New Princeton CarbonWorks Peak 4550

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Princeton CarbonWorks has released the Peak 4550, previously seen on Tom Pidcock's steed. It is their light weight wheel, dubbed as the "Meilenstein-Killer" and released in tub and hooked tubeless, and rim and disc brake.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/princet ... ht-wheels/

What makes these look really 2017 is the internal width of 18.5mm.
SRAM/ ZIPP having released the eerily similar 454s yesterday, with a similar weight, but 23mm hookless internal width, probably have the more interesting product for most. Also, these aren't cheap at $3,400 for the launch version and $3,100 for the regular version.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

seem to rely on carbon-ti hubs to drive down the weight. and as you pointed out the internal width seems to have went down the DT swiss/Swisside path.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Honestly I believe Zipp lost it with going to 23-25mm internal rims. Somewhere around 19-20mm is the sweetspot for me and I tried them all between 15-25mm (to be fair the last one is on MTB, road until 21c which was ok but not better).

Also so many rims are built to specs nowadays. Weight, width, height and TLR or not. Nothing else seems to matter. If those are the requirements you can find loads of cheap(er) wheels that fit the bill. If it was that simple there wouldn't be any reason to ever spend over a $1.000*.

* = Lightbicycle/Farsports/Yoeleo customer coming incoming in 3, 2, 1...
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm
seem to rely on carbon-ti hubs to drive down the weight. and as you pointed out the internal width seems to have went down the DT swiss/Swisside path.
DTSwiss 2017. The 2020 dB version is 20c interenally, which isn't that bad.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

otnemem

by otnemem

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm
and as you pointed out the internal width seems to have went down the DT swiss/Swisside path.
Princeton and SwissSide actually publish their wind tunnel data (with SwissSide going further than that). Zipp stopped doing it (after being the most prolific at it) around the same time they started pushing the ?5? wheels.
"Unrelated" some would say. "Suspicious at the least" others would say.