Latex clincher failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Depends on how badly the tube is imprinted. Look at the zoomed photo in the first post, the sides of the squares are quite sharp. I got a clear 3mm split on one of those lines, the air went out instantly. Really crappy to happen on the front.... But if the marks are soft, no worries.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Today, after 1700km done on this tyre, had my first flat on Vittoria Corsa Speed / latex / front wheel while going at 47 kph in a TT position. Took me 500m to stop, as basically the bike was unsteerable, luckily, the road was wide, flat and smooth, and the deflation wasn't instant, but took around 10 seconds. As I didn't hit any object, I guess, the reason is one of similar marks, which finally worked through the tube wall (and in fact, all of my 3-4 latex punctures in past 6 years, except one, have been of that kind).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I would say you might need better rimtape? I've had some distortions on my latex tubes, but nothing like that. New rims have no holes in the rimbed, so it'll be interesting to see how the tubes look when it comes time to change tires.

MikeD

by MikeD

I'm using Vittoria latex tubes and Shimano wheels which have no spoke holes in the rim bed. Changed the tire the other day and the tube looked like new. I used Challenge tubes a couple of years ago, and they were all crinkled looking when I changed tires. I won't use those again. Even though latex tubes come pretalced, I think it's a good idea to put more talc on them before mounting.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

MikeD wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:47 pm
I'm using Vittoria latex tubes and Shimano wheels which have no spoke holes in the rim bed. Changed the tire the other day and the tube looked like new. I used Challenge tubes a couple of years ago, and they were all crinkled looking when I changed tires. I won't use those again. Even though latex tubes come pretalced, I think it's a good idea to put more talc on them before mounting.
I've used Vittorias for a few years, and had good experiences. Tried Challenge and poor experience right away. Back to Vittoria for me
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Are all of these issues with rim brake wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Yeah rim but no heating on this one, just flat rides.

So, today having sufficient time and rides with the new tube (one extracted from a vittoria tubular) i decided to take it out for inspection.
It has developed the marks!

I can now scrape the theory of a too long tube being folded on itself, this was one quite snug going in the tire.

I can't see how my particular rim tape can be of blame, it is smooth enough, and the other wheel with an ex-veloflex tubular tube has no issues.

So i can still suspect some sort of manufacturing predisposition, since the michelin and vittoria seem to come from the same factory based on their identical green color and made in thailand mark. But, how come nothing happened when the tube was used inside a tubular for thousands of km??

The marked area is continous, for about 1/3 of the circumference. At the end i can see just equally spaced indentations which act as borders for the distorted "buttons".

A bit to the right, the shallow indentations made by the tubular stitches, these remain as they were couple weeks ago at first install - shallow and not concerning.
Attachments
20210604_180417.jpg
20210604_180359.jpg
20210604_180221.jpg
20210604_180158.jpg

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I don't have latex tubes, but it looks like it has something to do with the fabrication process where they assemble it to make a tube. I am guessing that it leaves a pattern of thinner and thicker "tongues". When pumped, especially when using a tube with smaller diameter as the tyre(the tubular tube would have had a perfectly matched size, while inside the tubular), the tube expands but the thinner parts, don't retract so much as the thicker parts.

Try to cut through a "bubble" and then between the "bubbles" and see if they have the same thickness.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

GiantRider

by GiantRider

If you pulled that from a tubular then I suspect those indentation marks are the impressions from stitches holding the casing together.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:14 pm

So, today having sufficient time and rides with the new tube (one extracted from a vittoria tubular) i decided to take it out for inspection.

I can now scrape the theory of a too long tube being folded on itself, this was one quite snug going in the tire.

I can't see how my particular rim tape can be of blame, it is smooth enough, and the other wheel with an ex-veloflex tubular tube has no issues.

So i can still suspect some sort of manufacturing predisposition, since the michelin and vittoria seem to come from the same factory based on their identical green color and made in thailand mark. But, how come nothing happened when the tube was used inside a tubular for thousands of km??

The marked area is continous, for about 1/3 of the circumference. At the end i can see just equally spaced indentations which act as borders for the distorted "buttons".
All of my latex tubes look like this after prolonged use regardless of wheels / rim tape they're in, some of them after several thousand km's. But they actually never seem to fail in one of those areas, it is always either around the valve or the very rare case of puncture - the one I described in my earlier post looked like a 5mm nice "cut" along the steering axis with no debris found penetrating the tyre, and I didn't hit a pothole either.

P.S. My Vittorias are always pink.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mrlobber wrote:
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:14 pm

All of my latex tubes look like this after prolonged use regardless of wheels / rim tape they're in, some of them after several thousand km's. But they actually never seem to fail in one of those areas, it is always either around the valve or the very rare case of puncture - the one I described in my earlier post looked like a 5mm nice "cut" along the steering axis with no debris found penetrating the tyre, and I didn't hit a pothole either.

P.S. My Vittorias are always pink.
Could it be due to the talc dispersing over time resulting in the tube sticking more readily to the rim bed or tyre?

MikeD

by MikeD

Alexandrumarian wrote:Yeah rim but no heating on this one, just flat rides.

A bit to the right, the shallow indentations made by the tubular stitches, these remain as they were couple weeks ago at first install - shallow and not concerning.
I think it's the tube sticking to the rim tape. Talc the tube liberally before mounting.