Removing tubular glue from decals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

I have a set of Hyperon tubs which had quite a poor gluing job done on them (way too much glue). I took them to a shop to have the glue removed as I didn't feel like doing it myself. They did a decent enough job but... they've managed to make the overall rim a little bit sticky. They removed the glue mechanically using heat and some sort of plastic scraper, and I'm guessing the mechanic's hands/gloves got sticky and then he was touching the rim as he moved it around, etc., and it just spread stickiness around the place.

Is there anything I can do to get the tacky feeling off the rim? To be clear, this is not the rim bed, but the other side where the decals are (the Hyperon has lots of decals). It's Conti glue (the original Aluminium stuff).

Thanks.

eurostar

by eurostar

Acetone is a typical remedy for cleaning glue, but it could ruin the decals.Maybe alcohol would work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luften

by Luften

I'd say both of those would ruin the decals pretty quick

dj97223

by dj97223

Some Campag tubulars have decals under the clear coat, so you could use Goo Gone or something similar. Even if not under the clear coat, you should be able to carefully use something similar over the decal, but don't let it get to the decal edges, where it could seep under the decal and hit the decal glue.

Here are two more things you could try. Plain soap and water -- it will likely take some time to work. Or dab the stickiness with some very sticky tape to pull up the stickiness.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

eurostar

by eurostar

Petrol is another approved cleaner for carbon wheels.

Luften

by Luften

eurostar wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:11 am
Petrol is another approved cleaner for carbon wheels.
Would you use this on your decals?

Luften

by Luften

dj97223 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:23 pm
Some Campag tubulars have decals under the clear coat, so you could use Goo Gone or something similar. Even if not under the clear coat, you should be able to carefully use something similar over the decal, but don't let it get to the decal edges, where it could seep under the decal and hit the decal glue.

Here are two more things you could try. Plain soap and water -- it will likely take some time to work. Or dab the stickiness with some very sticky tape to pull up the stickiness.
They're not under the clear coat unfortunately. I'll try soap/water and the sticky tape trick. Thanks for the suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

The Lightweight manual says to use "standard paintwork cleaning products and water". I don't know which products they mean. Maybe car shampoo?