Too good to be true - 1380g wheelset for $220 USD?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajmit3

by ajmit3

https://kotavelo.com.au/store/kotavelo- ... elset.html

Was looking at these (from Australia). I don't race anymore and I still love my CAAD10, so I wanted to upgrade the pig heavy wheels on it currently... I have had pro lite wheels (now kotavelo) and they were excellent - lasted 10,000km. However, I am wondering how these are going to be down the track, seem very cheap for the weight...

Any thoughts ? Any alternative recommendations for cheap alu clinchers ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Singular

by Singular

Looks an awful lot like Kinlin 22 on Novatec hubs, which is what everyone and their dog are selling whitelabelled. Nothing wrong with those, though (although the weight is lower than I would have guesstimated). The same(ish) is available from Wiggle house brand Prime, and a few of the Hunt offerings are not far off (and there are a dozen others). For really good rim-brake alloy clinchers at a reasonable price, Zonda are the gold standard.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I had a different pair of Kotavelo wheels (the 42mm set). The actual weight was close to 200g more than the stated. Other than that, I had no issues. Pretty sure the hubs are Novatec.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The weights don't quite add up.

It would be great to figure out the model numbers of the hubs/spokes/rims.

Novatec hubs, Pillar spokes and nipples, agreed. But Kinlin rims? XR-22T should be 24mm wide and 22mm deep. The pictured rim looks "boxier" than the XR-22T.

The rear wheel is laced properly. That I like.

What could be a concern is if they're using light 4gr spokes like Pillar 1420. That would not build a solid rear wheel together with a shallow alloy rim. I could ride that but I'm 65kg. If a heavier rider tries to use these it's likely they will deform the rims, develop cracks around the spoke holes or break an NDS spoke.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Thanks everyone - pulled the trigger on the Kotavelo R21's ... will let you know how they are ....

kidrob

by kidrob

ajmit3 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am
Thanks everyone - pulled the trigger on the Kotavelo R21's ... will let you know how they are ....
Please do; very interesting!

Oh, and I found this: http://afewspokesloose.com/2017/06/kota ... et-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com