Swisstop Yellows ok for Reynolds wheels? Are they too aggressive?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theStig

by theStig

I've been running the blue reynolds pads on my Reynolds Aero wheelset for a while without issue.

Just bought some new SRAM S-900 direct mount brakes and they ship with Swisstop yellows. I've read about the yellow pads overheating rimstrips, delaminating carbon, wearing out braking surfaces, leaving yellow deposits, causing tooth decay, etc ad nauseum.

When i was going to swap them out with my blue reynolds pads, i noticed that the blue pads were pretty much worn. The new build has been nickel and diming me to death and I don't feel like dropping any more money into this thing. Can I just get by with the yellow pads? I'm a bit of a clydesdale, but don't do hills on this bike, and most descents really don't last longer than 5-10 seconds max. It also never rains here so I don't care about we braking.

thanks guys!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My experience with the Yellows is that they are the softest pad going. The wear out faster and "sacrifice" themselves. They are the opposite of what you are describing - should be very gentle on any wheels. Brakes will feel a bit more spongy and yeah, there will be yellow dust but so what? I say use 'em.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ico

by ico

Had them on Corima wheels, and they were great. Nothing to worry about.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

You're right about these pads leaving yellow deposits, it's a bit unsightly, but comes off without too much trouble if you don't leave it for too long.

Didn't know they cause tooth decay though, must eat less yellow Swisstop. :D
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress