NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It must depend on the tire case/tread thickness and pressures used because even a thicker bacon strip worked its way out of a center puncture on my Pro One TT tire. I had left puncture facing down at about 85psi in my garage while I worked on another bike. All of a sudden I hear a loud PSSSHSHHRRRR 40 minutes later and the plug had shot out along with all of the Orange Seal.

And yep, I gave the tool a twist before pulling it out.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:It must depend on the tire case/tread thickness and pressures used because even a thicker bacon strip worked its way out of a center puncture on my Pro One TT tire. I had left puncture facing down at about 85psi in my garage while I worked on another bike. All of a sudden I hear a loud PSSSHSHHRRRR 40 minutes later and the plug had shot out along with all of the Orange Seal.

Maybe. Guess I'll keep the Dynaplug kit with the road bike and the GI kits with my gravel and mountain bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fljones3

by fljones3

ryanw wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:28 am
First ride this morning (had man flu).

Hated GP5000TL, always loved corespun casing tyres due to superior feel and grip.

Think these shall be my go to tyre. 700x28 come out at 29.2mm on 21ID Rovals. 275g on the nose.

Ran 72R/62.5F. Very comfy, not like riding on hose pipes. Felt spritely and rolled beautifully.

They shall be staying on my SL7 until the tan model arrives ;)
You might have answered this but how hard to mount? I am looking at putting them on my CL50's.
I am running Turbo Cotton's presently but have always, in the past, run C5000's when I ran clinchers.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Not super easy on Rapides, but both beads went on with a tyre lever without too much trouble.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Aerocoach posted on IG that results are due this week.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Buexx

by Buexx

Saw that from aerocoach, they also test the black sidewall version. Do you think there is any difference to the brown / unpainted version?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Buexx wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 am
Saw that from aerocoach, they also test the black sidewall version. Do you think there is any difference to the brown / unpainted version?
It's just paint on the sidewall.

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:16 am
It must depend on the tire case/tread thickness and pressures used because even a thicker bacon strip worked its way out of a center puncture on my Pro One TT tire. I had left puncture facing down at about 85psi in my garage while I worked on another bike. All of a sudden I hear a loud PSSSHSHHRRRR 40 minutes later and the plug had shot out along with all of the Orange Seal.

I had a problematic pro one that had a glass cut that I couldn't keep the worms in. So I fashioned a strip of inner tube got that in there halfway or so, put a dab of super glue on the tire which incorporated into the two piece going in stuck that in, but that set up a bit put the glue section into the interface of the cut. Then I pulled it out.. I turn the tool that an angle and put my thumb on that area holding it down.

that tire is running fine to this day and holds here as good as any I've had tubeless.

Edit to say.. that cut was not running on the center of the tire. Does not meet where the tire contacts the road.
Last edited by USAisDOA on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

bobones

by bobones

Last edited by bobones on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Quite underwhelming.
I'll stick to Turbo Cotton for Road racing.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

req110

by req110

I don't think it's underwhelming.

On 25mm the new ones are 1W faster.
You have to also keep in mind, that new ones are like 40g lighter and have higher TPI with potential of better grip and feel.

What i am surprised is that GP5000 clincher are same fast as GP5k S TR... I am wondering what kind of inner tube they are using.

The result of Turbo Cotton is fine, but me and my friends don't have a good experience with turbo cotton and poor reliability.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Aryeh

by Aryeh

But why were all the pros using it if its the same as GP5k?
Weight and suppleness?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

req110 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:49 pm
I don't think it's underwhelming.

On 25mm the new ones are 1W faster.
You have to also keep in mind, that new ones are like 40g lighter and have higher TPI with potential of better grip and feel.

What i am surprised is that GP5000 clincher are same fast as GP5k S TR... I am wondering what kind of inner tube they are using.

The result of Turbo Cotton is fine, but me and my friends don't have a good experience with turbo cotton and poor reliability.
Aerocoach tests clinchers with latex. So the result that the new TR tyre is the same is not surprising - it's how it should be. Franky as between BRR and Aerocoach, the discrepancies can all be explained by testing measurement errors + tyre batch variance, so I would not die on a hill defending the propositon that Turbo Cotton really is faster than Conti (or vice versa) or that there really has been that 1w improvement between the TL and the TLR version.

Broadly the picture remains thus: Conti 5000 in its clincher and tubeless guises was and remains the fastest tyre availabe that you can sensibly ride every day. The tubeless has been improved in installation ease and weight so it will become the right choice for more people. Performance is largely the same as it was.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Aryeh wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:56 pm
But why were all the pros using it if its the same as GP5k?
Weight and suppleness?
Marketing push - they did an incredible job of generating buzz to the point where we were all expecting miracles.

Nonetheless they've taken the market-leading tyre, made the tubeless version as fast as the clincher w/latex, broadened the compatibility to all modern wheels, chopped 50g off the weight, got rid of an outlier size and added the more useful 30mm, got rid of a load of SKUs with the clincher version, added the tan wall in all sizes and allegedly improved the road feel. It's the fastest non-TT tyre, although Turbo Cotton fans could argue the point.

I'm not sure what else they have to do?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

If aerocoach tests the S TR with a latex tube:
does anyone have an idea what the rolling resistance would be in a tubeless Setup with say 30ml sealant?
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com