Disc rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickB

by NickB

Open for discussion of course but please no, "that's not possible" comments, I don't lie.

As it happened. Used Spa Cycles Titanium bike. Kinesis fork. Hand built by Spa low end Shimano hubs on H Plus Son Rims. Shimano non series hydraulics. QR wheels.

I'm 100kg, bike 60cm. Tons of disc rub out of saddle, front and rear. Went at the problem pragmatically. Bought a used set of Mavics. Swapped all over, no rub. So its the wheels in some way.Sold Mavics. Rigged up dial guage on fork and pushed wheel rim to side, disc moved.
Now I'm no expert wheel builder but have done some for myself for fun, so I have a tension meter. No idea what spokes are so no calculations but tensioned them up by 10 on the meter. They felt now as my limited knowledge would have wanted them if I built.

Disc rub gone, entirley.

PS Cup and cone perfect, but maybe that's the area??

Cleaner

by Cleaner

If you measure the diameter of the thinnest section of the spokes (if they are butted) then you can know what tension they are at. This will let you have some confidence that the tension on all of the spokes is appropriate and below the max ratings for the rim and spokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If the discs move by pushing the rim sideways you've got play in the hub. Increase the preload. If your hubs don't come with preload adjusters sometimes it's just a matter of doing up the quickreleases really handbleeding tight. Shimano hubs have adjustment.

Have the wheels undergone a bearing change/service recently? That could explain why you're experiencing this.