Tubeless vs tubed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

MikeD wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am
HenryH wrote:I could see the risk of blow out being an argument for not running latex. I'm hoping at least if/when I get a puncture on tubeless that it won't be a very dramatic event.

I won't get the 5000TL next time by the way. Grip hasn't bothered me, but my experience is also that it is average. If I continue with tubeless I'll probably try veloflex next time.
Why are latex tubes prone to blowouts? They can't take the heat as well as butyl, but if you're not doing really steep, long descents, heavy on the brakes, they should be as reliable as butyl. In fact it is claimed they are more puncture resistant than butyl tubes.
Disc brakes mean that one of the major disadvantages of latex tubes, the sensitivity to heat build up when braking is no longer a problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

HenryH wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am
HenryH wrote:I could see the risk of blow out being an argument for not running latex. I'm hoping at least if/when I get a puncture on tubeless that it won't be a very dramatic event.

I won't get the 5000TL next time by the way. Grip hasn't bothered me, but my experience is also that it is average. If I continue with tubeless I'll probably try veloflex next time.
Why are latex tubes prone to blowouts? They can't take the heat as well as butyl, but if you're not doing really steep, long descents, heavy on the brakes, they should be as reliable as butyl. In fact it is claimed they are more puncture resistant than butyl tubes.
I didn't mean to differentiate between latex and any other sort of tube.

In any case I don't think it is a big deal, but it seems to me if you get a high speed puncture you will have a better shot of it not being dramatic on tubeless. Even if it doesn't completely seal you would think the sealant would at least make it lose air slower? And you will not have a tube blowing out. There might be other fault modes more likely on tubeless though? I don't know.
Tubeless has a failure mode where the tire can blow off the rim. You don't see that with tubes. (Well, there is the heat related blowoff, but I've never experienced that in 30+ years of riding and I've ridden plenty of the steepest descents in Northern California, including using latex tubes). Burps happen too, but I think that's a low pressure phenomenon.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have a little over 40,000km on tubeless. Once on a long ride I picked up a gash so big that I couldn't put a tube in, and had to phone for rescue. Recently I had another puncture that was too big to seal, but I used a boot and a tube, and it was fine. Really not a big deal to do this-take out the TL valved stem, add the tube and boot (Canadian 5 dollar bill), and go. Several times I have detected a puncture by getting sprayed with sealant until it seals, but operationally, it seems like I don't puncture, whereas with tubes on our roads, fixing flat tires was a regular occurrence. So I continue with tubeless because over a two and a half year sample, I have had to get off my bike to attend to a tire only twice. How much I need to pump tires up depends on the tire. No issue when starting out each day, and I carry CO2 and a minipump for the road.
Factor Ostro

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I've run tubeless GP5000 for 6000km. In that time I have had 3 major flats wouldn't seal, all three were cuts or gashes around 10mm long. 2 of them I managed to put a tube in without too much hassel to get home. In all 3 cases the tyres were beyond repair and went in the bin. Most likely would have been the same result is I was running tubes.

Recently I've had 2 front punctures, I didn't notice until the next day when the pressure was low the next day. In both cases in the punctures weren't sealing properly, a quick poke with a pin and how they have sealed fine. I suspect such there was a bit of glass in the cut that would continually break the sealant seal or the punctures were too small to seal. Will I continue with tubeless when the tyres need changing? Maybe

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

GregR wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:31 am
This may seem like a topic from years ago. However, I'm curious about whether people are still happy with tubeless after having lengthy experience with them.
Personally, my 25c GP4000s that I have on my current bike are starting to look worn (after 7800 km) so I'm trying to decide between another set of tube tires, or making the transition to tubeless.
So, with all the experience on this board with tubeless, is everyone still sold on them? Has anyone gone back to tubes? If you have stuck with tubeless, what do you love about them? What don't you like?
Tubed tires are pretty easy. Tubeless seems a lot more difficult. Possibly messy.
I can change a tube pretty fast on the side of the road. With tubeless, if the sealant doesn't work, not sure if I can fix that on the go. And if I can, it won't be easy.
Is there enough benefit from tubeless to balance the extra hassle, or is there less hassle than I think?
The issue with tubeless is mostly if you puncture and it doesn't seal. Some tires simply need a real compressor to be seated. So if i ran tubeless i would bring an inner tube along. (if i ride my gravel which have tubeless rims, i still bring an innertube.) Several times when i have punctured i have been forced to walk home because i didn't bring an inner tube.
When i bought my last wheelset, custom Schmolke, i actually went for clincher only. Make of it what you want!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Miller

by Miller

Running road tubeless since 2014, would not go back to rubber airbags. I've had some adventures along the way but my frequency of being stopped at the roadside has dwindled away to nothing.

warthog101

by warthog101

Nowhere near as long on them here, but yeah punctures way down too.
Actually haven't had one I've had to stop for yet. I carry a tube, levers and puncture kit for tube in a saddle bag anyway.
About 10k km on them so far.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I've done over 3400 miles with a puncture that required me to service it road side. I will never go back to tubes. My average with tubes was every 600-100 miles I would get a flat. I even carried a frame pump with tubes.
Ride fast Take chances