NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MXM

by MXM

Is anyone experiencing sidewall sealant weeping? I am running the 28c with 30 ml of Caffelatex at 68 psi as per the wheel manufacturer instructions (Giant) for my weight of 85 kg. It is the rear wheel only. Other than that, the tire has been great, no punctures after about 250 km.

Sorry about the photo, it isn’t great but you’ll get the idea. Is this common or should I warranty the tire? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't have any issues using Orange Seal. However I have had weeping issues with some but not all of my Terra Speeds using Orange Seal. It seems that this issue affects some but not all tires of the same make/model. Probably due to manufacturing variances?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

Weeping tires usually eventually seal up right

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

MXM wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:56 pm
Is anyone experiencing sidewall sealant weeping?
My Conti's don't do that, however, the Michelin tires on my mountain bike do that all the time and I think it's weird. I can't say it's caused any problems. All my bikes use Stan's No Tubes sealant (for better or for worse).

Leuen

by Leuen

Thanks! :thumbup:
I just ordered a pair. :D

spartacus

by spartacus

And they're gone again. Could be other retailers are getting stock about now though.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The TRs are unlined, tires are pourous. TL (true tubeless) = fancy clear lining, no sealant needed; TS (tubeless ready) = unlined, sealant needed. If you've got high pressures, the air will force some of the lighter fluid components through the tire. The sealant will seal it. Just wipe it off.
I used to have a set of GravelKing SK's that had a distinct orange tone to them from Orange Seal.

Shiny TL lining that keeps goo in -https://bikerumor.com/wp-content/upload ... -liner.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 pm
The TRs are unlined, tires are pourous. TL (true tubeless) = fancy clear lining, no sealant needed; TS (tubeless ready) = unlined, sealant needed. If you've got high pressures, the air will force some of the lighter fluid components through the tire. The sealant will seal it. Just wipe it off.
I used to have a set of GravelKing SK's that had a distinct orange tone to them from Orange Seal.

Shiny TL lining that keeps goo in -https://bikerumor.com/wp-content/upload ... -liner.jpg
There is no official distinction between TR, TLR, TL, TC, TLC or whatever else manufacturers want to use to confuse the consumer. While Hutchinson used both TLR and TL to make a distinction between the construction of their own tires, another brand's TL might have similar construction to Hutchinson's TLR tires. They aren't necessarily airtight. Conti GP5K TL tires were not particularly airtight without sealant, while Goodyear Eagle F1 TLC tires were. You also have to trust your rim to be made particularly well, and yeah...

Always use sealant.

BTW the interior of the larger GP5K S TRs looks just like the GP5K TL.

ksavostin

by ksavostin

Received today, 01/22 batch. Ordered from bike24.
Attachments
7D881592-48C4-4FA2-8849-3C4CB31A733A.jpeg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've had some of the latest 25mm models coming in under 240g now.

Have about 20 pairs of 25 and 28mm in stock if any UK members are struggling to find them.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

justRideIt wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:42 pm
I ordered two 30mm GP 5000 S TR from bike24, priced at 69,99€ each.

One weighed 300g, the other 304g.
Yes, I have removed the paper instructions inside the folded tires, but not the plastic band (you can subtract 0.7g for that :lol: ).

Mounted them on Roval CLX 50 wheels going onto Tarmac SL6.
Not the easiest tires to put on (had to use tire levers cautiously, although I used the inner channel). Once both beads were seated on the inner channel, the tires inflated easily, even with valve core installed. I used a compressor, but I guess it would've inflated with a standard track pump.
They now hold air well (even without sealant).

Width measures 30.4mm front and rear, inflated at 75 PSI. Guess they'll stretch a little over the next few days.

The former non-tubeless GP 5000 in 28mm measured 29.6mm on those Roval CLX 50.
So the new "S TR" are more true to labeled size.

Last season, I had two flats with "old" GP 5000 + Latex tubes, both happened on relatively smooth gravel sections and both from sidewall impacts.
Hopefully, the wider 30mm in tubeless will be more reliable for some smooth offroad sections :D

What happens when you deflate the GP5000S TR, do the beads unseat from the CLX50? I used to have a pair of CL50 (they have the exact same rim profile as the CLX50) and with the Continental GP5000 TL, the predecessor to the GP5000S TR, most of the tire bead would unseat from the wheel when the tire is mostly deflated. I have owned several tubeless tires/wheels combo and so far, that CL50/GP5000 TL combo was the only one that does that. I am personally not a fan of tire unseating from the wheel when it's deflated.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just add more rim tape.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Leuen

by Leuen

windscreen wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:22 pm
I bought another 3 S-TR in size 28c. These have build date stickers of 0222, so presumably Feb of this year. Weights were 267, 270 and 273 g, so about the same as the pair I bought with 0921 build codes. I don't have the wheels built yet to mount these on, so I can't comment as to whether this batch holds air any better (my first two lose about 5 psi per day). The inside texture on the new tires looks the same as the older batch.

PXL_20220328_175823713.jpg
I received mine from Lordgun. They are from the same batch (0222). Weight is 270g in 28c. :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

5500km on my rear (25mm) and still going. What kind of life is everyone getting out of their GP5K S TR?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com