NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Casio20

by Casio20

Hi, how can I see which revision I'm having and is the brown skin version lighter than the black version? Thx

kode54

by kode54

manystyles wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 am
Noctiluxx wrote:My girlfriend just got the 25mm GP5000 ST R's for her hookless wheels. What psi do you guys recommend for her 130-lbs body weight?
I’d use this calculator as a baseline: https://psicalculator.com

If you try what it’s recommending and modify to personal preferences.
Most likley tubed psi. For my 32mm tires running tubeless...i vary from 38-42.5psi...and most times...i fill to 41psi and may drop 1psi as i yank the inflator head off. And i weigh 20 lbs more.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Casio20 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:17 pm
Hi, how can I see which revision I'm having and is the brown skin version lighter than the black version? Thx
The natural color sidewall version is hard to come by so there's not a lot of data, but it appears to be slightly heavier by the few people that have weighed examples on this thread. I'm not sure the reason for that as they should be the same.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

youngs_modulus wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am
I happened to be shopping for this exact tire online today. They're currently going for about $95 each here in the US. You've bought sixteen of them; that would cost me over $1500.

Did you buy 16 blackwall GP5000 TRs in 700x32 for personal use? Are you a buyer for a shop? I don't mean to pry--mostly I'm just jealous of your stash.
I didn't buy a total of 16 tires. I bought a total of 13 from two purchases. This is all for personal use. I do ride a lot. I also have two other riders in the family. My wife rides too but only on a tandem with me being the captain. A tandem wears down a rear tire really really fast. One of my two sons also rides although not nearly as much as me as he's currently in college. Also, I managed to slash and destroy a rear tire about a month ago. So I found myself in a position of needing more new tires. Lastly, I didn't buy them in the U.S. and pay the high retail prices. I bought the first batch from R2-Bike and the second batch from Starbike, the sponsor of this website. So support Starbike if you can. It seems they have plenty of the 30mm and 32mm in stock. They are giving a quantity discount on the 30mm last time I checked. It could be that the 30mm are v1. It's hard to say for sure.

Some additional clarifications are needed. My second batch of tires also have the ribbed interior finish. The ribbings aren't as pronounced as the previous generation TL. But why did Conti put a different finish on the 32s? And what about the 30s? It seems that nobody on this forum has bought a 30 yet. The two batches of my 32 tires all appear to be identical visually in every aspect. I also checked my scale to make sure that it wasn't off. I checked it by weighing two brand new tires from the first batch and the numbers agreed with my documented weights from when I got the first batch.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Thanks for the explanation! And I love buying from places like R2-bike, Merlin, etc. I just hadn't checked their prices recently.

Here's an idea: look for those subtle and cryptic markings molded into the tire that encode the manufacturing batch and other information. Many car tires have this, and Continental may do it for their bicycle tires as well. It may be possible to decode these markings (if they're present) or at least help get a sense of how closely "related" your two sets are.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A new test report came out from BRR on the 32mm S TR. As compared to the 32mm TL under the same test protocol, the S TR is between 14-16% faster. When they tested the 25mm S TR they found it be to slighter slower than the 25mm TL! So did Conti make some changes to the tire that are reflected only on the later batches? Or perhaps the claimed RR improvements favor the larger sizes? In any case there is a real and measurable RR improvement but so far only showed up on the 32mm.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

I got a pair of 25mm weigh is 245 and 249g for the black version. Since I will ride them after March, no further info until then ;)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Mounted a pair of 25mm 5000S TR's on my girlfriends bike with ease. She says they feel faster and a bit more grippy than than her previous Enve tires. The tires do however look more narrow than any other 25mm tire I've seen.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

RichBUK

by RichBUK

I bought some 28mm from Mantel last week when they came back in stock, they've been delivered today.

Not sure how to tell if they are the 'new batch' but there is a sticker inside that says 1121 on them, presumably November 21 manufacturing date. Weight is 276g for the one i've got out the box so far.

RDY

by RDY

Any word yet on whether there's going to be a cream / tan wall option at some point, instead of just the ugly brown printed strip 'transparent' option?

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Yes i was wondering too... The ugly brown is no go for sure.

Thr black are boring and the cream look soo good, i dont understand companies some times

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mrmamil

by Mrmamil

Bike-components.de just restocked the black 28mms.

JWTS

by JWTS

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 am
A new test report came out from BRR on the 32mm S TR. As compared to the 32mm TL under the same test protocol, the S TR is between 14-16% faster. When they tested the 25mm S TR they found it be to slighter slower than the 25mm TL! So did Conti make some changes to the tire that are reflected only on the later batches? Or perhaps the claimed RR improvements favor the larger sizes? In any case there is a real and measurable RR improvement but so far only showed up on the 32mm.
I'm not sure that's really what they found, though... I think it's pretty well-understoond that if you keep tire pressure constant, all else equal the wider tire rolls faster on test rollers. The new 5000S in a 25mm is about 5% more narrow. I think if you normalized tire pressure for the more narrow 5000S, it does actually roll slightly faster than the 5000TL.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JWTS wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:56 am

I'm not sure that's really what they found, though... I think it's pretty well-understoond that if you keep tire pressure constant, all else equal the wider tire rolls faster on test rollers. The new 5000S in a 25mm is about 5% more narrow. I think if you normalized tire pressure for the more narrow 5000S, it does actually roll slightly faster than the 5000TL.

The difference was within margin of error for BRR's setup, so yeah it's unfair to say the 25mm GP5K S TR is slower. It is close enough to be the same...plus different samples may produce slightly different results.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

JWTS wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:56 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 am
I don't know how Jarno measures tire width but from my experience the width of a tire can vary >1mm depending on where you take the measurement. If you have a digital caliper you can try it out. Take 5-6 measurements at random areas and you'll see what I mean. When I report tire width as measured I always take six measurements and report the average figure. I still think on average the TL and S TR are identically sized. The reported difference by Jarno comes down to measurement margin of error and tire-to-tire variability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com