Fulcrum Wind 40 vs Campagnolo Shamal carbon…or Fulcrum Racing Zero?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LucasNid

by LucasNid

It’s time for my Giant TCR Advanced 1 disc (2021) to get a wheelset upgrade from the stock PR-2 (approx weight 2000g).

Given that I have decided for a budget around $1,500 AUD, I have set my mind on two options:
Option 1. Fulcrum Wind 40 ($1,600 AUD), 40mm deep carbon rims with standard steel bearings. Declared Weight: 1620g.
Option 2. Campagnolo Shamal ($1,700 AUD), 35mm front and 40mm rear deep carbon rims with cup and cone bearings. Declared weight: 1585g.
Alternatively stick with alloy rims, with the Fulcrum Racing Zero ($1,200 AUD), 30mm deep alloy rims with the USB ceramic bearings. Declared Weight: 1590g.

Now, I live in Melbourne (Aus) in a bit of a hilly area, but no major climbs. The rest of my rides are pretty flattish.
I am tempted towards the Wind 40, being a sort of affordable carbon wheelset, although not sure if performance wise they are worse than the Racing Zero due to them not having ceramic bearings than the latter? Also, the Wind 40 albeit being carbon are heavier than the Racing Zero.

I know none of these are "light" wheels, but this is all I can afford.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com