Tubeless burping… or something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Oms

by Oms

Very bizzare:

Winspace Hyper 50mm (rim brake). Hutchinson Glactic Fusion 5 25mm (tubeless) fitted.

As a test, the tyre was inflated two days ago (no sealant) and kept its pressure (circa 80psi) fine.

I gave the tyre a squeeze... it felt perfect... drooled over the wheel... put it down again... made a cuppa tea... picked up the wheel again (to put it back where it was) noticed all the air had escaped!

Seems the act of lifting the wheel and placing it somewhere else (maybe a bit of touching parts) led to a rather quick purge of air (which I couldn't hear over the kettle).

Any ideas? I can only think of dodgy valves that might let go so suddenly?

Ps The tyre is very well seated on the rim (ie very hard to get off the seat when deflated). No way the tyre became unseated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Here's a secret: There is no point in fooling around with "no sealant."

You got lucky upon initial install...you disturbed it and gap opened somewhere. If you had sealant in the tire, this would have sealed within a couple rotations of the wheel/tire or a couple of shakes.

Oms

by Oms

I fully intend to run the system with sealant - it's good to see if there are any leaks in the system beforehand (rather than them being masked by sealant)...

...and this is what's concerning me... the rapid drop in pressure, which may mean that one of the components isn't up to scratch IMO. 🤞

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Slow leaks sometimes aren’t that slow. Add sealant and ride.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

You clearly don't understand tubeless. Stick with innertubes.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Oms

by Oms

ryanw wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:33 am
You clearly don't understand tubeless. Stick with innertubes.
Could you take the time to elaborate please?

To 'stick' with tubes would mean that I currently run tubes... but I don't. Seems a paradox to me.

Oms

by Oms

Double post.
Last edited by Oms on Tue May 25, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oms

by Oms

Triple post.

Miller

by Miller

Oms wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 am
I fully intend to run the system with sealant - it's good to see if there are any leaks in the system beforehand (rather than them being masked by sealant)...

...and this is what's concerning me... the rapid drop in pressure, which may mean that one of the components isn't up to scratch IMO. 🤞
Of course there are leaks in the system! There's about four metres of tyre/rim interface to seal not to mention tubeless tape and valves. For me it's impressive your wheel kept any air at all. Sealant is what makes tubeless work. Just bung some in and ride and stop stressing about theoretical concerns.

Oms

by Oms

Miller wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:23 am
Oms wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 am

Of course there are leaks in the system! There's about four metres of tyre/rim interface to seal not to mention tubeless tape and valves. For me it's impressive your wheel kept any air at all. Sealant is what makes tubeless work. Just bung some in and ride and stop stressing about theoretical concerns.
Okidokers - will do.

Still waiting on a frame. New wheelset excitement is currently torture. 😃

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Thats why these wheels are called tubless ready...its not gonna hold perfectly witout sealant.

I have hypers discs with hutchison fusion performance, no problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oms

by Oms

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:09 pm
Thats why these wheels are called tubless ready...its not gonna hold perfectly witout sealant.

I have hypers discs with hutchison fusion performance, no problems
Thanks. Good to know.

I've run TLR setups on DtSwiss and Mavic rims with no problems so far (apart from the nightmare of getting GP5000s mounted).

How are you finding the suppplied valves? I think they're not quite long enough without the extensions... and way too long with them.