Aerocoach Front Disc Wheel!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Aerocoach has released a front disc wheel:
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/store/Aero ... p392277846
The crazy thing is, it is for TT, so outdoor use!
I think I haven't seen a double disc TT set up used in pro racing since... well Fignon?
I didn't know it was legal, don't know if it is at all usable, and a lot of things are kind of confusing me.

But a double disc outdoors would also look alpha AF 😂.
According to internal testing, it is 4W faster than the blazing fast Titan front wheel (at 50kph, disc brake version, Cervelo P5 Disc).
They rate it to be safely used for wind speeds up to 8 knots and say it is developed around the Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 (Why not the faster Veloflex Record?).

What are your thoughts on this?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Why not the Veloflex Record? Because hardly anyone actually runs those tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:57 pm
I didn't know it was legal, don't know if it is at all usable, and a lot of things are kind of confusing me.
Front disc has been legal all the time, except looks like no one has the balls to run one :D (disclaimer: I know what is the feeling when your deep front wheel gets blown sideways in a narrow TT position)
FlatlandClimber wrote:
But a double disc outdoors would also look alpha AF 😂.
200% with you on this one.
FlatlandClimber wrote:
According to internal testing, it is 4W faster than the blazing fast Titan front wheel (at 50kph, disc brake version, Cervelo P5 Disc).
They rate it to be safely used for wind speeds up to 8 knots and say it is developed around the Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 (Why not the faster Veloflex Record?).
I don't think there's much difference in shape / aero between Corsa Speed and Veloflex Record tyres.
More interesting would be, how Schwalbe TT looks at those speeds - as per their own testing, at 45 kph it almost erases the RR advantage of Corsa Speeds already.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 am

I don't think there's much difference in shape / aero between Corsa Speed and Veloflex Record tyres.
More interesting would be, how Schwalbe TT looks at those speeds - as per their own testing, at 45 kph it almost erases the RR advantage of Corsa Speeds already.

The Corsa Speed is, in practice, like 10x more puncture-resistant than a Schwalbe Pro One TT.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Really? (haven't tried the latter). I think I remember yourself posting about the Pro One TTs that you're slowly becoming a fan of them, but probably I recall wrong then.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:17 pm
Why not the Veloflex Record? Because hardly anyone actually runs those tires.
Hardly anyone runs a front disc wheel.
Just saying that a Veloflex Record saves more watts over the second fastest tire, than this wheel can save you over another fast wheel (per Aero Coach).
So since we are really in the rhealm of marginal gains, why not at least say ("and the Veloflex Record"). The VR is being used by AC athletes, I am pretty sure.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 am
Really? (haven't tried the latter). I think I remember yourself posting about the Pro One TTs that you're slowly becoming a fan of them, but probably I recall wrong then.

I’m a fan of the regular Pro Ones for sure. They are competent in every performance category.

Meanwhile I’ve had 10 punctures in 6 weeks of Pro One TT use, though maybe 5 of those are the same puncture slightly reopening. I have about 1000mi on the rear tire and chunks of tread are starting to fly off. I’ve had like 2 noteworthy punctures on other tubeless tires the rest of the year.

What’s even weirder is the Pro One TTs pop out from my ENVE rims’ bead locks when fully deflated while most other tires do not.

Pierre86

by Pierre86

I've ridden double discs (zipp) on an outdoor velodrome on a reasonably windy day, it's not fun. For a calm day they're blazingly fast but are a whole different world to a deep front wheel, I'm on DA C75s and even on the windiest days that I've used them (40+ km/h) they are nowhere near as bad as the double discs were and I'm no featherweight either.
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:43 am
mrlobber wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 am

I’m a fan of the regular Pro Ones for sure. They are competent in every performance category.

Meanwhile I’ve had 10 punctures in 6 weeks of Pro One TT use, though maybe 5 of those are the same puncture slightly reopening. I have about 1000mi on the rear tire and chunks of tread are starting to fly off. I’ve had like 2 noteworthy punctures on other tubeless tires the rest of the year.

What’s even weirder is the Pro One TTs pop out from my ENVE rims’ bead locks when fully deflated while most other tires do not.
wow I remember reading you were becoming a fan too ?

I have about 150miles on my TT's .. ran over plenty of debris as well and I'm not a lightweight. I have them on my 5.6 Enve's and no bead pop out on deflation so far.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:20 am

wow I remember reading you were becoming a fan too ?

I have about 150miles on my TT's .. ran over plenty of debris as well and I'm not a lightweight. I have them on my 5.6 Enve's and no bead pop out on deflation so far.

We may be using different tapes. I use the green stuff stretched very tightly.

Anyway I found a few replies where I said I wouldn't be afraid to use the Pro One TT or Corsa Speed on a daily basis. That's mostly true because I've put >1000mi in mine in a few weeks. I didn't really say I was a fan of the Pro One TTs though, and there really isn't a situation where I'd pick them over Corsa Speeds.
Attachments
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3399.jpeg
IMG_3410.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com