NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
kervelo

by kervelo

Just for test purposes I installed my new TR's first without any sealant and inflated to 4 bars. After some hours the tyres had lost all pressure. Then I added the sealant and inflated again to 4 bars: the tyres have kept the pressure for days, without any significant loss. Unfortunately I have not been able to ride them yet due to winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Muhviehstar wrote:I previously used the 5000 TL and just installed the new 5000 S TR (28-622). Does anybody else have problems with leaky side walls? I'm using about 60ml of Orange Seal Endurance and rode 30km with them, but the pressure lowered from 5 bar (72 psi) to 1 bar (14 psi).

Are you seeing this on just one or both tires? It looks like a tire defect to me. Thus far I’ve installed three S TRs without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

Watery sealant? Did you shake it up really well?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

StevieB

by StevieB

uppis wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:54 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:32 am
AFAIK the size change is only on the 25mm version. The rest of the sizes are the same as the old TL. BRR has said they will be doing a new test comparing all of the various sizes of the S TR. So keep an eye out for the upcoming tests. FWIW I have the 32mm S TR and they are the same exact size as the 32mm TL. Keep in mind that new tires will stretch so initially they will be slightly narrower than a well worn tire.
ryanw wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 am
24mm ID
28c S TR
30.2mm actual
Thanks for both, will watch for BRR. Looking at ryanws measurements it seem like all others than 25mm being the same size is correct, 28mm is probably still the right choice for WR50.
FWIW, my 28MM GP5K TL's measure right at 31mm on my hooked bead WR50's (25mm ID). With the rims at 32.5mm they make for a perfect 105% fit with 28mm Conti's, which is what I was looking for when I chose the rims.

SB

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Muhviehstar wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 am
I previously used the 5000 TL and just installed the new 5000 S TR (28-622). Does anybody else have problems with leaky side walls? I'm using about 60ml of Orange Seal Endurance and rode 30km with them, but the pressure lowered from 5 bar (72 psi) to 1 bar (14 psi).

As the TR is tubless ready, not full tubeless, the sidewalls aren't going to be as air tight as it's predecessor. Need to make sure you give it a good shake to get the sealant all around the inside of the tire and seal it up good. My preferred method is to use a little lower pressure, say 50 or so PSI, hold the wheel at 9 and 3, and shake. Turn the wheel about 1/8 of a turn, and shake. Keep doing that until you get all the way around the wheel. Usually that will work on most wheels, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a pair of TRs yet.

I will say that from my experience, Orange Seal doesn't do as well above 70psi as Stans and might take a little longer to seal, but that's just anicdotal results from my past experiences over the last 13 years running road tubeless.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Muhviehstar

by Muhviehstar

Thank you all for the replies, I will try that again!

yingyu

by yingyu

Sometimes I need to retighten the tubeless value after pumping up to prevent leaks.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So I bought a second batch of eight 622x32 black-wall tires and the weights are noticeably lower than the first batch of five I bought when the tires first came out. Did anyone notice that the later batches of tires are lighter than the earlier ones? Or could this just be a batch to batch manufacturing variability?

622x32 black-wall spec. weight = 320g.
Batch 2: Avg. weight = 305.5g. (306g, 308g, 304g, 302g, 310g, 304g, 305g, 305g)
Batch 1: Avg. weight = 318.0g. (315g, 318g, 318g, 319g, 320g)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My girlfriend just got the 25mm GP5000 ST R's for her hookless wheels. What psi do you guys recommend for her 130-lbs body weight?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

manystyles

by manystyles

Noctiluxx wrote:My girlfriend just got the 25mm GP5000 ST R's for her hookless wheels. What psi do you guys recommend for her 130-lbs body weight?
I’d use this calculator as a baseline: https://psicalculator.com

If you try what it’s recommending and modify to personal preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 am
So I bought a second batch of eight 622x32 black-wall tires and the weights are noticeably lower than the first batch of five I bought when the tires first came out. Did anyone notice that the later batches of tires are lighter than the earlier ones? Or could this just be a batch to batch manufacturing variability?

622x32 black-wall spec. weight = 320g.
Batch 2: Avg. weight = 305.5g. (306g, 308g, 304g, 302g, 310g, 304g, 305g, 305g)
Batch 1: Avg. weight = 318.0g. (315g, 318g, 318g, 319g, 320g)
That's really interesting. The minimal variation within each group (especially the first!) implies a process improvement, at least to me. IIRC, the TR casing is novel at Conti, so it makes sense that they might tweak the process about now.

They may have been conservative at first to make sure the casing held air with fewer plies. Or, conversely, they may have been disappointed with early public rolling resistance tests and tweaked the fiber-to-matrix ratio to squeeze out a little rubber (the matrix). But Continental is a German company, so my money would be on their being a little conservative in their production process for the first run.

I happened to be shopping for this exact tire online today. They're currently going for about $95 each here in the US. You've bought sixteen of them; that would cost me over $1500.

Did you buy 16 blackwall GP5000 TRs in 700x32 for personal use? Are you a buyer for a shop? I don't mean to pry--mostly I'm just jealous of your stash.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yep, a v2 STR has been produced after initial v1 batch were tripe.

Stock should be coming in later this month. Any STR's that are currently available will be the v1 model (32c excluded, these are readily available in v2 guise).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IIRC pdlpsher also observed that tires from his first purchase had a ribbed inner surface whereas all of our tires have a “webbed” inner surface. The additional ridges are likely what contributes to the extra weight. It seems they changed the tooling pretty early on so I don’t expect the 25mm tires to suddenly start weighing 240g instead of 250g.

The jury is still out on these tires.

I was a bit too harsh calling them out on ride quality after one ride. It seems they benefit a lot from an initial break-in of one or two rides. The rear tire still seems more likely to skid when coming to a hard stop compared to Vittoria Corsas and Pro Ones, though BRR’s grip tests don’t bear that out.

Air retention is decent, better than Pro Ones. Installation/seating was easy enough with a floor pump. We’ll see how the sidewalls hold up as my season gets under way.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:06 pm
Yep, a v2 STR has been produced after initial v1 batch were tripe.

Stock should be coming in later this month. Any STR's that are currently available will be the v1 model (32c excluded, these are readily available in v2 guise).
Have you or your customers had any bad experiences with these tyres? I have been holding out to get a set as there seems to be very little stock but to be honest, I am tempted to plump for Vittoria Corsa TLR in a 25 or 28 instead.

Woland

by Woland

ryanw wrote:Yep, a v2 STR has been produced after initial v1 batch were tripe.

Do you have any insight into the reason behind the revision and what is it fixing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com