New Vision Metron 45SL first look!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Since the Tour de France, there have been players sneaking into the field. In the Tour de France, Wout van Aert, the all-round god of war in Belgium, directly took it twice to win the single station at the same time. The new generation of Metron SL wheels has passed the test of the competition level. All the technology on it is not just a gorgeous propaganda slogan, but a real effort.

Because New Metron SL is both mysterious and eye-catching in the three major races, it makes me hard not to be uninterested in it. After all, it allows top drivers to sneak in and use the labeling method to use it. It seems that this thing must be a small bad thing. The bad must be studied carefully. The entanglement with the VISION finally made me borrow the Metron 45 SL to measure it and let everyone smell it, and see if this new wheel is scented or not? Where is the fragrance again?

The appearance of the revised Metron 45 SL is very similar to the appearance of the wheels stealthily used during the competition. All the stickers are black, and only the SL next to the 45 is so white. With such an overly low-key appearance, it is really difficult for people to write about the shapes for it; but the new generation of PRS hubs is obviously different from the previous generations, and the appearance has become more chain-washed, which is actually the same as the entire wheel set. The design atmosphere is quite in harmony, and they are all representatives of the kind of secret practice and undesired practice.

The weight data of the tubeless version of Metron 45 SL disc brake is 1373 grams. Although it is not extremely lightweight, it is still above the standard. This can be felt in static starting and climbing. It is indeed better than the previous generation of 40. SL is much lighter; but if it is a disc brake tube tyre version, it weighs only 1,299 grams, which is quite pleasing.

The successful weight reduction Metron 45 SL represents a wider range of attacks. The long climbs that used to be limited by weight now have lightweight assists. From hilly areas to long slopes can be regarded as within the combat radius.

In addition to weight, it is worth noting that Vision is betting on the PRS hubs of the new-generation Metron 45 and 60 SL series this time. PRS is the abbreviation of Power Ratchet System. The focus is on the word Ratchet, which means that PRS has also abandoned the traditional pawl design and has kept up with the ratchet design with more optimal joints. It is also the mainstream of the development of many international brands.

Therefore, the PRS hub equipped with the Metron 45 SL benefits from the 72-tooth ratio, and the starting response is much faster and more direct than the traditional pawl hub. In addition to changing the pawl to the ratchet to bring a better contact area, Vision I also moved my hands and feet here, changing the normal flat ratchets to angled vertebral ratchets. In this way, the lateral driving force of the hub can be increased again, and this design is most impressive when getting up and pulling the car.

In addition to PRS hubs, Metron 45 and 60 SL are also fully replaced with wider wheels for better aerodynamic effects. This time, the inner width of the Metron SL tubeless version comes directly to 21mm, and the widest part of the outer frame is more than 31mm. The appearance of the standard fat frame is just in line with the current trend of wide tires above 25mm, and it can effectively eliminate the side. Wind spoiler. Therefore, it is not for no reason that brands have made fat frames in recent years. In addition to making the frame bigger, Vision can also help it reduce weight, and at the same time reinforce the joints of the spokes. This is the mystery of the evolution of the new generation Metron SL. Place.

With the combination of lightweight, PRS hub and fat frame, Metron SL has obtained a fairly comprehensive evolution. The conclusion is the victory of Bahrain, the outstanding results of EF Education this season, and the private naming of many drivers. After personally riding the Metron 45 SL, do you think you want to kill a bunch of people in the hills? Then this mid-frame wheel with fast start, light weight and optimized aerodynamics is definitely suitable!

Introduction of Metron 45 and 60 SL:
https://youtu.be/RnPuDnEA7Ec

PRS Hub Introduction:
https://youtu.be/OKPJGL3xD80
Just got yesterday the incredible new vision metron
1. The outside wide is 33 for clincher and inside is 21mm
2. The new PRS hub is a combination with DT and CK with 72T (The hubs feature the new Vision PRS technology, with a 72-tooth engagement system. This provides greater smoothness and a better grip gear angle. They are designed for the Centerlock system, while an adapter for 6-Bolt configuration will be available. They are available for SH11 (and 12) and XDR.
3. Weight Clincher 1380 grams

here we go

First ride with 21% climb, it is very good with 72T comparing with 36T,very stiff more than 36T or 52T. I could say these wheels is for a Pro-rider, needs 200Watts to ride to handle this beatiful wiheels.
the tire 25c wider meausures 28.5mm and the rim is 33mm. Super very arerodinamic

PS: The max PSI: 103, today I test with 95 PSI.
Last edited by Taiyoto on Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm surprised that 21h front wheels are a common thing now.

They aren't dished significantly to either side and thus they shouldn't really be triplet. A 21h front wheel has only 7 spokes on one side, just like a 14h wheel.

Would you descend confidently on a 14h wheel if you're a heavy rider?

jlok

by jlok

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 am
I'm surprised that 21h front wheels are a common thing now.

They aren't dished significantly to either side and thus they shouldn't really be triplet. A 21h front wheel has only 7 spokes on one side, just like a 14h wheel.

Would you descend confidently on a 14h wheel if you're a heavy rider?
Not sure how heavy is heavy but I'm 75kg and descend confidently with Speed 55 DB and Corsa Control G2.0 TLR 28c. I don't know why but this combination is very good for cornering and descending.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nickldn

by Nickldn

These new Metrons are very very wide, especially the 60mm.

I still don't understand the point of a deep road bike wheel that is more than 28-29mm wide. My Easton 55mm deep wheels are 27mm wide and so perfect for 25mm tyres.

I wouldn't run anything wider than 25mm on a fast road bike, due to weight, responsiveness and road feel. Especially on the front wheel.

If I was running 28mm tyres then I'd consider it a less fast road bike, more in the endurance and comfort category. I would match that with all rounder type wheels up to 45mm deep.

I know Specialized started the wide front wheel trend (with 25mm tyres) with the Rapides for the SL7, but unless you are running 28mm, or wider tyres what's the point?

Genuine question by the way, not supposed to insult/bait anyone. Look forward to reasonable answers please.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

wider is good for aerodynamic, when I finish the first climb change to normal road, the speed can be more faster, me stable. But the hub is more incredible to get more climb force, but need to have 200Watts up to domain these wheels.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

That's the thing you see, I don't think that wider wheels are more aero, I think they are less aero.

We have been told wider tyres have a lower RR, so then you need wider wheels for the 105% aero rule. But when you get to 33mm wide wheels that means you can run 31mm tyres and still not break the 105% rule. Who is going to run 31mm tyres with 60mm deep wheels? That's a niche market. Gravel aero?

So why manufacturers are making these wide and deep wheels is what I'm trying to understand. What's the benefit for someone who uses 25mm tyres?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

hannawald

by hannawald

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 am
That's the thing you see, I don't think that wider wheels are more aero, I think they are less aero.

We have been told wider tyres have a lower RR, so then you need wider wheels for the 105% aero rule. But when you get to 33mm wide wheels that means you can run 31mm tyres and still not break the 105% rule. Who is going to run 31mm tyres with 60mm deep wheels? That's a niche market. Gravel aero?

So why manufacturers are making these wide and deep wheels is what I'm trying to understand. What's the benefit for someone who uses 25mm tyres?
25C tyres are usually 28mm wide and sometimes even wider if you run clinchers. That's why 31mm outer diameter is about right I think.

jlok

by jlok

hannawald wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:24 am
Nickldn wrote:

25C tyres are usually 28mm wide and sometimes even wider if you run clinchers. That's why 31mm outer diameter is about right I think.
If that's the case, he may be using 23c tire so that would be 25mm wide (or whatever tire to make it up to 25mm). How about that?

Not everyone is riding on shifty roads so the comfort of 28mm may not be top priority.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nickldn

by Nickldn

jlok wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 am
hannawald wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:24 am
Nickldn wrote:

If that's the case, he may be using 23c tire so that would be 25mm wide (or whatever tire to make it up to 25mm). How about that?

Not everyone is riding on shifty roads so the comfort of 28mm may not be top priority.
Even most 25mm clinchers don't come up much more than 26mm - 26.5mm on 19mm internal width rims. Sure they come up wider on 21mm and wider internal width rims, but then the same argument applies:

Why make such wide internal widths for deep section rims that are designed to use 25mm tyres?

Also in the case of these Metrons the external width is 33mm for the 60mm deep rims, that's very wide even for clinchers measuring 28mm true width, we're talking 1.17 aero rule, not 1.05!

hannawald

by hannawald

Yes, 23mm tyres will be slightly more aero, but manufacturers are aiming for aero and comfort. Some aero bikes like Scott Foil already comes stock with 28C tyres. That's simply the trend now. to make a wheelset futureproof for wider tyres rims are 21mm for 25C and 28C tyres and for max aero rims are more than 30mm external. Nobody rides 23C tyres anymore and 19mm internal rim width is also a thing of the past, maybe some italian manufacturers still make it but even old school Mavic went to 21mm..
So if you want aero for 25C and 28C tyres, you need such a wide rim. But you are right that 23C tyre and 25mm rim will be more aero. Obviously Vision thinks that it is not what its customers want..

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Will be interesting to see a (near) future of 28C and 30C aero race bikes. Great for long rides if comfort is a concern.

I wonder if it's what customers will want to buy for racing, TT, fast road, etc.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I may be mistaken, but I thought the advantage of the wider rim was that it was more stable at varying yaw angles, and thus spends more time at small yaw angles that have lower resistance. Similarly, I recall that rolling resistance for tires of different width when inflated to recommended pressure is the same, but the heavier tires also make the wheel less likely to turn. Combined, these give a greater aero advantage than the loss contributed by the greater area of wider tires and rim. Happy to be corrected if someone has more recent data, or a better memory than mine....
Factor Ostro

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Second test and the hub with 72T it is very perfect and good, but comparing with 36T, 36T is more easier to ride, and 72T has a very good reaction during the climbing.
The 31 wide is not issue when I'm climb, but have a fast reaction during the descent. I like this wheels more than the Zipp, or WTO or DT swiss. good wheels, thats why Tour de FRance, Merida, Jumbo wins many stages

F45

by F45

Those hubs are interesting. Looks like that dished aluminum drive clutch is showing up on a few different brands.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Judging by the cross section diagram, these aren't 33mm wide at "the brake track" but deeper into the profile.

Any measurements at the "brake track" for these rims?

* I realize these are disc brake but we need a new term for the rim tyre interface.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com