NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

Off topic, but curious what you carry for when/if you need to put some pressure back in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Hand mini pump (Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon), mounted underneath seat tube bottle cage.
For plugging holes: Dynaplug Carbon Racer with its two plugs + 3 extra tips (two small, one big).
And if this fails to fix the tubeless setup in a road-side repair, then I put a tube inside.
For this I carry a light Tubolito S-Tubo Road.
Don't forget to remove the plugs before inflating tube, otherwise it will say "goodbye".

I've carried CO2 cartridges + CO2 head in the past, but find the cartridges heavy (esp. if you carry two 16g cartridges).
Also if you mess up/ miss the shots, you are out of gas.
Mini pump I find more reliable, but it does not give you high volume in short time, which might be required to get tubeless tire seated again. But I don't think a 16g cartridge delivers enough oomph for that.

If your rim and tire make a good connection along the interface, then the tire beads should stay on, even if the tire is completely flat.
The dried sealant along the beads helps here, acting like a glue.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

bobones

by bobones

Last edited by bobones on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD

by MikeD

bobones wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:20 pm
Dynaplugs are nice but uber expensive
The plugs cost about the same as a gel, but you'll only use a handful a year, if that. The ultralight carbon tool costs about £20. How is that uber expensive in a world where £5k bikes and £60 tyres is the norm? I'll gladly pay a small premium for something that actually works.
What's a gel?

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:Anyone who rides tubeless without a DynaPlug Racer (Pro) or Micro Pill is missing out. Who cares if refills cost a little extra when they work better than anything else and save your ride without having to insert a tube? 5 soft-point plugs cost $10 on BikeTiresDirect. Besides my experiment with the Pro One TTs where I used three of them on a pair of tires, I haven't needed to use one all year. It's a wonderful safety net though, and the Racer Pro fits in my nylon canvas ride wallet.

Worms/bacon will slowly migrate out of a puncture unless you ride with your tire at low pressures for several days, allowing the sealant to cure/coagulate around the plug. Stan's Darts? They literally don't work on small punctures. When you stab the tire with the barb the rubber plug slides off the barb and never gets inserted into the puncture.
Bacon strips are pretty long. If you shove most of its length in the puncture, I would think it would be pretty unlikely that the whole strip will migrate out. But, I've only used a bacon strip once and it only migrated out about 1/8". I've seen it reported that the metal tip of a Dynaplug can pop off and rattle around in the tire.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

MikeD wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm
bobones wrote:
MikeD wrote:
The plugs cost about the same as a gel, but you'll only use a handful a year, if that. The ultralight carbon tool costs about £20. How is that uber expensive in a world where £5k bikes and £60 tyres is the norm? I'll gladly pay a small premium for something that actually works.
What's a gel?
Not the OP, but I read that as an energy gel.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 pm
Anyone who rides tubeless without a DynaPlug Racer (Pro) or Micro Pill is missing out. Who cares if refills cost a little extra when they work better than anything else and save your ride without having to insert a tube? 5 soft-point plugs cost $10 on BikeTiresDirect. Besides my experiment with the Pro One TTs where I used three of them on a pair of tires, I haven't needed to use one all year. It's a wonderful safety net though, and the Racer Pro fits in my nylon canvas ride wallet.

Worms/bacon will slowly migrate out of a puncture unless you ride with your tire at low pressures for several days, allowing the sealant to cure/coagulate around the plug. Stan's Darts? They literally don't work on small punctures. When you stab the tire with the barb the rubber plug slides off the barb and never gets inserted into the puncture.
I've had great success with just using small lengths of cotton butcher's cord inserted with the Genuine Innovations "fork" tool. The key to having them stay put is performing a ~quarter-turn twist of the tool prior to removal. This forms a loop inside the tire that makes it more difficult to work it's way out and even eventually becomes a "mushroom head" after sealant coagulates on it. Never had one of these come out in hundreds to thousands of miles of riding on them. No need to "ride at low pressures for several days". They've basically been permanent repairs on tires for me. Much less expensive than Dyna Plug and very easy to use since the cotton cord can be pre-loaded in the tool and ready to go. BTW, the same "twist" technique should be used with the elastomer coated "strips of bacon" as well to prevent pull-out. The full write-up is here: https://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... gging.html

MikeD

by MikeD

Mocs123 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm
bobones wrote:
MikeD wrote:
What's a gel?
Not the OP, but I read that as an energy gel.
Huh. Thought he meant sealant.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Results are in from BRR, according to them basically the same performance as the old TL tyre and slightly worse puncture protection.

Jarno found it much easier to fit which is a big win though.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -5000-s-tr

Aryeh

by Aryeh

CampagYOLO wrote:Results are in from BRR, according to them basically the same performance as the old TL tyre and slightly worse puncture protection.

How disappointing. So only benefits are lowee weight and easier mounting but RR is not improved and puncture protection for the tread is worse.
I wonder why all the pros used it, if its just a lighter GP5K TL.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Aryeh wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am
CampagYOLO wrote:Results are in from BRR, according to them basically the same performance as the old TL tyre and slightly worse puncture protection.

How disappointing. So only benefits are lowee weight and easier mounting but RR is not improved and puncture protection for the tread is worse.
Yeah. I'm tempted to go for the Veloflex Corsa Race's next spring. According to BRR slightly more RR but less weight and much better puncture protection.

Also having ridden Veloflex tyres before, the ride quality and grip will be better than GP5000's.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

First ride this morning (had man flu).

Hated GP5000TL, always loved corespun casing tyres due to superior feel and grip.

Think these shall be my go to tyre. 700x28 come out at 29.2mm on 21ID Rovals. 275g on the nose.

Ran 72R/62.5F. Very comfy, not like riding on hose pipes. Felt spritely and rolled beautifully.

They shall be staying on my SL7 until the tan model arrives ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

ryanw wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:28 am
First ride this morning (had man flu).

Hated GP5000TL, always loved corespun casing tyres due to superior feel and grip.

Think these shall be my go to tyre. 700x28 come out at 29.2mm on 21ID Rovals. 275g on the nose.

Ran 72R/62.5F. Very comfy, not like riding on hose pipes. Felt spritely and rolled beautifully.

They shall be staying on my SL7 until the tan model arrives ;)
Interesting. I know that you have good experience of Veloflex tyres, how would you compare the 5000 TR's and the Corsa Race's?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

CampagYOLO wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 am
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am

Yeah. I'm tempted to go for the Veloflex Corsa Race's next spring. According to BRR slightly more RR but less weight and much better puncture protection.

Also having ridden Veloflex tyres before, the ride quality and grip will be better than GP5000's.
I agree with this assessment of GP5000 vs Veloflex Corsa. The Corsa is lighter, has more puncture protection and will be more comfortable, with a small hit to RR and I assume tread wear longevity.

I am seriously considering the Corsa as my next tyre, but don't understand how it can be lighter than the GP5000 and yet have more puncture protection. Surely there must be another disadvantage?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Yes, bit disappointing. Did they beef up the sidewalls because they know that that is an area that struggles to seal with tubeless?

I suppose if it is lighter, not slower but rides better and is easier to fit to a broader range of wheels that is still a massive win.

I have to say I was hoping for a Watt or more of improvement.