NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hell I'd settle for 28mm corsa speeds..that's why I'm using Schwalbes
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Dumb question here but what makes the Corsa Speeds better than the GP5000's? I've never run Vittoria's but the Continentals seem faster.

Correction: I was thinking of the Corsa G+2.0 TLR. The Speeds aren't faster but don't look durable or long lasting.
Last edited by Mocs123 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:10 pm
They are faster lol
You're right, I was thinking of the Corsa +TLR. The Corsa Speeds don't seem very durable or long lasting. Obviously your luck seems differnt.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39 pm
robbosmans wrote:
They are faster lol
You're right, I was thinking of the Corsa +TLR. The Corsa Speeds don't seem very durable or long lasting. Obviously your luck seems differnt.
Corsa Speeds are in no way a daily tyre. It's a time trial race day special. I mean there are people running these for summer club rides, but it's all a bit ridiculous, honestly. If you get 1000km out of them, consider it great. To me this is just a horribly wasteful product to use on training rides.

The fact that we are actually speaking about Conti 5000 in the same thread as Corsa Speed is a a testiment to how good Conti is when it comes to speed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:59 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39 pm
robbosmans wrote:
They are faster lol
Corsa Speeds are in no way a daily tyre. It's a time trial race day special. I mean there are people running these for summer club rides, but it's all a bit ridiculous, honestly. If you get 1000km out of them, consider it great. To me this is just a horribly wasteful product to use on training rides.

The fact that we are actually speaking about Conti 5000 in the same thread as Corsa Speed is a a testiment to how good Conti is when it comes to speed.

I ran Corsa Speeds last spring and they were surprisingly puncture resistant. The tread lasted about 1300mi, which is half of what I’d expect out of a regular Corsa.

ckspark

by ckspark

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:47 pm
I'm mainly interested in the ride quality now that I know these tires aren't faster. But I have the impression that new tires always ride better than fully worn out tires. Worn out tires feel harsh since there's lack of rubber to damp road vibrations. Does anyone have the same observation? So even before I have ridden these I'm already anticipating the improved ride quality. It's also possible that these lighter and thinner tires will ride like a worn out TL 🤣

Now if the Corsa Speeds come in a 32mm I'll probably buy it in a heartbeat.
I remember Ronald Kuba once saying that he found the GP5000TL to be faster than the Pro One addix until the black chilli layer wore off, then it was slower. So it could be that your noticing.
I alway found the GP5000TL to be excellent in all weathers and temperatures. I buy a new pair in the spring when they are fresh and fastest. Then run them right through the UK winter when they are worn.
I think the stronger sidewalls is a good move as that's where most of my contis have been written off.
But just ordered some 25c S TRs, just had to try them.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

First ride impression on my 32s at 55psi. Ride quality wise they feel a bit more sprightly (better at absorbing harsh impacts). It's the same feeling as going from butyl to latex tubes. They feel a bit more responsive to accelerate due to the 120g+ rotational weight loss. They feel a bit nicer when cornering hard (confidence inspiring and better feedback). They do seem to roll very well especially on fast descents. I hit a top speed of 86km/h or 53.4mph into a headwind on a 11% descent. Just riding along at normal speeds I cannot tell any differences in rolling efficiency. The good news is that they *seem* better in every metric. The bad news is that all of this is very subtle and could just be the new tire placebo effect 🤣 Anyways the big 'wins' for me are the significant weight loss on the 32s and easier mounting. Everything else (if any) is just icing on the cake.

Regarding the Corsa Speeds, puncture resistance is vastly dependent upon the tire pressure. My friend who got a new pair of the Corsa Speeds to try out had his first ride end in a disaster. The tire was badly cut just after a few miles. He put 105psi in that thing and tried to PR a Strava segment.

What makes the Corsa Speeds and Veloflex Record so fast? Lack of materials? If that's the case then why isn't the 5000 TR much faster than the TL? Is there something else to tire science that's beyond the conventional wisdom?

ichobi

by ichobi

Vittoria is rolling out the new corsa soon. Just fyi

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ichobi wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:54 am
Vittoria is rolling out the new corsa soon. Just fyi
That's exciting news. It will be even more exciting if they are actually available to purchase. In fact it would be exciting if there were any Corsa's (TLR) old or new to purchase.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

35c Corsa Speed FTW!

I had wondered whether Conti were going to issue a successor to the GPTT.
Perhaps there are custom versions of the TR for pros with less tread. OTOH, the thick tread was supposed to contribute to the aerodynamic benefit of having a GP4000 on the front.

stjepan

by stjepan

Aryeh wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:11 pm
My pair of 28mm transparent GP5000s shipped from R2-bike today.
I thought they weren't coming until next year.
I also managed to snag a pair of those from bike-discount.de yesterday. Now they are gone again.

Looking forward to trying them out.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:53 pm
What makes the Corsa Speeds and Veloflex Record so fast? Lack of materials? If that's the case then why isn't the 5000 TR much faster than the TL? Is there something else to tire science that's beyond the conventional wisdom?
Not 100% sure what "conventional wisdom" is, but a tires rolling resistance is determined by energy that it "consumes" in the process of being deformed when rolling and getting back into shape. Generally, lighter, less puncture resistant tires perform better in this, as these are less stiff -> less energy needed for deformation and more efficient "spring" back into shape. However, there is more to it, than just the amount of material. The type of material and its "stiffness" (yeah, I am not a scientist, can you tell?) play a major role here.
Best example for this is tube choice. A Silca Latex Tube is around 85g for a 25/28c tire. In comparison a Conti Race 28 light Butyl tube is 75g in the same size. A Tubolito S Tubo is a lot lighter again. So despite the other tubes having significantly "less material" than the Latex tube, it is still far and out the fastest choice (over 3 and over 5 watts faster at 45kph respectively).
The same goes for tires.
While there is a coralation between "light/thin tires" and "fast rolling", there is more to that.

However, with Continental having used the same tire compound (Black Chilli) and significantly shaven the tire thread down, I have no idea where the f'ed up to make the TR this comparatively "slow".
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I think it is the sidewalls that also have quite a lot of influence on the RR.
Its one of the reasons why Vittoria tyres with very fine high TPI carcass have very low RR.

Conti uses low TPI carcass, with "two ply" design. Making sidewalls thicker, and harder to deform... causing higher loss.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Can't quite agree that this is always true.
The Vittoria Corsa Speed (320TPI) is mega fast. The Vittoria Corsa G2.0 (320 TPI) is not. Slower than Conti GP5000, Turbo Cotton, Schwalbe Pro One...
And according to Aero-Coach, the Corsa 2.0 TLR actually performs pretty terribly.

Regarding reinforced sidewalls being slow:
Continental actually has a pretty good track record on side-wall reinforced tires still being super fast.
The Continental RaceKing Protection are the the successors to the old RaceKing, but with stronger sidewalls, and they are among the fastest MTB tires there are.
The Continental TerraSpeed Protection have fortified sidewalls and they are probably the fastest knobby tires there are.
So, don't know if the Conti GP5000TR not performing so well is a consequence of either TPI or fortified sidewalls.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com