DT Swiss ratchet engagement and lubrication questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

Hi,

Just a quick question about the old DT Swiss ratchet system (18T).

If you use grease that is too thick, it may slow down the speed of engagement leading to a possible partial engagement and chipping of some teeth?

Let's assume I am running the system dry, than the engagement is super snappy and is guaranteed each time but may lead to slow grinding of the ridges of the teeth leading to poor engagement over time, correct?

Thanks
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't know about the effects of the grease viscosity. But I do know that DT Swiss advises 1) must use their 'red' grease, 2) never use too much grease. I think using a thicker grease would have the same effect as using too much grease. If there's too much grease the rachet teeth may not engage fully and accelerates teeth wear which will lead to further engagement issues. And to your last question I think you've got the correct answer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 am
I don't know about the effects of the grease viscosity. But I do know that DT Swiss advises 1) must use their 'red' grease, 2) never use too much grease. I think using a thicker grease would have the same effect as using too much grease. If there's too much grease the rachet teeth may not engage fully and accelerates teeth wear which will lead to further engagement issues. And to your last question I think you've got the correct answer.
Yes, of course was aware of DT Swiss recommendations. But I do not want to add a 47th jar of grease to me collection, I think by now I have a grease or lube for any possible scenario, besides, DT Swiss branded one is just re-branded and overpriced.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

musiclover wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:46 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 am
Yes, of course was aware of DT Swiss recommendations. But I do not want to add a 47th jar of grease to me collection, I think by now I have a grease or lube for any possible scenario, besides, DT Swiss branded one is just re-branded and overpriced.
Please grease the damned thing :D , it will prolong the usable life of you gear. I have a few sets of DT hubs and other stuff with ratchets, and i just use the same Shimano freehub grease i use for all the other engagement systems.
Only exception being my Chris King hubs, they run on oil. But even then, the manufacturer states that light grease can be used instead of their in-house branded oil, and going as far as disclosing Mobil 1 oil as a comparable alternative to their product.

Like many users here claim, run what you brung. Within reason this is...

musiclover

by musiclover

Some people recommend using silicone lube, but it is so fine it feels it is running dry. On the other hand, 18T was reported to be pretty bulletproof.