Advice on rim width for a disc build.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bilwit wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:22 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:16 am
Wider rim, wider tires, disc... just more weight on top of more weight, etc. Moving from a 6kg rim brake VAM to a relative tank. I have accepted my destiny. :D
No need to compromise, you can have both if you really want 8) different horses for different courses, a concept that seems to get lost in the disc vs. rim armageddon debate
I think it's a comprimise but a worthwhile one. You want solid, aero, and comfort? The penalty is some weight. I'm pretty sure I won't find another braking system as light as my EE direct mounts. And I'm pretty sure my 28 or 30mm tires will be heavier than my 25mm's. I figure I can pull 5 or maybe even 10 pounds off my body so it's all good. But a few of my relatives who haven't seen me in a while thought I was dying of something the last time they saw me. 10 more pounds and there'd be no convincing them otherwise. Jokes on them - I'm super-fit and they're trying to justify muffin top. :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bilwit

by bilwit

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:52 am
I think it's a comprimise but a worthwhile one. You want solid, aero, and comfort? The penalty is some weight. I'm pretty sure I won't find another braking system as light as my EE direct mounts. And I'm pretty sure my 28 or 30mm tires will be heavier than my 25mm's. I figure I can pull 5 or maybe even 10 pounds off my body so it's all good. But a few of my relatives who haven't seen me in a while thought I was dying of something the last time they saw me. 10 more pounds and there'd be no convincing them otherwise. Jokes on them - I'm super-fit and they're trying to justify muffin top. :P
well I mean you can keep both bikes and ride them as appropriate for the course/conditions 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bilwit wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:37 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:52 am
well I mean you can keep both bikes and ride them as appropriate for the course/conditions 8)
Sadly the VAM was just not stiff enough for me. So it's gotta go. I still have other light bikes so I'll survive somehow. Going to be fun trucking around on a 7+kg disc bike though. My other disc bike is fendered up and has only ever been used for wet road duties. Never done any serious climbing or descending with it. And with 50's on the new steed, I should do okay on the flats.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Maddie

by Maddie

Interesting to read about the Factor not stiff enough. Which disc brake frame will it be?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Maddie wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:58 am
Interesting to read about the Factor not stiff enough. Which disc brake frame will it be?
It's an extraordinary story and I'll provide details when everything is sorted out. Factor has been excellent in helping me resolve the issue. The new frame will also be a Factor. All I have to do is wait for a 9170 groupset - January :evil: