Wheel stability affected by disc rotors/ballooning of the tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R2power

by R2power

I’ve just bought a new disc bike with 40mm deep wheels that are highly unstable when it comes to speeds above 50kph and side/cross winds. My previous bike was with rim brakes and 38mm deep wheels and never experienced any aerodynamically stability issues. I was suggested that this behavior might be caused by added surface of disc rotors. One other guy at work said that it might be related to the width of my tires combined with narrow rim width. Current set up is 23mm wide rims and 29mm wide tires, while on the last bike I ran 23mm tires combined with 25mm wide rims.
Is there any merit in this statements? Can steering be affected so much by disc rotor and/or ballooning of the tires?
Unfortunately I do not have access to any other disc wheels to test have they behave.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

My immediate thought is that no, it's absolutely not the rotors or tire/rim interface; it's the rims themselves [the front rim]. Some rims do develop high (lateral) aerodynamic forces and that force is at the edge of the wheel, meaning the lever is as big as it can be. The rotor is insignificant by comparison.

Rim/wheel model? Can you borrow a shallow rim front wheel to compare?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I would say it's the rim/tyre combination. Instability gives when the air detaches from the tyre / rim trailing side of the wheel, creating a low pressure area. The big difference between the 29mm tyre and 23mm rim means that it detaches far earlier than on your old setup.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

23mm rims strikes me as being very narrow, are they quite old wheels? If so it may also be the case that they're a shape such as a V shape which is more affected by crosswinds.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

It's worth noting that an aerofoil produces maximum force when the air flows "smoothly" over it (so-called laminar flow, not turbulent); so a smaller tire (within the confines of normal road tire sizing) will almost certainly enable a higher lateral force..........

This for a "deep" rim.