Wheels Mont Ventoux

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solotalent

by solotalent

Hi,
Next year I will be riding the Mont Ventoux in an attempt to become a member of the famous "club des cingles" (translated club for slightly retarded people), which means I will have to climb it three times in one day.
I currently own a Canyon Aeroad CFR with Zipp 454 NSW wheels. However, I hear that the top of the mont ventoux can be quite windy and probably not really suitable for deep section carbon wheels, especially when descending with 80 km/h. So that means I'll have an excuse to buy an additional wheelset (at least that's what I'll be telling my wife 8) ).
Currently I'm leaning towards the Zipp 303 firecrest, as they are lightweight (+-1300grams) but still pretty aero. However, I'm wondering whether I should go for an even more shallow wheel set.

Advice is very much appreciated! Btw I weigh 75kg, usually not too bothered by gusty sidewinds on flat roads but don't really want to risk it in a high-speed descent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

The cingle was my first real biking adventure. So inexperienced rider at that moment but I thought it was a scary descent even with a shallow Easton alu wheelset. I nearly got blown off the road completely on an otherwise nearly wind-free day.
Personally I still ride in the mountains on a shallow alu rim wheelset (bontrager paradigm elite) and prefer that to my 45mm or more wheels.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

FWIW...
I just crossed the Alps including Telegraphe/Galibier, Pré, Roselend, Iseran, Izoard, Vars, Bonette and some others....all using my 47mm Corima MCC wheels (rim brake OMG 😱). No issues even when we had quite some wind on some of the descends. I am 75kg as well and my Look 785 Huez RS is probably more lively than your Aeroad...
IMO key is that you sit stable on the bike, use the drops and know (practice before) how to brake properly on 10% descends (shift weight FAR back on the saddle), then you should be OK with 45mm wheels.
Wrt Big V: coincidently I plan to become member of the club on 29 July, can give you some 1st hand feedback afterwards 😁

solotalent

by solotalent

Thanks, good to hear!

I have some experience with descending, rode the Maratona Dolomiti two years ago, but that was with my old cube attain sl + mavi ksyrium elite (rim breaks though). Felt pretty comfortable descending despite the rim breaks, but wondering how it will be with deep section wheels and gusty crosswinds.

Good luck conquering the Ventoux! Let me know how it was! :D

Stueys

by Stueys

Did cingles a few years ago, it's a great day out enjoy.

The mistral picks up very nicely in the afternoon and you are likely to see some guests on the exposed ridgeline within the first couple of km from the top. Once you get past chalet Reynard you are sheltered on the rest of the descent on all the routes, its only really the first few twists down front the top.

I think I used c24's, which were a great wheel back then but we are talking 7 or 8 years ago. Assuming you're on discs (if not take an alloy rim) then I'd go for something shallow, even on my C24's I upclipped one side on the first 500m of the last descent, it was gusting a gale.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Unless you're used to riding around Ventoux you won't be descending at 80kph.
The top section if frankly fu€$ing terrifying when it's breezy as the wind swaps direction super fast. When it's blowing you towards the edge with nothing to catch you, you soon slow down.
When it's windy I've seen people freewheel with their brakes on at 30kph or less.

Once you hit the Forrest section to can pick the speed up as the trees protect you and the corners are pretty sweeping. Nice road surface too but you do get drivers and motorcycles stopping to take pictures etc

I'd concentrate on what wheels you need to get up the climb rather than down.
I went with Reynolds attack 40mm as they were the shallowest of my wheels at the time. Rotors were ashima 77g airrotors which works really well given the abuse they received.

At the time I lived in Geneva so did a lot of mountain descending. Nothing prepared me for descending Ventoux.

Aesch

by Aesch

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm
Unless you're used to riding around Ventoux you won't be descending at 80kph.
The top section if frankly fu€$ing terrifying when it's breezy as the wind swaps direction super fast. When it's blowing you towards the edge with nothing to catch you, you soon slow down.
When it's windy I've seen people freewheel with their brakes on at 30kph or less.

Once you hit the Forrest section to can pick the speed up as the trees protect you and the corners are pretty sweeping. Nice road surface too but you do get drivers and motorcycles stopping to take pictures etc

I'd concentrate on what wheels you need to get up the climb rather than down.
I went with Reynolds attack 40mm as they were the shallowest of my wheels at the time. Rotors were ashima 77g airrotors which works really well given the abuse they received.

At the time I lived in Geneva so did a lot of mountain descending. Nothing prepared me for descending Ventoux.
Yes busy days are scary too! I can still vividly remember the BMW m5 station overtaking my right before a corner, then pulling in front of me and slamming on the brakes. I got to see what was in the back much more up close and faster then I'd ever seen.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

As promised a quick f/b....
Did cinglés yesterday using the 47mm Corima MCC wheels. Was great fun and there wasn't a single scary moment. Have to admit it was a rather quiet (wind-wise) day, matters might be different if you are there e.g. early June or so.
Note: beware of the donkeys standing on the road when you downhill towards Chalet Reynard! No joke...

solotalent

by solotalent

Good to hear! Congratulations on joining the club. I think I will go for the zipp's 303 firecrest, they're not too deep and very light. Thanks!

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Did it last year with 45mm wheels, I weigh 60kg and didn’t have any problems. Conditions where ideal to, almost no wind (September). Stupid me thought a 34-28 was a low enough gear, maybe enough for 1 ascent but not 3 times, average cadence was 60 lol

Definitely a bucketlist item!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Just did the Ventoux yesterday on the Roval Rapide (51/60). The descent to Malaucene was fast and amazing and despite it being quite windy, it was pretty easy to handle even at 70kph.

Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

rollinslow

by rollinslow

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 pm
Just did the Ventoux yesterday on the Roval Rapide (51/60). The descent to Malaucene was fast and amazing and despite it being quite windy, it was pretty easy to handle even at 70kph.

Great photo!

For my own curiosity, what was your strategy for flying with your disc bike overseas?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Those photos are bloody expensive lol

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Oioi!! Awsome picture :)

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

rollinslow wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 pm

Great photo!

For my own curiosity, what was your strategy for flying with your disc bike overseas?
Living in Europe was good start, and then going by car...
Only flew twice with a dB bike and just threw it on the plane oblivious of there being potential issues... and got lucky :D

The photos are like 20 quid each, pretty pricey. But how often do you really climb one of the greatest climbs on earth? And I wanted to go full send, so it was cool someone taking photos without me having to stop.

This one shows the agony a little better (already like 65 minutes into the climb) :
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com