Pillar PDB1416 recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

I have always used Sapim lasers... I see the this spoke for half of the cost of lasers on bike hub store.

Searched here with no results of any consequence... How does this spoke compare for durability to the laser?
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've used Pillar spokes with very good results. Make sure you get the models with the 'PSR' designation. PSR stands for Pillar Special Reinforced. The elbow of the spoke is thicker at 2.2mm, versus the 2.0mm found on Sapim spokes. Spoke breakage mostly happen at the spoke's elbow. The elbow reinforcement adds strength without adding significant weight. My favorite Pillar spoke is the Wing 20, which in weight is equivalent to the Sapim CX-Ray. I do use a higher spoke count to make up the lack of stiffness of the Wing 20. For wheel strength at a given total spoke weight, it's better to have lots of thin spokes than fewer but heavier/stiffer spokes.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

We've built around 10 wheelsets with cn-spoke and pillar spokes, and we haven't broken a single spoke. They're not substandard. Got heavy riders, stronger riders, etc. Used mostly the cx-ray equivalents.

The only complaint I ever read about (by not experienced myself) is that some bladed J-spokes weren't angled properly so the blade direction was off.