NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 pm
tjvirden wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:30 pm
Quantifying the differences is hard and really needs a suitable machine (ala the Avocet one decades back). Small differences between grip are very hard to be sure of from a riding perspective - too many uncontrollable variables.

I'm convinced that Continental's advantage really is still in their compound (ok the BlackChili marketing is cringeworthy) - they do hint that it's adjusted depending on the application, so perhaps that's what they did with the 5000.
Oh, I agree with all of this. It's almost impossible to judge road tire grip from "feel"— you don't know you've lost grip in the front tire until you're on the deck. The rear is less disastrous but just as sudden. This is notoriously hard to quantify—I believe Tour magazine developed and then retired a rig to test lateral grip because the results just weren't repeatable.

In contrast, bicyclerollingresistance.com has done some solid work showing how Conti may very well change their Black Chilli compound quite dramatically between tire models. (I'm thinking of the Race King vs Cross King, specifically). The guy behind the site says he's working on lateral grip testing, but hasn't made anything public yet.

I wish Continental be more transparent about tread compounds. On the other hand, Schwalbe provides a ton of granularity on their casings and compounds, but somehow the details are no less opaque.
Conti have said that they change the composition of the Black Chilli compound for different tyres, based on the tyre use. Really confusing from a consumer perspective because it saying a tyre has Black Chilli doesn't mean much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Seen some numbers and wow...

kervelo

by kervelo

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:14 am
Rolling resistance? There's going to be a new sheriff in town?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

kervelo wrote:The new tyre used in Roubaix too:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/spotted ... t-roubaix/
If they're robust enough for Roubaix then it's a good sign that they'd also be tough enough for everyday riding.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

petromyzon

by petromyzon

TobinHatesYou wrote:
You tease!
Judging by the thick butyl liner and casing feel of the current 5000TL there's quite a bit more performance to find.
I had assumed that they would eventually come out with different versions (TT vs. road race) but if it's really that fast perhaps they will just have one tyre in a range of sizes.
Of course the professional's TT tyres could be a custom run....

tjvirden

by tjvirden

kervelo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:32 am
The new tyre used in Roubaix too:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/spotted ... t-roubaix/
I like the sizing.......my current favourite setup for sh*!ty pavement is a 30mm GP5000 on the front, with a - box fresh last week! - 28mm GP4000S II on the rear. On a 21mm rim (internal) and around mid-50s to low 60s [psi], that works out at actual sizes of 30.5/31.5mm front/rear. So; I'm ready to ride Roubaix......very slowly.

It will be fascinating to see how this 5000S fares at the weekend (I do hope they've tested it well on the cobbles!!).........

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

petromyzon wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:17 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
You tease!
Judging by the thick butyl liner and casing feel of the current 5000TL there's quite a bit more performance to find.
I had assumed that they would eventually come out with different versions (TT vs. road race) but if it's really that fast perhaps they will just have one tyre in a range of sizes.
Of course the professional's TT tyres could be a custom run....
Conti's MTB and Gravel tyres are some of the lightest and fastest rolling out there so they know how to make a light tubeless tyre. It seems like they were being very cautious with their first road tubeless tyre with the butyl liner and huge bead.

I'll also add that the MTB tyres are super easy to fit unlike the GP5000 TL's.

spartan

by spartan

why you always tease but no scoops. the very LEAST when is the embargo/release date ?
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I wonder if they will have a clincher 5000-S? I just replaced the GP5000's on both my bikes this summer with new sets so it may be a year before I am ready for new tires. Maybe I'll be ready to try tubeless by then, especially on my rim brake bike where I don't run latex tubes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I think if it is "tubeless ready" they'll take the option to consolidate the product line - one tyre, which you can run tubed if you wish like the situation with Corsa Speed.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Can anyone confirm the sizes for the new S TR? I've read earlier that it's 25, 28, and 30. Now Cyclingtips says there's a 32. Is the 30 mentioned earlier really just a 32?

I'm currently on GP5K TL and having trouble wearing them out despite riding a ton of miles. It seems the TL is thicker than the non-TL version. Has anyone noticed this too?

warthog101

by warthog101

pdlpsher1 wrote:
I'm currently on GP5K TL and having trouble wearing them out despite riding a ton of miles. It seems the TL is thicker than the non-TL version. Has anyone noticed this too?
Yeah they are thicker.
Butyl liner apparently.
Still roll well ime.

I have a 28c on the rear of my TCR.
The wear indicators are still showing at ~4k km but are definitely alot closer to being gone than the front 25c at similar distance.
I weigh about 76kg.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. I have four tires on two bikes. On both rear tires they have worn down to zero on the wear indicators. But still no signs of the casing. On the non-TL once I'm down to zero I can see the thin spots appearing from the casing. That isn't the case with the TL. The TL does have an extra butyl layer but it's below the casing. I'm running the 32mm version and there's a 100g. weight difference between the TL and non-TL. That's quite substantial and I wonder if the TL also lasts longer than the non-TL.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hope they eventually come with a tan/brown sidewall.. I'll try a pair.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com