Carbonal wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tiz92

by tiz92

Hi guys,

thinking of a new wheelset. What do you think of Carbonal wheels? Are they on par with lightbycicle or farsports etc?

any reviews?

thanks

Tiz

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I looked at a set of Carbonal wheels but in the end went with LB because I couldn't find any reviews online.

However, their communication was good and prompt, I emailed them for a price and it was about $100USD cheaper than a similar LB build. The other thing was EMS wasn't shipping from China at the time of the order for any of the wheel brands but then Carbonal emailed me a week later saying they could do EMS shipping despite LB and Farsports saying they couldn't for another couple months.

They also provide one of their rims exclusively to a UK builder (i.e. you can only order this rim if you're outside the UK), so maybe thats a vote of confidence?
Last edited by TwiggyForest on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiz92

by tiz92

Yes I also did not find any review but their prices seem very competitive and as you said they emailed me right back and very politely. I will see now, beginning 2022 I will buy a new wheelset for my bike.

Probably/maybe they make rims for more "western brands" than we actually now.

Hoping that somebody comes with a review in the meantime.

Aesch

by Aesch

I've been reading up on rims a lot lately, since starting to do some building myself. LB is most expensive but i've not found a single negative review, Farsports close to this but significantly cheaper (i have multiple wheelsets/rims from both, look and feel similar to me but the FS are still quite new. The FS rims are very light, my gravel rims were 369grams..).
Other manufacturers are Nextie and BTLOS, which are cheaper again but generally get reviewed well (and for a prolonged time frame, you can find reports >8 years old). They offer some more modern shapes too, like 29 internal widt gravel deep rims or 24ish internal width (all)road. Carbonal does not (yet??).

Carbonal does say they have their own factory, which is good i guess since you're not paying a middle man, and prices are similar to Nextie and BTLOS. Have not found much on them too. I'd be inclined to go for Nextie or BTLOS for a next project if not staying with FS.

dont forget that shipping might be a big chunk on the total bill, differences are huge! ranging from 50-250USD for wheelset shipment on my last round of quotes...

tiz92

by tiz92

Thank you very much for this information. While I knew LB and FS, as well as Yoleo I never heared of BTLOS and Nextie. FS feder series is very nice and I am willing to spend a little more but they lack in a 38-40 mm rim and I really want something bigger than 35mm for aero gains in races.

Aesch

by Aesch

Depending on your requirements the feder 45 would be nice. 25mm in front blows up to 27ish, perfect with the 28mm external width rim. then depending on your weight and comfort requirements etc 25 or 28 at the rear.
I ride a 45mm feder with 28 front and rear for comfort on one bike and 46mm LB with 26+28mm tyre front and rear combo on the 'everything aero' bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiz92

by tiz92

Thanks guys. Very helpfull!!!