Roval Rapide CLX / Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 / DTSwiss ARC 1100 DB 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which wheel would you choose?

Roval Rapide CLX
43%
Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51
27%
DTSwiss ARC 1100 DB 50
30%

Total votes: 30

xMLxDefault

by xMLxDefault

Hello,
I'm having trouble choosing a pair of wheels to upgrade, but can't decide on which one to get.
I'm currently riding a Tarmc SL7 with a pair of Fulcrum Quattro Carbon DB.
My current options are the same as the title suggests: Roval Rapide CLX, Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51, or DTSwiss ARC 1100 DB 50
I have gathered some basic information about these wheels:
Roval Rapide CLX:
Weight: 1400g
Rim depth: Front 51mm, Rare 60mm
Rim width (inner/outer): Front (21mm/35mm), Rare (21mm/30.7mm)

Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51:
Weight: 1410g
Rim depth: Front 51mm, Rare 51mm
Rim width (inner/outer): Front (23mm/31mm), Rare (23mm/31mm)

DTSwiss ARC 1100 DB 50:
Weight: 1472g
Rim depth: Front 50mm, Rare 50mm
Rim width (inner/outer): Front (20mm/26.5mm), Rare (20mm/26.5mm)
Bonus: 180 hubs with ceramic bearings.

I ride both flats and climbs all the time, so I want to look for an all-rounder.
So if price aside, which wheel would you guys go for and why?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. Tubeless compatibility is not a problem since I'll be running the new wheel on clinchers.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The RSL and the Swiss have basically the same hubs. The hubs in the ARC 1100 and 1400 are the same, but DT swiss machined the disc brake mount a bit (the "240" and the "180" are the same hub here - the difference in DT hubs are the extra $$ machining of the outside of the hubs for weight). The Roval has effectly the same hub (the hub does look really pretty, it is not aero-er or any other quaity better). I have the DT Swiss ARC /Swiss Side hubs with the ceramic bearings... 1) they aren't any better than regular bearings and 2) they do feel a touch looser/rattle-y because they have super light grease in there. I wouldn't pay anything for ceramic bearings. THese are effectively the same wheels.

The aero hubs on these are worth 1w according to DT / Swissside. The ceramic bearing is only faster for a few rides. You can save HALF your money and get the wheels if you go the next version down (CL/Pro/1400) in all cases here, with the only difference being the astethics of the hub. These builds are expensive for exensive's sake - I doubt the would even perform better on a good aero test.
Here's the difference better the builds
Roval (CL50 v CLX50) - $750 for aero spokes ($150 retail) and an AL freehub body ($70). 100gr (50gr is the freehub body you can change without tools). There's really no excuse for using a round spoke here, Roval did this on purpose to cheapen the CLs appeal. The steel freehub body is MORE expensive, they just wanted to add weight to middle teir.
Bontrager (RSL v Pro) -fancy DT hub for standard one - $1100 (180gr, I suspect the weights are off for both probably the freehub body thing again. )
DTSwiss (1100 v 1400) - $400 (street) a bit of hub machining on the brake mount and a bit lighter aero spokes. (75gr - mostly the spoke weight)

The DT Swiss 1400 are probably the best value at $1300eur for the pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xMLxDefault

by xMLxDefault

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 pm
The RSL and the Swiss have basically the same hubs. The hubs in the ARC 1100 and 1400 are the same, but DT swiss machined the disc brake mount a bit (the "240" and the "180" are the same hub here - the difference in DT hubs are the extra $$ machining of the outside of the hubs for weight). The Roval has effectly the same hub (the hub does look really pretty, it is not aero-er or any other quaity better). I have the DT Swiss ARC /Swiss Side hubs with the ceramic bearings... 1) they aren't any better than regular bearings and 2) they do feel a touch looser/rattle-y because they have super light grease in there. I wouldn't pay anything for ceramic bearings. THese are effectively the same wheels.

The aero hubs on these are worth 1w according to DT / Swissside. The ceramic bearing is only faster for a few rides. You can save HALF your money and get the wheels if you go the next version down (CL/Pro/1400) in all cases here, with the only difference being the astethics of the hub. These builds are expensive for exensive's sake - I doubt the would even perform better on a good aero test.
Roval (CL50 v CLX50) - $750 for aero spokes ($150 retail) and an AL freehub body ($70). 100gr (50gr is the freehub body you can change without tools). There's really no excuse for using a round spoke here, Roval did this on purpose to cheapen the CLs appeal. The steel freehub body is MORE expensive, they just wanted to add weight to middle teir.
Bontrager (RSL v Pro) -fancy DT hub for standard one - $1100 (180gr, I suspect the weights are off for both probably the freehub body thing again. )
DTSwiss (1100 v 1400) - $400 (street) a bit of hub machining on the brake mount and a bit lighter aero spokes. (75gr - mostly the spoke weight)

The DT Swiss 1400 are probably the best value at $1300eur for the pair.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will put that into consideration. :)
I also do think the second tier wheels are nice, but since I'm not much of a mechanic and am a bit conscious about aero and weight benefit, I'm still leaning towards the first tier wheels.

JOLD666

by JOLD666

Funnily enough, i'm trying to answer the exact same question...

Trouble is 2 of the three options have no stock and are quoting 4-6 month delivery times (bontrager & roval). For that reason i've included bora wto ultras in my list but can't help but get hung up by the 19 internal width and inferior warranty compared to the other two (although I don't believe quality or reliability would ever be an issue).

I'm of the opinion to just wait a month or two and see whether roval release a new certified tubeless wheelset or just wait it out on the RSL 51s - throwing into the mix my preference would be gloss over a matt finish too!

jadedaid

by jadedaid

If you're EU based, spectrum bike in Czech has the Rovals in stock. The Roval warranty is better in the US though, so if you're US based probably better trying to source it through a local dealer.

https://www.spectrumbike.cz/set/special ... e-clx-set/

refthimos

by refthimos

I'd suggest signing up for the "Back in Stock" alerts on the Specialized website. I was looking to buy Rapides in Fall 2020 and they were sold out. I received the "back in Stock" email on May 12 and ordered within an hour of receiving the email. It looks like Specialized sold through the restock pretty quickly.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

xMLxDefault

by xMLxDefault

(A quick update)

I was offered a pretty decent price for a pair of ARC 1100, but because of the recent problem with DT Swiss, I had to wait till at least November to receive the wheels. On the other hand, the local Specialized store had the Rapide CLX in stock, so I ended up buying the Rapide CLX. :)

andreas

by andreas

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 pm
Notice that CL50/CLX50 is the old version with worse handling, higher weight and tubeless compatibility. And the Rapide CL is not sold aftermarket, only together with pre-built bikes.
CL50 doesn't have a steel freehub body, but maybe Rapide CL has. And yes I would prefer a non-alu freehub 10/10 times, Shimano DA c24 titanium freehub body is the best I've ever had.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Was wondering if one can rebuild the quattros with a 240 hub and lighter weight spokes....but that might be cost of the CL50 or other mid-tier wheel...

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

xMLxDefault wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:09 am
(A quick update)

I was offered a pretty decent price for a pair of ARC 1100, but because of the recent problem with DT Swiss, I had to wait till at least November to receive the wheels. On the other hand, the local Specialized store had the Rapide CLX in stock, so I ended up buying the Rapide CLX. :)

Sorry, I had to revive an old thread... How do you find them now?
I'm on the exactly same boat. Currently on some aeolus pro 37 on my emonda. Quite happy on those, but looking for something a little deeper and hopefully faster.

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Eggyeggs wrote:
xMLxDefault wrote:
(A quick update)

I'm on the exactly same boat. Currently on some aeolus pro 37 on my emonda. Quite happy on those, but looking for something a little deeper and hopefully faster.
Have you thought about switching them to the new Aeolus Pro 51?

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

ToileySiphon wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:14 pm
Eggyeggs wrote:
xMLxDefault wrote:
(A quick update)

More the RSL than the Pros. The Pros seem a tad heavy for me.

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Eggyeggs wrote:
ToileySiphon wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:14 pm
Eggyeggs wrote:
xMLxDefault wrote:
(A quick update)

More the RSL than the Pros. The Pros seem a tad heavy for me.
Oh I was suggesting them because they are in the same price range as your 37's. RSL are in another ballpark, but I'd go for them if I could afford them. Personally I'm currently debating between the Pro 37 or 51, tubeless or tubed.

xMLxDefault

by xMLxDefault

Eggyeggs wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:19 pm
After riding them for a few months, I think they're great and loud. They're deep enough for the flats, and light enough for the climbs. They also handle crosswind pretty nicely. I know they are not the ones to blame when I get dropped. The only tiny problem I had was that where I usually run 25c tyres front/rear, I had to change to 28c tyre for the front due to the extremely wide rim width. I run 28c front and 25c rear now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

xMLxDefault wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Eggyeggs wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:19 pm
After riding them for a few months, I think they're great and loud. They're deep enough for the flats, and light enough for the climbs. They also handle crosswind pretty nicely. I know they are not the ones to blame when I get dropped. The only tiny problem I had was that where I usually run 25c tyres front/rear, I had to change to 28c tyre for the front due to the extremely wide rim width. I run 28c front and 25c rear now.

Yeeeesh. Just had a listen on youtube for a freehub sound check and I do not fancy that sound at all. Yikes. I very much enjoy the quieter noise of my aeolus 37. I guess no rapides for me.