NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Orlok

by Orlok

tritiltheend wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:05 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 am
Just found all the weights

25 = 225g
28 = 240g
30 = 270g
If that's accurate, the 25 & 28 are exactly the same weight as the current tubed version, and the 30 is 15 g heavier. Seems hard to believe? Anything about a 32C version?
It's because they are all tube versions and not tubeless.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

usr

by usr

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:23 am
What if they keep the TL version as is but what we're seeing is the non tubeless version to be upgraded to TR?
This, to me it looks like they are basically greenlighting the regular version to "feel free to do a tubeless conversion with lots of sealant".

Hope they didn't do a change to the beads while phasing out the "tube only" in favor of a "one size fits all" TR, considering how much harder to install/remove the TL is compared to the regular.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Sadly, I didn't find Conti on the list of companies at Eurobike, so likely no reveal tomorrow.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

alanyu

by alanyu

I hope the new GP5000 TR has the on par proctection as GP5000 TL and the on par grip as GP4000SII. GP5000 TL is too slippery on wet or gravel roads.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

If the tire really is significantly lighter, I don't think it is intended for gravel.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

usr wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:23 am
What if they keep the TL version as is but what we're seeing is the non tubeless version to be upgraded to TR?
This, to me it looks like they are basically greenlighting the regular version to "feel free to do a tubeless conversion with lots of sealant".

Hope they didn't do a change to the beads while phasing out the "tube only" in favor of a "one size fits all" TR, considering how much harder to install/remove the TL is compared to the regular.

One of the reasons why the GP5K TL could be phased out so quickly is because the bead dimensions aren’t standard. It's not only hookless rims that the GP5K doesn't play nice with, but some hooked rims too.

warthog101

by warthog101

I have only one set of wheels I have tried the TL on.
Prime rr v3 50mm.
Goes on by hand and not specifically much harder than any other tyre I've used.
No levers required to put on.
Do use them to remove however.

Perhaps those wheels are easy to fit any tyre on?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 am
Prime rr v3 50mm.

It's a game of luck depending on rim manufacturer.
Plus in some cases the 5000TL's are notoriously hard or even impossible to be sealed back if they ever have been removed from the wheels after some mileage.
Search and read the appropriate thread here, let's stay on the upcoming change discussion in this one.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I hope it's a lighter and faster option as my experience with GPTT has been quite decent (better than Corsa Speed) and GP5000TL is quite hefty for summer use on good roads.

Conti is a big company when you take into account all their interests and I can't see them admitting they are "wrong" when it comes to specifications and compatibility.

Would be interesting to see a faster option and a grippier option from them though.

warthog101

by warthog101

mrlobber wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 am
Prime rr v3 50mm.

It's a game of luck depending on rim manufacturer.
Plus in some cases the 5000TL's are notoriously hard or even impossible to be sealed back if they ever have been removed from the wheels after some mileage.
Search and read the appropriate thread here, let's stay on the upcoming change discussion in this one.
Simply giving my experience with them.
There was discussion of them potentially being dropped.
I hope that aint the case as I would go so far as to say they are the best tyre I have ever used for my type of riding.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

im hoping for hookless compatibility as well. and of course....Tubeless ready isnt...tubeless easy...which it definitely was not. lol. :mrgreen:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

RDY

by RDY

Regardless of performance or application, I hope they offer a tan wall option on both these and the rest of the GP5000s in all sizes.

kevinw

by kevinw

I'm pretty excited by these. I've tried a few tyres now but always come back to the GP5K TL despite their faults.

But if the weight loss is due to going from tubless (TL) to tubeless ready (TR) then it will be interesting to see how much weight reduction is cancelled out by how much sealant gets soaked up.
Last edited by kevinw on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usr

by usr

kevinw wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am
But if the weight gain is due to going from tubless (TL) to tubeless ready (TR) then it will be interesting to see how much weight reduction is cancelled out by how much sealant gets soaked up.
But I could easily imagine that n grams more sealant required to stop the leakage could contribute far more to overall flat defense than the same n grams added as less leaky-when-dry sidewalls. Overall benefits (or lack thereof) would surely depend a lot on the specific chemistry of the sealant involved...

PS: currently suffering through the pains of a TL setup for using up the 5000TL I bought for my first attempt. First attempt failed after spending days failing to to re-install after patching an insufficiently sealing hole caught on the first 60 kilometers. Now I'm giving them another chance in WTOs where I don't need tape and it's indeed not quite as painful as before. But that new setup is hilariously heavy, going from cheapish Reynolds to 80g lighter Bora ends up almost 200g heavier (not all of this is regular GP5K+Aerothan vs TL+sealant, there's also an Edco vs Campag casette involved which is responsible for about 50% of the increase)
Last edited by usr on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

weight loss you mean :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com