Winspace Hyper 65 vs 67 Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
zappafile123

by zappafile123

As you're all aware, there has been quite a bit of hype regarding the 'new kid on the block' Winspace with their claimed 'high-value, high performance' line of filament wound, carbon spoked Hyper wheels. I got lucky and stumbled across a cheap set of new rim brake 65s late last month and have put approximately 600 km of dry kilometres on them so far. I noticed when gathering information about these hoops that 'unbiased' reviews from experienced riders were few and far between so buckle up for my 'unbiased' yet heavily biased review.

Let’s first address the elephant in the Winspace Hyper room. From a pure functionality point of view, I have had a flawless experience - no creaks, no spokes coming loose, no bearing issues, no finish issues (touch wood). In fact, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the practically flawless UD finish. Even hoops from the big brands generally have minor fibre placement distortions in the finish when using UD, but these things are super clean.

As for setup, I'm using GP5000 23c tires with Challenge latex inner tubes. As with all tubeless rims, when combined with Conti tires, installation is a pain in the ass. I get that some people will find my choice to use 23c tires weird, but my thought process is "what’s the point in having aero wheels if the tyre ruins clean airflow over the rim?". 23c tires inflate to be roughly 25c anyway and have a nice level profile with the rim.

I will break down each performance parameter, give it a number and a quick explanation.

1. Lateral stiffness/Responsiveness/Acceleration: 9.5/10

Those carbon spokes genuinely work some magic here. These wheels are basically as stiff, and as responsive as it gets. (check out Peak Torque https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENybY0ujfLE&t=667s who provides some lab testing to back up this claim. The experience of stomping on the pedals is really quite rewarding - they feel direct, taught, and thankfully they do not rub against the pads (I am relatively light however). The only hoops I can think of that felt more responsive are perhaps Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates (which weigh only 1200g). They felt on par with the Lightweight Fernwegs 60/80 they replaced.

2. Weight: 8.5/10

With rim tape, the Hypers came in at 1518g. This is about as good as it gets for a wheel this deep.

3. Climbing: 8.5/10

This is a bit of a no-brainer given the above, but for this class of deep section wheel, they are excellent climbers. The rims don’t feel overly sluggish on steep inclines and would certainly match or outperform most steel spoked rims of equivalent depth.

4. Comfort: 6/10

Though its true that running 23c tires at 95 PSI is a recipe for a harsher ride, I’ve done this with other hoops and the Hypers are indeed a moderately harsh riding wheelset. This is commensurate with the wheels having high radial stiffness. In terms of the ride feel, the result is that the Hypers do a better job of transmitting higher frequency road buzz. The lightweights certainly win for suppleness in this domain.

5. Aero performance/subjective sense of speed: 9/10

Absolutely one of the fastest feeling wheelsets I've tried, particularly if there is a cross tailwind. Overall they feel as though they hold speed very well.
I've got a nice testing ground a few kms up the road which is a 3.7 km circular road around centennial park. I don’t have enough data to back this up, but for roughly equivalent power outputs (within 15 watts) the Hypers are 0.5-1.5km faster on average than the Lightweights over 18.92 km (5 laps). This is riding the same bike, same lycra etc. albeit with different wheels. The only other wheel I would say definitely feels faster (only if you get them over 35km/h) would be Knight 95s. My guess is that the disparity in speed is because Lightweights spokes are quite large compared to the Hypers and perhaps the profile isn’t as 'optimal'. Times with around Centennial Park with other wheels (e.g. Reynolds Aero 58, Zipp 404 etc.) are harder to compare because they were on different bikes (e.g. Tarmac SL6, OLtre XR4 etc.) but the speeds are roughly on par (which indicates the Lightweights are slow).

6. Hubs: 7/10

Not much to say here. The hubs feel just ok. Not as silky smooth as a set of Campy ultra hubs or as solid feeling as a set of White Industry T11s, but they don’t feel bad. Hambini has covered that the bearings are not great, and will need replacing after a few thousand kms.

7. Cross-wind stability: 5/10

I’ve ridden a lot of wheels in this category (e.g. Hed Jet 6, Easton EC 90 55, Black Inc Eighty, Roval CLX50, Campagnolo Bora WTO 60 etc.). The Hypers are comfortably the worst handling modern wheelset I’ve tried and this includes the Knight 95s which are 30 mm deeper! The only wheels I’ve ridden that are worse are old-school Mavic Cosmic Carbones from 2007. Now to be clear, riding along the on the flat in winds with gusts up to 40km/h, the Hypers are manageable. Its when you’re descending, going more than 50km/h and you’ve got wind gusts at 40km/h they are borderline scary. I’d still take them out on these windy days, but I have found myself wiping off speed in fear once or twice on fast open descents. I could be wrong here, but as far as I understand, there is a trade-off between stability and low drag. So in a sense, the speed these wheels provide may come at the cost of their stability in strong winds. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Braking: 6.5/10

There are comments that ‘the braking is ok’. When I first got these hoops, I’d say the braking was outright shit. There is good modulation, but no bite, so I had to really yank on the brakes to pull up quickly if I needed to. I’ve only ridden them once in the rain and, obviously they were pretty crap at pulling up. To be fair, I am using used swiss stop black prince pads which is not ideal. Now that the rims have worn in a bit, the braking has certainly improved but still lacks bite. Other wheels like Bora WTOs or Zipp 404s are on another level in terms of braking.

Braking should be Winspaces primary focus for further product development of their rim brake wheels. I hear the Far Sports Ventoux-S wheels have tested amongst the best, so… maybe they should talk!

9. Value for money and conclusion

If you’re interested in riding (or feeling) fast, love a stiff and responsive set up, you basically cant do much better. Maybe the new Lightweight aero fernwegs are as fast, but they are something like 8 times more expensive and they are heavier. Feeling fast is an addictive and fun sensation, but it does come at the cost of comfort, cross-wind stability, and braking. The Hypers are therefore somewhat polarized in terms of their overall performance – class leading in some domains, lagging in others. What you get with a big brand wheel like a Zipp 404 (which is my favourite wheel) is a better overall balance across the wheels performance profile. Noting that Winspace themselves suggest that the 50s are almost as fast as the 65s, they may be a better buy on account of the promise of better stability in high winds (espeially for those not used to deep wheels).

For Winspaces next generation of wheels, they should focus on improving the braking as its number one priority, followed by eking out a bit more crosswind stability and producing hubs that feel a little more ‘special’ (whatever that means).

Overall I’m really happy because I don’t mind the trade offs for (the sensation of) speed. For me this means it doesn’t make sense to spend more on other brands. That said I think I'll give the Far Sports Ventoux a try - I'm sold the replaceable on carbon spoke format. (Cadex would also be worth a try, but they are very expensive).
Last edited by zappafile123 on Fri May 12, 2023 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

LRB23

by LRB23

Nice write up, thanks for this. My Mavic Cosmics just blew another rim for the second time. I’m so over them and had been thinking about Winspace options. It’s hard to ignore the price point and the claimed weights beat so many big named brands.

The bearings worry me… I wrote a set of Bora WTO’s the other day and was blown away by the hub and bearing combo. I wonder if that can be replicated on the Winspace Hypers with different bearings???

Thanks again. Keep us posted on any future developments.

P.S what bike do you have them attached too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

LRB23 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 pm

The bearings worry me… I wrote a set of Bora WTO’s the other day and was blown away by the hub and bearing combo. I wonder if that can be replicated on the Winspace Hypers with different bearings???

P.S what bike do you have them attached too?
Don't worry about the bearings. Its very common for manufacurers to put crappy bearings in their wheels and its easy and relatively inexpensive to replace them. TBH its pretty hard to cite a reason as to why Campagnolo hubs feel so nice. The only reason I can think of is the cearamic bearings coupled with the cup-and-cone desgin. (I think the whole ceramic bearing thing is BS btw). But yes, put in some NTN bearings in the Winspace and they will probably feel nicer.

I'm riding an Enigma Elite HSS at the moment (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167298). I also used my Ridley Helium SLX with the Hypers three times, but the Enigma is hands down the better bike. Amazingly it feels more responsive and lighter than the Ridley with Winspace on!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

one question if your wheels change from Rim to Disc brakes, will be more efficient in the braking?
I use the Ventoux S3 disc type, and are very excellent for the braking, I'm going to test hyper 38c disc,

thanks for your share

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Exellent review,ive had ssame experience.

I wonder if i could replace the hubs for something like dt swiss 240 or 180? Or white industries?

integration

by integration

Thanks for the review! Haven't put enough kms on my set of Hyper 65d yet. And thanks for the caution related to crosswinds I'll be sure to descend carefully.

RadB

by RadB

Agree on the descending part, I have described them to friends as diabolical. I've never encountered the fear as I have with these. I understand any speed wobbles are multi factorial, but I have never come so close to being spat off at speed. Anything over 70kph requires a knee on the top tube to keep the shimmy manageable. As someone who enjoys riding faster than that it is a serious drawback.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Luescher Teknik has done a reivew which supports a lot of the conclusions I made above. There is also support for my suggestion that the 50s may be a better choice than the 65s on account of their supposed crosswind stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3qLeHYmZMk

MC356

by MC356

I have a set of Hypers in 50mm and compared to the Zipp 404 I had before they suck in crosswinds. A buddy of mine also got the Hypers in 50mm disc and after a few rides sold them and got the 38mm because of crosswind stability. The Hypers are not a U shaped as some other brands. its more V shaped to me.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

zappafile123

by zappafile123

MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:30 pm
I have a set of Hypers in 50mm and compared to the Zipp 404 I had before they suck in crosswinds. A buddy of mine also got the Hypers in 50mm disc and after a few rides sold them and got the 38mm because of crosswind stability. The Hypers are not a U shaped as some other brands. its more V shaped to me.
Oh thats good to know.

Re the whole V shape vs. U shape, I dont think it is really indicative of potential stability. Look at Reynolds (and Edco) wheels - they are 'V shaped' and probably the among best handling wheels on the market.

RolandZA

by RolandZA

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am
As you're all aware, there has been quite a bit of hype regarding the 'new kid on the block' Winspace with their claimed 'high-value, high performance' line of filament wound, carbon spoked Hyper wheels. I got lucky and stumbled across a cheap set of new rim brake 65s late last month and have put approximately 600 km of dry kilometres on them so far. I noticed when gathering information about these hoops that 'unbiased' reviews from experienced riders were few and far between so buckle up for my 'unbiased' yet heavily biased review.

Let’s first address the elephant in the Winspace Hyper room. From a pure functionality point of view, I have had a flawless experience - no creaks, no spokes coming loose, no bearing issues, no finish issues (touch wood). In fact, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the practically flawless UD finish. Even hoops from the big brands generally have minor fibre placement distortions in the finish when using UD, but these things are super clean.

As for setup, I'm using GP5000 23c tires with Challenge latex inner tubes. As with all tubeless rims, when combined with Conti tires, installation is a pain in the ass. I get that some people will find my choice to use 23c tires weird, but my thought process is "what’s the point in having aero wheels if the tyre ruins clean airflow over the rim?". 23c tires inflate to be roughly 25c anyway and have a nice level profile with the rim.

I will break down each performance parameter, give it a number and a quick explanation.

1. Lateral stiffness/Responsiveness/Acceleration: 9.5/10

Those carbon spokes genuinely work some magic here. These wheels are basically as stiff, and as responsive as it gets. (check out Peak Torque https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENybY0ujfLE&t=667s who provides some lab testing to back up this claim. The experience of stomping on the pedals is really quite rewarding - they feel direct, taught, and thankfully they do not rub against the pads (I am relatively light however). The only hoops I can think of that felt more responsive are perhaps Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates (which weigh only 1200g). They felt on par with the Lightweight Fernwegs 60/80 they replaced.

2. Weight: 8.5/10

With rim tape, the Hypers came in at 1518g. This is about as good as it gets for a wheel this deep.

3. Climbing: 8.5/10

This is a bit of a no-brainer given the above, but for this class of deep section wheel, they are excellent climbers. The rims don’t feel overly sluggish on steep inclines and would certainly match or outperform most steel spoked rims of equivalent depth.

4. Comfort: 6/10

Though its true that running 23c tires at 95 PSI is a recipe for a harsher ride, I’ve done this with other hoops and the Hypers are indeed a moderately harsh riding wheelset. This is commensurate with the wheels having high radial stiffness. In terms of the ride feel, the result is that the Hypers do a better job of transmitting higher frequency road buzz. The lightweights certainly win for suppleness in this domain.

5. Aero performance/subjective sense of speed: 9/10

Absolutely one of the fastest feeling wheelsets I've tried, particularly if there is a cross tailwind. Overall they feel as though they hold speed very well.
I've got a nice testing ground a few kms up the road which is a 3.7 km circular road around centennial park. I don’t have enough data to back this up, but for roughly equivalent power outputs (within 15 watts) the Hypers are 0.5-1.5km faster on average than the Lightweights over 18.92 km (5 laps). This is riding the same bike, same lycra etc. albeit with different wheels. The only other wheel I would say definitely feels faster (only if you get them over 35km/h) would be Knight 95s. My guess is that the disparity in speed is because Lightweights spokes are quite large compared to the Hypers and perhaps the profile isn’t as 'optimal'. Times with around Centennial Park with other wheels (e.g. Reynolds Aero 58, Zipp 404 etc.) are harder to compare because they were on different bikes (e.g. Tarmac SL6, OLtre XR4 etc.) but the speeds are roughly on par (which indicates the Lightweights are slow).

Not much to say here. The hubs feel just ok. Not as silky smooth as a set of Campy ultra hubs or as solid feeling as a set of White Industry T11s, but they don’t feel bad. Hambini has covered that the bearings are not great, and will need replacing after a few thousand kms.

7. Cross-wind stability: 5/10

I’ve ridden a lot of wheels in this category (e.g. Hed Jet 6, Easton EC 90 55, Black Inc Eighty, Roval CLX50, Campagnolo Bora WTO 60 etc.). The Hypers are comfortably the worst handling modern wheelset I’ve tried and this includes the Knight 95s which are 30 mm deeper! The only wheels I’ve ridden that are worse are old-school Mavic Cosmic Carbones from 2007. Now to be clear, riding along the on the flat in winds with gusts up to 40km/h, the Hypers are manageable. Its when you’re descending, going more than 50km/h and you’ve got wind gusts at 40km/h they are borderline scary. I’d still take them out on these windy days, but I have found myself wiping off speed in fear once or twice on fast open descents. I could be wrong here, but as far as I understand, there is a trade-off between stability and low drag. So in a sense, the speed these wheels provide may come at the cost of their stability in strong winds. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are comments that ‘the braking is ok’. When I first got these hoops, I’d say the braking was outright shit. There is good modulation, but no bite, so I had to really yank on the brakes to pull up quickly if I needed to. I’ve only ridden them once in the rain and, obviously they were pretty crap at pulling up. To be fair, I am using used swiss stop black prince pads which is not ideal. Now that the rims have worn in a bit, the braking has certainly improved but still lacks bite. Other wheels like Bora WTOs or Zipp 404s are on another level in terms of braking.

Braking should be Winspaces primary focus for further product development of their rim brake wheels. I hear the Far Sports Ventoux-S wheels have tested amongst the best, so… maybe they should talk!

If you’re interested in riding (or feeling) fast, love a stiff and responsive set up, you basically cant do much better. Maybe the new Lightweight aero fernwegs are as fast, but they are something like 8 times more expensive and they are heavier. Feeling fast is an addictive and fun sensation, but it does come at the cost of comfort, cross-wind stability, and braking. The Hypers are therefore somewhat polarized in terms of their overall performance – class leading in some domains, lagging in others. What you get with a big brand wheel like a Zipp 404 (which is my favourite wheel) is a better overall balance across the wheels performance profile. Noting that Winspace themselves suggest that the 50s are almost as fast as the 65s, they may be a better buy on account of the promise of better stability in high winds (espeially for those not used to deep wheels).

For Winspaces next generation of wheels, they should focus on improving the braking as its number one priority, followed by eking out a bit more crosswind stability and producing hubs that feel a little more ‘special’ (whatever that means).

Overall I’m really happy because I don’t mind the trade offs for (the sensation of) speed. For me this means it doesn’t make sense to spend more on other brands. That said I think I'll give the Far Sports Ventoux a try - I'm sold the replaceable on carbon spoke format. (Cadex would also be worth a try, but they are very expensive).
My winspace hyper 65 are on their way I plan on doing a comparative test against my stock giant pa_2 alloy wheelset , will be using my power meter, and a local test loop, to do a few laps and get some real world data on how they perform.
Hopefully this will be more conclusive than the reviews we had before ,which relied on subjective feelings ....

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I just pre-orderd a set of Hyper 67's. I'll aim to write a follow-up review to accompany this one.

ziocomposite

by ziocomposite

zappafile123 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:40 am
I just pre-orderd a set of Hyper 67's. I'll aim to write a follow-up review to accompany this one.
Nice, looking forward to your impressions especially in crosswinds

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I've owned the Hyper 67's for a few months now, done a couple thousand km on them and the verdict is in!

Which is better - the Hyper 65 or the 67? The answer is... it depends on what you want out of your wheels.

Following the same format as above, here are my thoughts on the Hyper 67s

1. Lateral stiffness/Responsiveness/Acceleration: 8/10

Winspace argued that, via a change in the spoke angle of the rear wheel, the 2023 hoops have greater torsional stiffness and better power transfer. Overall I can’t tell the difference when riding out of the saddle as to whether the 67s are any stiffer than the 65s. What is quite noticeable, however, is that the 65s pack a better punch than the 67s. They feel more direct, more aggressive, and feel as though they accelerate faster. The 67s just feel a bit sluggish in comparison.

2. Weight: 9.5/10

Somehow Winspace have really pushed the envelope here and made wider hoops that are approx 70g lighter than my 65s (which weigh 1518g). But as we'll see below, Winspace have probably pushed things a bit too far down the lightweight path and compromised the strength of the rims somewhat. My set of rim brake wheels came out at approximately 1450g. A little over claimed weight, but still class leading for a wheelset of this depth.

3. Climbing: 7.5/10

The 67s are still pretty good overall, but given the responsiveness of the 65s, they win here too.

4. Comfort: 7/10

The added rim bed width allows the tires to swell out wider and really help take the edge off some of the higher-frequency road buzz vs. the 65s. It’s not a huge gain, but after a couple of hours you do notice it. the 67s win by a point here.

5. Aero performance/subjective sense of speed: 7/10

I am really surprised by this one. The 67s are noticeably slower than the 65s. I would love to pull some data on this but I don’t have time. Basically the way I know they are slower is from Centennial Park laps - I go there multiple times a week to do a 6 lap session. My average speeds for are almost always ~0.5km/h slower than on the 65s. This puts the 67s mid pack in competition whereas the 65s are pretty much the fastest wheels of that depth I've ridden.

No change here. I would prefer Winspace put NTN bearings in as the ceramic bearing they currently stock in the hypers aren’t great.

7. Crosswind stability: 7/10

This is the big win for the 67s. They are way more stable in cross winds than the 65s. They aren’t nearly as scary on fast open descents with strong gusts. This is the best improvement Winspace have made.

No change here. The braking is just 'OK'.

The Hyper67s are a little bit more expensive but still cheap compared to Enve, Zipp etc. (who are flagrantly stealing your money for products that aren’t better). In sum, the Hyper 67s are more comfortable and more stable in crosswinds than their antecedent. But the Hyper 65s are literally faster and feel more punchy/aggressive. I prefer the 65s. They're just better wheels for me. But if you want something a bit less aggressive, a bit gentler and better for rough roads and high winds, the 67s are a better fit.

10. Warranty issue with my 67s

I think Winspace have possibly gone too far thinning the rims down and made them fragile. As was the case with the 65s, installing tires on these wheels is *very* difficult. Most people cannot install tires by hand, you have to use tire levers. As I watched a mechanic edge a tire on with a plastic tire lever in front of me, the rim delaminated. I've lodged a warranty claim with Winsapce.

The moral here is be gentle and extra careful when installing tires. One possibility is that the shape of some tire levers could contribute to separating out the fairng from the rim bed by extering all the force on th edge of the fairing.
Attachments
321418361_754025546344637_7680419034543845618_n.jpg
329008458_1237283570211676_4646317203558078317_n.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-05 121733.png
Screenshot 2023-02-05 121733.png (11 KiB) Viewed 4357 times

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

zappafile123 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:17 am
I've owned the Hyper 67's for a few months now, done a couple thousand km on them and the verdict is in!

Which is better - the Hyper 65 or the 67? The answer is... it depends on what you want out of your wheels.

Following the same format as above, here are my thoughts on the Hyper 67s

1. Lateral stiffness/Responsiveness/Acceleration: 8/10

Winspace argued that, via a change in the spoke angle of the rear wheel, the 2023 hoops have greater torsional stiffness and better power transfer. Overall I can’t tell the difference when riding out of the saddle as to whether the 67s are any stiffer than the 65s. What is quite noticeable, however, is that the 65s pack a better punch than the 67s. They feel more direct, more aggressive, and feel as though they accelerate faster. The 67s just feel a bit sluggish in comparison.

2. Weight: 9.5/10

Somehow Winspace have really pushed the envelope here and made wider hoops that are approx 70g lighter than my 65s (which weigh 1518g). But as we'll see below, Winspace have probably pushed things a bit too far down the lightweight path and compromised the strength of the rims somewhat. My set of rim brake wheels came out at approximately 1450g. A little over claimed weight, but still class leading for a wheelset of this depth.

3. Climbing: 7.5/10

The 67s are still pretty good overall, but given the responsiveness of the 65s, they win here too.

4. Comfort: 7/10

The added rim bed width allows the tires to swell out wider and really help take the edge off some of the higher-frequency road buzz vs. the 65s. It’s not a huge gain, but after a couple of hours you do notice it. the 67s win by a point here.

5. Aero performance/subjective sense of speed: 7/10

I am really surprised by this one. The 67s are noticeably slower than the 65s. I would love to pull some data on this but I don’t have time. Basically the way I know they are slower is from Centennial Park laps - I go there multiple times a week to do a 6 lap session. My average speeds for are almost always ~0.5km/h slower than on the 65s. This puts the 67s mid pack in competition whereas the 65s are pretty much the fastest wheels of that depth I've ridden.

No change here. I would prefer Winspace put NTN bearings in as the ceramic bearing they currently stock in the hypers aren’t great.

7. Crosswind stability: 7/10

This is the big win for the 67s. They are way more stable in cross winds than the 65s. They aren’t nearly as scary on fast open descents with strong gusts. This is the best improvement Winspace have made.

No change here. The braking is just 'OK'.

The Hyper67s are a little bit more expensive but still cheap compared to Enve, Zipp etc. (who are flagrantly stealing your money for products that aren’t better). In sum, the Hyper 67s are more comfortable and more stable in crosswinds than their antecedent. But the Hyper 65s are literally faster and feel more punchy/aggressive. I prefer the 65s. They're just better wheels for me. But if you want something a bit less aggressive, a bit gentler and better for rough roads and high winds, the 67s are a better fit.

10. Warranty issue with my 67s

I think Winspace have possibly gone too far thinning the rims down and made them fragile. As was the case with the 65s, installing tires on these wheels is *very* difficult. Most people cannot install tires by hand, you have to use tire levers. As I watched a mechanic edge a tire on with a plastic tire lever in front of me, the rim delaminated. I've lodged a warranty claim with Winsapce.

The moral here is be gentle and extra careful when installing tires. One possibility is that the shape of some tire levers could contribute to separating out the fairng from the rim bed by extering all the force on th edge of the fairing.
Thanks for the write up and sorry to hear about the delamination. Hopefully they will be sorted.

I think what you have demonstrated is that new, wider rims are less aero and more stable in crosswinds. They are meant to work better with wider tyres (more comfort and grip), but as you have found there is a small aero penalty.

Some manufacturers have taken to removing weight from the wider rims to compensate in some ways, but clearly that has issues too.

But it does show the way the road bike industry is going: more comfort/accessibility, but at the expense of ultimate speed. There is still a niche for the 65's being faster.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress