NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
petromyzon

by petromyzon

http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/essai-roule ... 5000-s-tr/

Alban Lorenzini first to publish data. My French isn't great but I think he says the tyre is ballpark 10% faster than GP5000TL and, with a tube in, would be ~0.5W faster than GP5000 at 30kph.

Not life changing but as a like for like replacment for the old tyre a pretty substantial difference. This sort of advantage would be quite difficult to ignore if you are a high level rider not on Conti IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I know I can't feel .5W. I just bought a GP5000TL for $39 to get me through the winter. I'll get the newer tire when I see it on sale in the spring.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:13 pm

Alban Lorenzini first to publish data. My French isn't great but I think he says the tyre is ballpark 10% faster than GP5000TL and, with a tube in, would be ~0.5W faster than GP5000 at 30kph.

Not life changing but as a like for like replacment for the old tyre a pretty substantial difference. This sort of advantage would be quite difficult to ignore if you are a high level rider not on Conti IMHO.

He's testing by actually riding on rollers, which isn't great.

30km/h is also considerably slower than any race or group ride around here. I'll wait for BRR or Aerocoach's test as either should show the GP5KS TR on par with the Corsa Speed.

85L

by 85L

petromyzon wrote:

Not exactly, that's the opposite. He's saying first that 5000TL is 0.5W faster that 5000STR. But this difference is revealed with panaracer R'air tubes and that's not the way this tyre has to be used since it's a tubeless (ready) tyre.
Below, he's comparing 5000STR with 5000+vittoria latex tubes (since BRR is saying 5000+latex tubes is pretty equivalent at 0.1W to 5000TL) and it's 6.6W faster on rollers (that means 1W on the road, for him).
He estimates that it's not 20% faster claimed by continental but more realisticly 10%, waiting for more precise data.

RDY

by RDY

Seems like tan / brown wall are delayed until December at least.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RDY wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am
Seems like tan / brown wall are delayed until December at least.
Yep, been told potentially even early 2023 for us in the UK.

Black should be here next week.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kevinw

by kevinw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:45 am
kevinw wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 am
bobones wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:05 pm
At 80 PSI the measured width was 25.4 mm, slightly bigger than my 23mm Corsa Speed G2, which came in at 25mm on the dot.
That's good news 👍 I think the my current gp5k measure around 26mm on my WTOs.... like you I had tried a 23mm speed to make sure I adhered to the 105% rule but it punctured in no time.

25.4mm on day one pretty much guarantees they'll be >26mm in no time.

As a hyper-recent example. The Challenge Strada Pro HTLR I just installed on Tuesday night were 25.4-25.5mm on 19mm internal rims. After three days of riding they are already 26.0-26.1mm.
No doubt but my GP5k TL tyres were 26mm when new so hopefully there is some improvement.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

RDY wrote:Seems like tan / brown wall are delayed until December at least.
I wonder why. R2bike is still saying November for all of them. It originally said October

polpy

by polpy

Aryeh wrote:
RDY wrote:Seems like tan / brown wall are delayed until December at least.
I wonder why. R2bike is still saying November for all of them. It originally said October
Which, is at least for me the only reason to switch :D

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just seen the UK distributor had 6x 28mm black in stock so bought them. Next batch said to be March.

I have 22x 28c on order, so hopefully these will get out well before then!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 pm

30km/h is also considerably slower than any race or group ride around here. I'll wait for BRR or Aerocoach's test as either should show the GP5KS TR on par with the Corsa Speed.
The test methodology is a little confused, yes. I used to speak French well, but I'm rusty; I'm a native Anglophone, but I was unclear on the methodology regardless of whether I read the post in French or Google English.

What's not great about the rollers+SRM? Is it the ambiguity I mentioned above, or do you have a broader objection to the methodology? There's no wrong answer here...I'm just trying to follow your argument.

Objectively, it's not clear to me that a 10% improvement is reliably detectable with that setup, but I don't have enough info to be sure.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

youngs_modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:27 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 pm

The test methodology is a little confused, yes. I used to speak French well, but I'm rusty; I'm a native Anglophone, but I was unclear on the methodology regardless of whether I read the post in French or Google English.

What's not great about the rollers+SRM? Is it the ambiguity I mentioned above, or do you have a broader objection to the methodology? There's no wrong answer here...I'm just trying to follow your argument.

Objectively, it's not clear to me that a 10% improvement is reliably detectable with that setup, but I don't have enough info to be sure.

Your last sentence sums it up. There's a lot of sources of noise in his setup whether it's his legs, lateral movement, no secondary power measurement. Does he sufficiently clean the rollers between tests? Did he maintain the same room temperature or at least roller temperature between tests? I know he said he allowed it to warm up, perhaps that's sufficient. I honestly don't know.

I like Aerocoach's approach of both using a drum and then following up with real-world tests.

bigvern

by bigvern

85L wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49 am
petromyzon wrote:

Not exactly, that's the opposite. He's saying first that 5000TL is 0.5W faster that 5000STR. But this difference is revealed with panaracer R'air tubes and that's not the way this tyre has to be used since it's a tubeless (ready) tyre.
Below, he's comparing 5000STR with 5000+vittoria latex tubes (since BRR is saying 5000+latex tubes is pretty equivalent at 0.1W to 5000TL) and it's 6.6W faster on rollers (that means 1W on the road, for him).
He estimates that it's not 20% faster claimed by continental but more realisticly 10%, waiting for more precise data.
conti are saying its perfectly fine to run with tubes

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Of course it's fine to put a tube in - but the point of tubeless tires is......oh never mind! :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I think I saw where Conti was saying it was faster than the tube GP5000 though you don't know if that was tested with Latex tubes and they are 30g heavier per tire.

I do have one person in my club running a tubeless tire with a tube as it was nearly new when it got a puncture that wouldn't seal with sealent and he didn't want to buy a whole new tire.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg