Carbon wheelset for lighter rider?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ff119

by ff119

I know it may sound a silly question, sorry, but a lot of wheels have a max rider limit, so if I'm a lot lighter then most could have a lighter wheel then? Is there such a thing or maybe only in theory due to lack of demand?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

With shallower wheels the weight of the rim makes more of a difference.

So how deep a rim are you looking to buy? If it's 38mm or above then I'm pretty sure even the lightest rims can handle pretty much anyone (within reason).

Also, different makers/models can have different max weights. Impacts are more likely to kill the wheelset than just rolling on a smooth surface, so it depends on where this wheelset is likely to go as well as the rider weight. A gravel wheelset up to 80kg rider weight could be longer lasting than a lightweight smooth road wheelset with 100kg max rider weight.

If you're on the extreme end of the spectrum you can use very fragile wheels without issue. Meaning:
- You're 50kg
- You don't bunny hop, ride over railroad tracks, ride up/down curbs, and road quality is near perfect.
- You don't ride competitively. You're a mature fairweather weekend rider that enjoys riding a light bike at a comfortable pace.

If you're into any form of performance then that is more likely going to be the reason to avoid the lightest rims, before they become dangerous because of max weight capacity.

ff119

by ff119

Well guess my theory is out the window

Oms

by Oms

People do build their own wheels (or get them built) - selecting hubs, rims and spokes to suit their needs. You could go lighter by making the right choices depending on what you use the wheels for.

I guess there's only a certain spectrum in which the components could be considered as useful/desirable. Your speed will have more of an effect on the forces that your wheels experience than your weight (in some situations) - something to consider.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Yeah, don't give up. During hillclimb races they ride 900-1000gr tubular wheelsets. Those guys put out a lot of power. So it is possible to build a performance wheelset in that weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I've ridden many wheels on which I am close or over the max weight limit for.
I've also used proper lightweight single season XC race rims (ZTR Olympic) for alpine stage races with no issues.
But I'm very very light on kit and accept that a minor off could destroy the rim.

I've also built "special" light wheels in the past for my wife, sub 300gram aluminum tubular rims, 28 spoke builds sort of thing. For me, they'd almost be single use wheels. For her, she'd get 2 or 3 seasons.

These days, the rims and hubs are light enough and strong enough that it's pretty much irrelevant. I can buy wheels that would be perfectly safe, stiff and strong even at my most powerful, or heaviest.

You could probably shop around, speak to a *good* wheel builder and actually get a cheap, light and strong (enough) wheel though.