NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
windscreen

by windscreen

I just ordered a pair of black wall 28s from Lordgun. It makes me shake my head that I can get tires delivered from Italy to the USA cheaper than I can find them from any US supplier.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

abatty

by abatty

Q1aoIqq-mqA0omsNvBmdxtixUH9ZIdMCQq48km7CbNc-62x128.jpg
Q1aoIqq-mqA0omsNvBmdxtixUH9ZIdMCQq48km7CbNc-62x128.jpg (1.95 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
Me riding 25mm versions on the winter bike last weekend. First puncture sealed nicely. Been very impressed with the performance of these tyres on 200mi of wet, flinty, potholed 'tarmac'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justRideIt

by justRideIt

I ordered two 30mm GP 5000 S TR from bike24, priced at 69,99€ each.

One weighed 300g, the other 304g.
Yes, I have removed the paper instructions inside the folded tires, but not the plastic band (you can subtract 0.7g for that :lol: ).

Mounted them on Roval CLX 50 wheels going onto Tarmac SL6.
Not the easiest tires to put on (had to use tire levers cautiously, although I used the inner channel). Once both beads were seated on the inner channel, the tires inflated easily, even with valve core installed. I used a compressor, but I guess it would've inflated with a standard track pump.
They now hold air well (even without sealant).

Width measures 30.4mm front and rear, inflated at 75 PSI. Guess they'll stretch a little over the next few days.

The former non-tubeless GP 5000 in 28mm measured 29.6mm on those Roval CLX 50.
So the new "S TR" are more true to labeled size.

Last season, I had two flats with "old" GP 5000 + Latex tubes, both happened on relatively smooth gravel sections and both from sidewall impacts.
Hopefully, the wider 30mm in tubeless will be more reliable for some smooth offroad sections :D

2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

Discodan

by Discodan

I don't normally give much credit to bikeradar technical integrity but this is an interesting data point based on some half decent back to back testing between the TL and TR https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/conti ... tr-review/ . In summary they are seeing a 7w saving under their test protocols which is better than BRR's difference but certainly not the mythic 20% savings

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Discodan wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:07 am
I don't normally give much credit to bikeradar technical integrity but this is an interesting data point based on some half decent back to back testing between the TL and TR https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/conti ... tr-review/ . In summary they are seeing a 7w saving under their test protocols which is better than BRR's difference but certainly not the mythic 20% savings

According to BikeRadar, the GP5K S TR required more power to hold 45km/h than the GP5K TL.

Mrmamil

by Mrmamil

justRideIt wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:42 pm
I ordered two 30mm GP 5000 S TR from bike24, priced at 69,99€ each.

One weighed 300g, the other 304g.
Yes, I have removed the paper instructions inside the folded tires, but not the plastic band (you can subtract 0.7g for that :lol: ).

Mounted them on Roval CLX 50 wheels going onto Tarmac SL6.
Not the easiest tires to put on (had to use tire levers cautiously, although I used the inner channel). Once both beads were seated on the inner channel, the tires inflated easily, even with valve core installed. I used a compressor, but I guess it would've inflated with a standard track pump.
They now hold air well (even without sealant).

Width measures 30.4mm front and rear, inflated at 75 PSI. Guess they'll stretch a little over the next few days.

The former non-tubeless GP 5000 in 28mm measured 29.6mm on those Roval CLX 50.
So the new "S TR" are more true to labeled size.

Last season, I had two flats with "old" GP 5000 + Latex tubes, both happened on relatively smooth gravel sections and both from sidewall impacts.
Hopefully, the wider 30mm in tubeless will be more reliable for some smooth offroad sections :D

Can you please share some photos of the tires on the CLX50? I want to have a feel of the 'bulb' effect of the 30mm tires. I have a pair of 30mm and plan to use them on the 303FC.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:13 am
Discodan wrote:

According to BikeRadar, the GP5K S TR required more power to hold 45km/h than the GP5K TL.
In the flavour of 8w which is actually pretty significant at 45kph.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Don't you wish Continental would release thier data on how they came up with 20% faster than the TL? I mean I don't think they would just make that up - maybe embelish a little but they wouldn't have said they were faster if they were slower in their tests.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Mrmamil wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:12 am
Can you please share some photos of the tires on the CLX50? I want to have a feel of the 'bulb' effect of the 30mm tires. I have a pair of 30mm and plan to use them on the 303FC.
Here you go Mrmamil.
30mm tire mounted on Roval CLX 50.
Inflated to 60 PSI, measures 30.4mm wide.

The tires have been sitting on the rim without sealant since five days and were still well inflated, lost only a couple PSI. So they seem to hold air quite well.

Optically, there definitely is the "bulb" effect you speak of.
Tire comes out much wider than the 105% rule suggests, and definitely does not look as "sleek" and aero as say a 25mm.

For me personally, as a non-racer, I do not mind these optics nor any loss in performance.
Priority #1 to me is the added comfort of running lower tire pressures. :beerchug:

2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

kode54

by kode54

That looks pretty nice!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

Discodan wrote:
Roller testing can give good results but it requires very careful attention to protocol. The red flag for me is that the TL tire was "lightly used", tires should either be new or have the exact same amount of wear for comparisons to be valid. I've seen data showing that rolling resistance can drop noticeably with a new tire during early miles, then stabilizes once the tire is "broken in". Personally, I think the testing by BRR and Aerocoach has more credibility.

kervelo

by kervelo

How do you find the puncture protection of the new TR so far? Would you choose the tyre for your rainy day road bike?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I picked up a couple of these in 700x25 at my local shop and they came in at 244g and 250g with the shipping strap still attached. It's odd they would be six grams differnt since they were undoubtedly from the same batch. I plan on putting them on my race bike this spring.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

bobones

by bobones

kervelo wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:24 pm
How do you find the puncture protection of the new TR so far? Would you choose the tyre for your rainy day road bike?
I've been riding black 25s on my winter bike for a good while now,and they're holding up fine. I got a couple of punctures from thorns in the first few days that sealed no problem, but nothing since, and they've seen a lot of wet, gritty roads in that time. I think they work well in any weather.

alanyu

by alanyu

tritiltheend wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:19 am
Discodan wrote:
Roller testing can give good results but it requires very careful attention to protocol. The red flag for me is that the TL tire was "lightly used", tires should either be new or have the exact same amount of wear for comparisons to be valid. I've seen data showing that rolling resistance can drop noticeably with a new tire during early miles, then stabilizes once the tire is "broken in". Personally, I think the testing by BRR and Aerocoach has more credibility.
This ia not true on GP5K TL, which goes aging from mile 1, tested by BRR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com