Bontrager Aeolus RSL 37 vs Roval Alpinist

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

I'm thinking to upgrade the wheels on my Emonda SL6. Current wheels is Aeolus Elite 35.
I'm curious if anyone has the experience of riding the two or pointing me to a good review.
Typically my riding involves climbing, and I'm not a racer and don't care much about aero.
On paper, Alpinist is lighter than Aeolus, but which one is stiffer?
I don't mind mixing up the brand, and that's okay if people have opinion on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Aeolus RSL 37 is deeper, wider and officially tubeless compatible. Easy choice for me.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:57 am
The Aeolus RSL 37 is deeper, wider and officially tubeless compatible. Easy choice for me.
They now have a even wider version (25mm internal, 31mm external). Very appealing!!

But roval has the Terra clx. Best lightweight offer they have.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Just ran the RSL37 with tubes during an Haute Route event and they were absolutely fantastic. I was running 28c front, 30c rear Conti 5k, and the wheels felt super fast uphill, fast enough on the flat bits and were stable on 70+kph descending.
I never rode the Alpinist but there isn't much more I could want from a climbing wheel.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RustyCage

by RustyCage

Both the Rovals and Aeolus are top end wheels. That said, despite the increased weight, I would opt for the Bontragers. The Alpinist are optimized for climbing, while the Bontragers are more a general wheelset.

A note on the bontragers: The RSL 37 is only 2w slower than the RSL 51, which is a fair trade for the stability when going down hill. Going uphill aero doesn’t matter. Flat landers should go with the 51s. That said, unless you have frame considerations, the wider RSL 37V (different than the RSL 37) with 28s or 28F/32R tires makes more sense to me. Unike Zipp or Enve, the hooked RSL 37V has general tire security and wide internal width. I suspect the next generation Rovals will look like the RSL 37V.

pmprego

by pmprego

RustyCage wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:59 am
Both the Rovals and Aeolus are top end wheels. That said, despite the increased weight, I would opt for the Bontragers. The Alpinist are optimized for climbing, while the Bontragers are more a general wheelset.

A note on the bontragers: The RSL 37 is only 2w slower than the RSL 51, which is a fair trade for the stability when going down hill. Going uphill aero doesn’t matter. Flat landers should go with the 51s. That said, unless you have frame considerations, the wider RSL 37V (different than the RSL 37) with 28s or 28F/32R tires makes more sense to me. Unike Zipp or Enve, the hooked RSL 37V has general tire security and wide internal width. I suspect the next generation Rovals will look like the RSL 37V.
Can you link to this info? Thanks

RustyCage

by RustyCage

Estimated from this data. Assuming on the tire/etc..

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I'd say current gen is pretty on par with RSL37. Weight and aero drag should be about the same. Might just be about which tires you want.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

dkvbiker

by dkvbiker

How do these compare to the new Shimano C36 Dura-Ace wheels? 1350g. (21mm inner and 28 mm outher rim width.) 1:1 spoke ratio.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

the new Shimano C36 Dura-Ace wheels are not good, the hub still use the old school, I sugget for ride more faster is using carbon spokes

check this comparison table chart

you can see the good perfomance in climb and aero is SLR 2018, Yoeleo or zipp 404 and of course Farsports and Hyper.

or the Tour de France champion winning : Vision Metron 45 SL with 1380grams only

pmprego

by pmprego

Taiyoto is that you? Because the writing is. TdF winner was Tadej Pogacar not a Bahrain rider. Sorry.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Lol. I thought it seemed familiar.

VvM

by VvM

Double up, apologies
Last edited by VvM on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VvM

by VvM

I have the RSL's now for a couple of month and I am very satisfied. Saying that, I have no real comparison as these are my first carbon wheels (used alloy HED Belgium+ before). However all I can say is that they roll just fantastic, engagement is breat, they climb very well and found them very good on the flats as well. Broke pretty much all of my PR's in last few months and they are just so smooth. Again, I can't compare it against anything else similar but I am certainly very happy with them.