NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have sourced some 25mm GP5000S TRs for my ZX1 commuter/training bike. They will arrive next week I hope.

Am I being a bit optimistic intending to use these for commuting in West London/Surrey? Roads are ok, but of course not perfect. Lots of potholes and some debris.

Using Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's with Conti Supersonic tubes at 80psi F/85psi R and been relatively happy with comfort and RR.

Will the TRs stand up to regular use?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:22 pm
I have sourced some 25mm GP5000S TRs for my ZX1 commuter/training bike. They will arrive next week I hope.

Am I being a bit optimistic intending to use these for commuting in West London/Surrey? Roads are ok, but of course not perfect. Lots of potholes and some debris.

Using Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's with Conti Supersonic tubes at 80psi F/85psi R and been relatively happy with comfort and RR.

Will the TRs stand up to regular use?

The GP5K S TR are still Contis, so they still have issues with vertical sidewall tears. They also still shed those strings just above the abrasion protection layer covering the bead. My GP5K s TR treads looked pretty beat up after 3700mi, but I rarely have rear tires last that long.

qickslvr2

by qickslvr2

In terms of wear and tear, what signs on the gp5000s tr’s indicate it’s time to replace?

Scenario 1: no punctures just worn down to a marker?

Scenario 2: some punctures that sealed - how many is too many, or how big is too big to live with?

I’ve put 1,400km on my gp5000s tr’s. I got caught out in some post-rain debris a couple days ago and got punctures front and back. I’m still trying to clean the sealant off my legs, but on the positive side they sealed without loss of pressure and I could keep riding.

Now I’m planning some multi-day rides I want to keep an eye out for signs I should replace them. (not that I can find replacements online right now)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

qickslvr2 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:46 pm
In terms of wear and tear, what signs on the gp5000s tr’s indicate it’s time to replace?

Scenario 1: no punctures just worn down to a marker?

Scenario 2: some punctures that sealed - how many is too many, or how big is too big to live with?

I’ve put 1,400km on my gp5000s tr’s. I got caught out in some post-rain debris a couple days ago and got punctures front and back. I’m still trying to clean the sealant off my legs, but on the positive side they sealed without loss of pressure and I could keep riding.

Now I’m planning some multi-day rides I want to keep an eye out for signs I should replace them. (not that I can find replacements online right now)

Scenario 1: I go until the tread starts to rip off in small chunks.
Scenario 2: If a puncture seals and stays sealed, you have no reason not to keep riding. If you start puncturing often later in the tire's life, then that's a good sign you might want to replace the tire.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm tempted go for it with the TRs, I spent what was nearly decade with GP4000 and they were OK. Would be happy with 2,500 miles from the rear.

I'll try a front first and see how that goes for grip and puncture protection. If all goes well I'll change the back.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I should mention that I have north of 5000km on my GP 5000 non-tubeless at this point and they are still going - markers still visible on both front and rear. This lifespan is frankly ridiculous.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I did over 10k on my last set of GP5000... but I switched front and rear every 2-3k

refthimos

by refthimos

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:31 pm
I should mention that I have north of 5000km on my GP 5000 non-tubeless at this point and they are still going - markers still visible on both front and rear. This lifespan is frankly ridiculous.
Yeah it got the the point with the 5000 TLs that I would swap them out after a few thousand miles, not because they were worn out, but because I wanted to proactively avoid "low tread punctures" and I like the feel of new rubber (unquestionably placebo effect).

I ride on a lot of bad LA streets and haven't had a puncture (that didn't seal so that I could keep riding no problem) in the last 2+ years/20K miles.

Starting to transition to the 5000S TRs but still have to get through a few more 5000 TLs because... well, they last so darn long!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Oh, the new rubber definitely has more grip than well used pair after 10000km :D
The difference is very noticable, its not just placebo...

polpy

by polpy

is someone running the contis in 30mm on 25mm ID hookless rims and can tell me how wide they are? Cant decide between 28 and 30mm ...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TribesMan wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:04 pm
Oh, the new rubber definitely has more grip than well used pair after 10000km :D
The difference is very noticable, its not just placebo...
In my placebo experience, most tire's grip peak at about 200mi old. GP5000 clincher peak at about 50 mi old. I haven't try the tubeless one.
Too new and shiny tire out of the mold doesn't grip that well until a short break in.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I honestly can't tell a difference past the first couple of rides. And on the first couple of rides, the grip isn't the issue...it's the compliance / suppleness. GP5K S TR definitely need a ride or two for the casing to "loosen up."

skalnik

by skalnik

polpy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm
is someone running the contis in 30mm on 25mm ID hookless rims and can tell me how wide they are? Cant decide between 28 and 30mm ...
I mounted some 30s on some SES 3.4 ARs and they measure ~32

polpy

by polpy

skalnik wrote:
polpy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm
I mounted some 30s on some SES 3.4 ARs and they measure ~32
Thanks, i also have the 3.4ar. Luckily 28mm are everywhere sold out and especially the tan-walls have lead times from hell. (Europe)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've got loads of 28mm balck STRs... Not sure what the problem is ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop