's a top price wheelset and I'd expect top shelf finish.
And then look out for wiggle auctioning them on eBay through tri-sport_resort - got one of my sets of boras that way for not much more than half price!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Hahahah got to love that eBay link

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Both my AC3 Boras have the grooves running the same way, I’d send them back personally unless they were bought as a deal

Dan112

by Dan112

Thanks to everyone that's commented.

It's been helpful especially hearing from people who have the wheels. They're being returned on Wednesday 'for inspection' so I'm hoping wiggle will just replace them for a like for like set.

They're meant to be my dream wheels and I get they will never be perfect but I did expect better. Lucy I brought them for my summer bike so I can do without for a bit.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Let us know how you get on

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Dan112

by Dan112

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:44 pm
Let us know how you get on ImageImage

Will do :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan112

by Dan112

Wiggle have replaced the wheels for me after speaking with the management team :thumbup:

Just received the new wheels. No overlaps and the groves all run the same way.

Thanks for everyones help / advice I can sleep now :beerchug:

I've attached some photos showing the difference.
IMG_20211014_113402.jpg
IMG_20211014_113309.jpg
IMG_20211014_112923.jpg
IMG_20211014_112834.jpg
IMG_20211014_112424.jpg