Carbon spokes - any difference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sigma

by sigma

Hi,

I am curious whether those of you who have bought wheels with carbon spokes (Hyper, Hunt,etc..) think it's worth it for an aero set of wheels? I have never owned a wheel which has anything special on the spoke but carbon spokes for the road bike and Berd spokes for the MTB are catching my attention.

TIA
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

actually right now the brands are using the carbon spoker in the market, the most popular are
1. LW
2. CADEX
3. SYNCROS

and for the medium prices have
1. Hund
2. Far
3. Hyper , etc.

The adv. is 1. the weigth 2. stiffness

the most popular weigth for now is rim heigth 35-38 mm with 1310 grams / for the same with sapim spokes only can go to 1420 grams , you can see the difference now.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A single carbon bladed spoke is probably going to lose to a single steel aero spoke in the aero department. But if you reduce the amount of carbon spokes, maybe you can come out on top there.

In all other aspects, I think carbon wins. Except impact resistance, heat resistance.

I have no proof to back any of this. Just speculating.

If you are going to build a TT wheelset then steel might still have the upper hand because of it's smaller frontal area and low spoke count.

C36

by C36

Their biggest advantage to me is not weight but stiffness. For the sake of weight reduction and aero, we ended up with lights, stretchy steel spokes (cx-rays I am looking at you), ended up in sub optimal lateral stiffness. Carbon spokes being much stiffer than steel-ones, allowed to bring back a little bit of the stiffness lost over the years. Lun / win space may have taken a slight different route if their superior stiffness is confirmed.

The brands advertising weight gain clearly have little understanding on wheel behaviour and more marketing driven (easier to sell weight). Hunt was one of them, I had a discussion with a guy called Ollie and, to me, they missed the point… their stiffness data shows it, with low 40sN.mm they are not doing better than other conventional wheels (but indeed better than their own conventional wheels that are really flexy)

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Farsports are very good wheels
good and faster response with climbing
very ligth and high stiffness
super good prices comparing with LW or CADEX
if I need to say, only vision metron 45SL with the new PSR hub can compete with the weigth and the performance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com