Farsports Kaze rim brake wheels - heads up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basilic

by basilic

I ordered a set of such wheels (rim brake, tubular), and they came within the announced timeframe. Surprise, there were no grooves on the brake tracks.
I contacted the company and the contact person said that there is that option too, not everyone wants the grooves. Which is fine, but no option was mentioned when I ordered the wheels, and their website says this about Kaze: "the rim brake verion uses the ATA brake technology and HMX material". So you know, ATA=grooves and HMX=hard surface.
So make sure you specify what you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

Are you happy with the wheels? Did they offer to correct the situation?

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the process of considering ordering directly from them. Good to know to be very specific

basilic

by basilic

velomane wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 am
They just arrived. Not sure how important these grooves are vs the hassle and carbon impact of shipping them back.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

basilic wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 am
velomane wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 am
They just arrived. Not sure how important these grooves are vs the hassle and carbon impact of shipping them back.
I have both versions. In the dry the difference is minimal. In the wet there is a difference, but i always feel that such things are not really quantifiable as it is more a initial feeling of bite than absolut braking power (which i would say is pretty much the same). Braking sounds different though.

i can from own experience say though that stone strikes on the brake track (if unlucky) can chip the resin at the grooves, this would not happen the same way without the grooves.