Good QR skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

My wheels, Enve 4.5 with Carbon-TI hubs, are feeling a bit flexy in the rear. It's no wonder since I'm about 85 kgs at the moment, but I'm certain they can be stiffer. Before I go ahead and change the spokes and pattern and everything, I was wondering if improvements could be made with a change of skewers. Currently I'm riding with some old KCNC alu skewers, and have thought about trying something less lightweight, and probably stiffer.

Which QR's can be recommended?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Mavic or Dura ace (more expensive and do not bring anything more over the Mavic). Strong and firm clamping, thick axle that has no stretch compared to lighter versions.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Extralite Aliens 4
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

HenryH

by HenryH

Peak Torque got a very interesting video quite recently on skewers. Not sure why they don't test them like that to make sure they work?

Of the four I believe he tests the DA is the best, but I believe 3 out of the 4 he tests will work.

Looking for new skewers myself, but just a complete mess as to which actually work or not.

C36

by C36

bikewithnoname wrote:Extralite Aliens 4
The butted titanium rod makes them flexier than full gauge one and “twice” flexier than steel ones (120GPa stiffness versus 210 for steel).
OP is asking for a QR that will totally clear the doubts that could come from this component, then excluding any of those very light version.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

C36

by C36

HenryH wrote:Peak Torque got a very interesting video quite recently on skewers. Not sure why they don't test them like that to make sure they work?

Of the four I believe he tests the DA is the best, but I believe 3 out of the 4 he tests will work.

Looking for new skewers myself, but just a complete mess as to which actually work or not.
PT is missing half of the story. He is focussing on clamping force and ignore the rod stiffness.
The clamping force = avoid slippage (literally trying to get the wheel out), force x contact area x friction = force needed to create slippage.
The rod stiffness = potential dropout to axle movement linked to rod stretch.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
Last edited by C36 on Sun May 16, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HenryH

by HenryH

C36 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:36 pm
HenryH wrote:Peak Torque got a very interesting video quite recently on skewers. Not sure why they don't test them like that to make sure they work?

PT is totally missing a half of the story. He is focussing on clamping force and ignore the rod stiffness.
The clamping force = avoid slippage (literally trying to get the wheel out), force x contact area x friction = force needed to create slippage.
The rod stiffness = potential dropout to axle movement linked to rod stretch.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
Still better than anyone else.

The rod will stretch?

In any case. I don´t see why does making skewers cannot document the performance of it. And if that goes for both clambing force and rod stiffness then give us two numbers so we can know that they will work or not. Especially for 3rd party skewers - if I´m spending USD100 or something on new skewers I would like to know that they actually perform well - now that is very much a shot in the dark.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I went with Vision QRs with internal cam. They seem to work very well. Bought them as I was not able to get DA ones

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

HenryH wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm

His recent topics/videos have been junk...he's putting out videos for the sake of clicks.

Recent topics? Road rotors should be larger than MTB rotors... laughable.

The front wheel should be deeper than the rear wheel... again laughable. No one buys just one deep wheel and if you can run a deep front, you can run an even deeper rear.

HenryH

by HenryH

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:10 pm
HenryH wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm

His recent topics/videos have been junk...he's putting out videos for the sake of clicks.

Recent topics? Road rotors should be larger than MTB rotors... laughable.

The front wheel should be deeper than the rear wheel... again laughable. No one buys just one deep wheel and if you can run a deep front, you can run an even deeper rear.
OK. Not sure how that is relevant for his video on skewers?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

HenryH wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm

It's relevant because he keeps narrowing his focus on one aspect of a complex system and is often wrong when it comes to the "bigger picture." This is also the case in his QR skewer / TA video.

HenryH

by HenryH

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:24 pm
HenryH wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm

It's relevant because he keeps narrowing his focus on one aspect of a complex system and is often wrong when it comes to the "bigger picture." This is also the case in his QR skewer / TA video.
Why don't you enlighten us with the full picture then?

Seems like a much better way to go about things in a thread about skewers, to help board members to improve their understanding, rather than complaining about PT. If anything he says in that video is wrong or misleading I'm all ears. I'm just sharing information. I wouldn't take it personal if someone explained to me what he misunderstands etc. On the contrary I would be grateful having learned something.

tepextate

by tepextate

I'm on a similar hunt for myself. Would get Dura Ace 9100, but cannot seem to find stock of them anywhere!

I've already read that Campy skewers are as good

HenryH

by HenryH

All anecdotal of course, but I got Campagnolo skewers and they have never failed me. And I'm more or less 2m tall and carry some weight. I can't see the skewers I got would fail anyone except maybe Backstedt sprinting. Even then I highly doubt it.

Then again I would imagine most, if not all, 100 grams+ skewers to do the job - or?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The best compromise is the Mavic QR with the un-butted Ti rod. They are lighter than D.A. but offer enough clamping force.

Extralite Aliens 4 is junk.