Lifespan of carbon rim brake wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bilwit

by bilwit

My first set of carbon rims (clinchers) I wore through until it was pretty much visibly unsafe to ride at around 14,000km. I rode them through a couple of the most rainiest seasons in Seattle ever recorded and had to hard brake to stop at an intersection at the bottom of a hill every day (1.2km @ 6.7%).

I also had a pair of ceramic-coated alloy rims (not carbon ofc but bear with me) that observed zero noticeable wear after months of use in nice weather, but the very first day I took it out in the rain (happened to be a big storm) the coating was almost gone, which gives you an idea of how terrible conditions exponentially increases wear.

Now that I have a couple of sets on hand (tubular) that I switch between and strictly only take out during nice weather I expect them to last a very, very long time.

I would expect people who both live in flat areas (or never have frequent necessity to brake ie. not in a city or steep twisty mountains) and only take them out to ride on nice days (which is a dominant factor) to have no issue with lifespan--they'll likely get rid of them sooner for upgrades rather than for need.
Last edited by bilwit on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

bilwit wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:42 pm
My first set of carbon rims (clinchers) I wore through until it was pretty much visibly unsafe to ride at around 14,000km. I rode them through a couple of the most rainiest seasons in Seattle ever recorded and had to hard brake to stop at an intersection at the bottom of a hill every day (1.2km @ 6.7%).
Even still, 14,000km in worst case scenario isn't bad, in my opinion. Really encouraging to hear this. I always considered rim wear as a huge benefit to disc brakes, but it seems like I can't use that as an excuse to upgrade from rim brakes now!
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

AW84

by AW84

Your mileage will vary with your terrain. I live in the midwest with a lot of rolling hills and flat countryside, and I have a set of Vision wheels with every bit of 30,000 miles on them and you can hardly tell they've been ridden. I know of other riders with 50,000 or more on theirs still going strong. Unless you live in the mountains, you'll probably get bored and replace them or crash and damage them before they wear out.

warthog101

by warthog101

Riding in the rain would hammer them most imo.
Certainly does my aluminium wheels.
If it's raining these days I'll zwift or not ride.
I ride for enjoyment primarily.
Don't enjoy riding in rain so my carbons won't see it often.