Never had carbon rims. Squealing with rim brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bilwit

by bilwit

In general I find they make an audible "hmmmm" sound with normal braking. I've only heard "squeeling" with pads that I've sanded with too low of a grit or very, very hard braking (ie. having to come to a complete stop at the bottom of a long/steep descent).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rossin67

by Rossin67

Okay, I'm back to looking at carbon wheels and didn't want to start another thread.

I've come across the Pacenti Carbon 45 Tubular Rim on sale for $600 with a 25mm external. I've always ran 23mm tires on narrower rims. Everything is so dang wide today.

Would a 26mm tire work? I assume it would be fine but .5 on each side doesn't seem to be much and my bike can't clear a 28, it would rub the top inside of the fork. And are Pacenti hubs pretty reliable?

And any pad recommendations? I have 6700 calipers. Sorry for all the questions, I may order them today.

https://pacenticycledesign.com/collecti ... -wheel-set

bilwit

by bilwit

Rossin67 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:57 am
Okay, I'm back to looking at carbon wheels and didn't want to start another thread.

I've come across the Pacenti Carbon 45 Tubular Rim on sale for $600 with a 25mm external. I've always ran 23mm tires on narrower rims. Everything is so dang wide today.

Would a 26mm tire work? I assume it would be fine but .5 on each side doesn't seem to be much and my bike can't clear a 28, it would rub the top inside of the fork. And are Pacenti hubs pretty reliable?

And any pad recommendations? I have 6700 calipers. Sorry for all the questions, I may order them today.

A 26mm is fine, it might be a little wide with regards to aero optimization (if you care about that) but it will also depend on the tub itself, it could measure a touch smaller when installed ie. my Veloflex Arenbergs (25mm) measure 24.5mm on 25mm wide rims.

The Pacenti hubs are rebranded Bitex hubs. I don't have any experience with them but if you do a search on here for that brand they seem to have a decent reputation.

For pads the consensus seems to be:
  1. Red Campagnolo - might pricey and/or hard to find depending on your location (I could be wrong but I'm not sure if they're even still actively being produced which would make them more expensive/rare/scarce as time goes on). I reserve these for special occasion.
  2. SwissStop Black Prince - Seems to be love or hate. They're a hardy pad that wear fast but in my experience, if there's hard braking involved I completely trust them. I've also notice that braking is definitely degraded when they become shiny/glazed overr, so I sand them down with high grit to restore them every so often which may be annoying to maintain. Also known to be a bit more audible than others. These are my preference for every day riding.
  3. Blue "Reynolds" (or generic clones of it) - These are the go-to because they're cheap and get the job done if you live in a pretty flat area. IME they are poor for hard braking so I stopped using them.

Rossin67

by Rossin67

bilwit wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:35 pm
Rossin67 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:57 am

A 26mm is fine, it might be a little wide with regards to aero optimization (if you care about that) but it will also depend on the tub itself, it could measure a touch smaller when installed ie. my Veloflex Arenbergs (25mm) measure 24.5mm on 25mm wide rims.

The Pacenti hubs are rebranded Bitex hubs. I don't have any experience with them but if you do a search on here for that brand they seem to have a decent reputation.

For pads the consensus seems to be:
  1. Red Campagnolo - might pricey and/or hard to find depending on your location (I could be wrong but I'm not sure if they're even still actively being produced which would make them more expensive/rare/scarce as time goes on). I reserve these for special occasion.
  2. SwissStop Black Prince - Seems to be love or hate. They're a hardy pad that wear fast but in my experience, if there's hard braking involved I completely trust them. I've also notice that braking is definitely degraded when they become shiny/glazed overr, so I sand them down with high grit to restore them every so often which may be annoying to maintain. Also known to be a bit more audible than others. These are my preference for every day riding.
  3. Blue "Reynolds" (or generic clones of it) - These are the go-to because they're cheap and get the job done if you live in a pretty flat area. IME they are poor for hard braking so I stopped using them.
Thanks. I was looking at having Pro Wheel Builder do me a custom set for another bike and I was going to go with the Bitex hubs. I did my research on them and they appear to be fine.

Miller

by Miller

Bit of carbon brake squealing isn't so bad, it's the price of riding fast wheels, plus you can give pedestrians fair warning you're approaching :-)