Bora WTO 33 vs Zipp 303 FC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

grnrcr wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:33 pm
What I have: Roval CLX50

What I want: Something that handles crosswinds more gracefully but still somewhat aero. The Rovals are fast wheels.

On paper, WTOs look like old tech compared to the new 303 FC. I’m planning to run either 28mm or 30mm tires. All signs point toward the Zipps, but the sexiness of the WTOs and their legendary hubs are clouding my judgement.

Anyone ridden both? Thoughts?
You have disc brakes i guess? Zipp are not hookless if you run rim brakes. Anyway, you probably look at 202 over 303 if you want a lower depth profile.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Nickldn wrote:The WTOs have an external width of 26.5mm, so absolutely un-aero with 28mm/30mm tyres.

On the other hand the 303 Firecrests are hookless........
At 33mm deep they are an un aero wheel. Makes square root of no difference if the tyre is wider than the rim on a shallow wheel.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

MasterBean

by MasterBean

pmprego wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:07 pm
(...) ultra fast tires like the GP5k (...)
Ultra fast, uh. Wow. One not using those doesn't even need to bother. Already lost even before the start. I hope anyone tells allaphilippe to switch to those otherwise he can already give the jersey away.

Nonetheless, for the OP, aren't the bora kind of double the price of the 303FC? Is it even a fair comparison? Shouldn´t you be looking at the nsw version of the 303 then?
You're thinking of the Ultra. That's twice the price of the FC. The standard Bora WTO is pretty much the same price.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

MasterBean wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Nickldn wrote:The WTOs have an external width of 26.5mm, so absolutely un-aero with 28mm/30mm tyres.

On the other hand the 303 Firecrests are hookless........
At 33mm deep they are an un aero wheel. Makes square root of no difference if the tyre is wider than the rim on a shallow wheel.

The WTO is also available in 45mm and 60mm depths. Hardly unareo.

But yeah the width doesn't matter for the 33mm
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

zaykay

by zaykay

I had Bora WTO 45 disc wheelset and now ride latest hookless disc 303 firecrests. These are rather different in ride wheel. Bora's are stiffer and racier feeling fast wheels. Bora's also have better and faster rolling hubs. Firescrests feel smoother and are more comfortable allroad wheels. Imo Bora's look a look better, Zipp's look cheap. Zipps are better in crosswinds. I would buy Bora's for racing and climbing, Zipps for rough roads and gravel. IMO Bora's felt faster in every application. 303 firecrests are not really a race wheels.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Yeah, all these threads about Zipp 303 and other wide, hookless wheels vs. 19mm internal width clinchers miss the point.

The former is good/great for gravel and so so for road, the later is road bike focused.

The bike market is moving in the direction of gravel/mixed use, where Zipp 303 excel. But if you want a road focused bike then stick to something more traditional.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress