Campagnolo Bora rim brake is this normal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan112

by Dan112

Hi

I've just received my campy boras WTO rim brake.

I've attached some photos I just wanted to check if anyone has any experience and can tell me if this is normal?

I noticed there is quite an overlap on the rear wheel on the brake track it's smooth but I wasn't expecting this on a £1500 wheel set.

I've also noticed this tiny grooves looking through the manual it states their micro engraved for preventing forgeries and will disappear over time.

The rear wheel the grooves are in the right direction but the front are the opposite way? obviously I can rotate the front wheel but doing this the hub logos etc are the wrong way around.

I just wanted to no if this is anything I should be worried about I did reach out to campagnolo but no response 🙄
Screenshot_20211006_161151.jpg
Screenshot_20211006_161159_com.instagram.android.jpg
Screenshot_20211006_161213.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I don't know how those grooves should look like, but only that brake track overlap would be the reason for me to return those wheels.

Robius

by Robius

That rim shouldn't have passed the QC. It looks like a potential failure point to me.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Dan112

by Dan112

Kumppa wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 pm
I don't know how those grooves should look like, but only that brake track overlap would be the reason for me to return those wheels.
Thanks for you're response, I noticed this when I've gone to fit the tyres. The overlap is smooth but it's not like it on the other side or other wheel. Looks like they will be going back, to say they come with cards advising they've been inspected and built by hand I expected a little better than this.

Dan112

by Dan112

Robius wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:48 pm
That rim shouldn't have passed the QC. It looks like a potential failure point to me.
yes it's a little worrying. I totally get they're laid up by hand so I don't expect perfect but I also was a little shocked seeing this.

Hopefully they will exchange them all being well.

AJS914

by AJS914

Robius wrote:
How could it possibly be a failure point? You realize that wheels are hand made and how they are made? Someone lays the strips carbon in a mould. They didn't match up the grain of the overlap strip or it moved slightly during manufacturing.

It's nothing but cosmetic. But if it bothers the buyer, he should return it.

wilwil

by wilwil

My grooves all go the same way. The adjustable cone on the FW hub is on the NDS.
There is a slight distortion like yours on the brake track but not as bad as yours.

Dan112

by Dan112

wilwil wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 pm
My grooves all go the same way. The adjustable cone on the FW hub is on the NDS.
There is a slight distortion like yours on the brake track but not as bad as yours.
yes mine are the same the cone on the non drive side on the rear. if I have the front wheel with the cone non drive side to match up the grooves are the wrong direction.

seems a little odd from my understanding the grooves make no difference to the braking from the manual anyway so it doesn't worry me too much. More the layup, I maybe worried over nothing (first set of boras I've had) my other wheels have a painted finish so I've nothing to compare too.

Dan112

by Dan112

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:55 pm
Robius wrote:
How could it possibly be a failure point? You realize that wheels are hand made and how they are made? Someone lays the strips carbon in a mould. They didn't match up the grain of the overlap strip or it moved slightly during manufacturing.

It's nothing but cosmetic. But if it bothers the buyer, he should return it.
Thanks this is good to know :thumbup:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Dan112 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:07 pm
Hi

I've attached some photos I just wanted to check if anyone has any experience and can tell me if this is normal?

I noticed there is quite an overlap on the rear wheel on the brake track it's smooth but I wasn't expecting this on a £1500 wheel set.

I've also noticed this tiny grooves looking through the manual it states their micro engraved for preventing forgeries and will disappear over time.

The rear wheel the grooves are in the right direction but the front are the opposite way? obviously I can rotate the front wheel but doing this the hub logos etc are the wrong way around.

I just wanted to no if this is anything I should be worried about I did reach out to campagnolo but no response 🙄Screenshot_20211006_161151.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161159_com.instagram.android.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161213.jpg
Wow, why did you even mount these on your bike?
I would be furious if i got wheels like that!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Dan112

by Dan112

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm
Dan112 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:07 pm
Hi

I just wanted to no if this is anything I should be worried about I did reach out to campagnolo but no response 🙄Screenshot_20211006_161151.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161159_com.instagram.android.jpgScreenshot_20211006_161213.jpg
Wow, why did you even mount these on your bike?
I would be furious if i got wheels like that!
yeah I havnt mounted them yet I noticed all this when fitting tyres. They havnt even had the cassette on yet
IMG_20211007_190416.jpg
So ill be returning them tomorrow and see what they say. I had them from wiggle.

tomato

by tomato

Purely cosmetic. It won't affect their function, and no one else will ever notice.

Dan112

by Dan112

tomato wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:17 pm
Purely cosmetic. It won't affect their function, and no one else will ever notice.
Thanks I'm thinking it's cosmetic aswel however wiggle have been helpful and said they'd have them back inspect them and let me know. There beautiful wheels and I get they're out the mold raw.

But I still find the groves going the wrong way on the front a little odd. Especially knowing the chap above they're both in the same direction on his. Lucky i can use another wheelset while these go back.

neeb

by neeb

Just cosmetic, but not normal (none of my Boras are like that), and unacceptable on a wheelset at this price. I'd be very surprised if Campagnolo didn't replace them with an apology.

I really wouldn't worry about the grooves though, they're just a byproduct of the machining process they use to "unpolish" the braking surface. They seem to be a little more prominent on some wheelsets than others and TBH I've never noticed which way around mine go. Probably just depends which way around they happen to put the rim in the machine and might be completely random..

neeb

by neeb

Having just checked the grooves on all of my Boras with AC3 (I have four sets... :shock: ), I can confirm that they do all go the same way (backslash rather than forward slash). Pretty weird that one of yours goes the other way! I still wouldn't worry about THAT, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com