Opinion about corima wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nodejs53

by Nodejs53

Hi everyone

Doesn't find lot of information in this forum about corima wheels.

Did some of you got an set of wheels ?

What did you think about it ?

Disc brake version seems a little bit heavy but they seems to use some specific technology (torsion box and structural foam inside).

Feel free to share us some though or feedback !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Hi,
I am somewhat of a Corima fanboy :-) (also have a Rolf Prima Elan alloy w/s) as I like the paired spoke design. Currently owning 3 sets of Corimas: WS32+, WS47 Black and MCC47WS+. Great wheels, fast, high quality, easy to maintain and really stiff (esp. the MCC, have them on my Look 785 Huez RS and climbing is real fun, esp out of the saddle). What I find remarkable is how comfortable the wheels are, not sure if that is due to the torsionbox/foam or due to the paired spoke design. On decent asphalt with 6/6.5 bar (f/r), latex tubes and proper tires (TC, Pirelli TLR SL, Wolfpack Cotton) it feels like riding on a steel plate :-) (me 73-75kg).
People might argue Corimas are outdated at 16C spec but then they are 26mm wide outside and 25/26mm tires fit perfectly (from aerodynamics standpoint).

Just in case you have rim brakes: I have the 32WS+ clinchers up for sale (they have been replaced by the MCCs). Probably some 2.5k km with Corima red brake pads. Look like new. Location Germany

cheers
niko

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi, still have mine and are regularly ridden MMC 47S+s’..... have no desire or need to part with them unless I ditch rim brakes and go discs. Personally I find them very stiff and at time unforgiving but that may be the frame as much as the wheels (Pina F8) highly recommended....
BB

Coffee & carbon

ico

by ico

+1

very strong and stiff wheels, have them for nearly 10 seasons in 47mm tubular version, with great carbon hubs, very easy servicing. I don't konow what more to ask for. Maybe braking in rain... but I found out that Swissstop or Dura Ace brake pads works much much better than Corima pads.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

ico wrote: ↑
Sun May 02, 2021 6:29 am
Maybe braking in rain... but I found out that Swissstop or Dura Ace brake pads works much much better than Corima pads.
Try the new Corima synthetic grey brake pads. They work great in the wet. Might squeal every now and then when braking really hard, though but then I can live with that πŸ˜‰

OCSlick

by OCSlick

nikospeed wrote: ↑
Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am
Hi,
I am somewhat of a Corima fanboy :-) (also have a Rolf Prima Elan alloy w/s) as I like the paired spoke design. Currently owning 3 sets of Corimas: WS32+, WS47 Black and MCC47WS+.

cheers
niko
I just picked up a pair of WS47 Black Disc Clinchers. Are 25mm tires the best size to run on them? Also their website says that latex tubes are not compatible, do you know why that would be / if I can run latex anyways?

nikospeed

by nikospeed

I think the latex caveat is from rim brake times...I run my Corimas with latex noprob. For disc wheels I don't see any reason not to use latex.
Tire width..yes, 25/26mm fit perfectly (aero-wise)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone on the carbon spoke version?
I wonder how ride feel are on these? Harsh as hell or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Me again 😁.
Have the normal 47s and the MCC 47s. Not harsh at all, actually I can't feel much of a difference during normal riding. But when you go out of the saddle or sprint you feel the lateral stiffness. To me it feels as if really 100% of the energy goes straight into the road. I really like riding the MCCs

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:43 am
Me again 😁.
Have the normal 47s and the MCC 47s. Not harsh at all, actually I can't feel much of a difference during normal riding. But when you go out of the saddle or sprint you feel the lateral stiffness. To me it feels as if really 100% of the energy goes straight into the road. I really like riding the MCCs
So am i getting this correct, the gains is when sprinting?
How's braking on these? I guess you have rim brake version (the 26mm version)?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

wheelsONfire wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:47 pm
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:43 am
Me again 😁.
So am i getting this correct, the gains is when sprinting?
How's braking on these? I guess you have rim brake version (the 26mm version)?
I don't sprint that much but use the MCCs on the "hill bike" and here it's out of the saddle when I clearly feel a difference.
(Rim) braking is perfect in the dry and with the new grey Corima brake pads even wet braking is more than acceptable, IMO actually pretty good.

OCSlick

by OCSlick

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:52 am
I think the latex caveat is from rim brake times...I run my Corimas with latex noprob. For disc wheels I don't see any reason not to use latex.
Tire width..yes, 25/26mm fit perfectly (aero-wise)
For anyone in the future that is curious, GP5000 25mm clincher tires absolutely do not fit on WS 47 Black Disc Clinchers, I ended up getting the new Pirelli P Zero Race 26mm, which are a perfect aero fit on the rim and so far ride amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com