NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I wouldn't bother with TLs. They are a pain in the ass to mount on almost every rim I've tried.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

TLs are great.
If I could still get 'em I would.

refthimos

by refthimos

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:11 am
I wouldn't bother with TLs. They are a pain in the ass to mount on almost every rim I've tried.
Just mounted by second set of 28c TLs tubeless on Rapide CLX (v1 "non tubeless") wheels with the original pre-installed "tubeless but nor really tubeless" tape and in each instance the tires went on super easy and set up on the first try (with compressor). I have S TRs waiting to go on but the TLs just last forever so will be a while I think.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Recently mounted TLs and S-TRs.

The new S-TR tires are so much easier to mount. They are almost as easy as GP5000 clinchers. No lever required in my case.

qickslvr2

by qickslvr2

Keen to get peoples thoughts on this: I had to use a ‘bacon strip’ out on a ride today after riding over a chunky bit of glass, the sealant wasn’t quite doing the trick. It worked well and I got through another 2 hours of riding happily.

Do I:

A) leave it as-is and just top up the sealant?

B) clean the tire and apply a tubeless tire repair ‘patch’?

C) bin it and buy a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

In my experience bacon strips work their way out eventually so if it's not too bad, I'd opt for "B"
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Besides being easier to mount, the S TR also has no more 'strings' detaching from the bead. Those strings are annoying on the TLs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

qickslvr2 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:39 pm
Keen to get peoples thoughts on this: I had to use a ‘bacon strip’ out on a ride today after riding over a chunky bit of glass, the sealant wasn’t quite doing the trick. It worked well and I got through another 2 hours of riding happily.

Do I:

A) leave it as-is and just top up the sealant?

B) clean the tire and apply a tubeless tire repair ‘patch’?

C) bin it and buy a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacon strips can eject at high pressures, though maybe if you ride at lower pressures for a while and allow the sealant to "cure" around the plug, it might become more permanent.

I have a DynaPlug in the side of my GP5K S TR right above the bead. I have ridden this tire at 105psi to test the security of the repair. It has held up for a few weeks without issue. The tip seems to do a good job of helping keep the plug from wiggling out.

Sace

by Sace

openwheelracing wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:28 pm

The new S-TR tires are so much easier to mount. They are almost as easy as GP5000 clinchers. No lever required in my case.
I just tried on my Roval Rapide CL and it was a pain compared to the "old" GP5000 clinchers so it depends quite a lot on the wheels. I didn't try the front one but suspect that would be even worse. Happy that I never tried the TL version if it's worse :)

Stueys

by Stueys

Sace wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:31 pm
openwheelracing wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:28 pm

I just tried on my Roval Rapide CL and it was a pain compared to the "old" GP5000 clinchers so it depends quite a lot on the wheels. I didn't try the front one but suspect that would be even worse. Happy that I never tried the TL version if it's worse :)
TL version was a full on battle. I fitted the S to a Rapide today just with thumbs, that's a first for me with a tubeless tyre

parajba

by parajba

What size would you put on Rovals CLX50 (2019 version, ID is 21 I think). I am 66kg, bike is a Venge. For racing.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA716I- ... yclingTips

1min 48s. is that a GP5000 Tub ? :unbelievable: appear again in 2min03s
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

kode54

by kode54

After months and months...5000S TR still difficult to buy...and if you find them, full price at the very least! What's up with that?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

C36

by C36

Go for the Michelin cup… at least as fast, more grip, more puncture resistance and 10% more thread thickness. Starts being available in multiple places.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

kode54 wrote:After months and months...5000S TR still difficult to buy...and if you find them, full price at the very least! What's up with that?
Not interested at that price and Contis are my favourite tyre.
Not paying $140 for a consumable like a bicycle tyre.