Help in decision regarding new wheelset, multiple options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aesch

by Aesch

Hi all,

I understand this is one of the many posts with an ask for help :) , there is so much to read/decide on wheels it's a bit daunting. I've gone through the respective posts on wheels, height/depth, LB/Farsports posts and open mold variants and am still running loops trying to decide what is best for me.

Intended use is an all-round wheelset to run 28-32mm tyres on fondo-oriented bike (the space between my full-on aero bike and gravelbike).
Height preferably 40-45mm.
I'm a reasonably strong rider, ftp @ 4w/kg and ~84kg.

I've narrowed the search down to a few brands/options and would like to hear opinions/ advise on the rims/shape and width of these options (what would you choose/advise). Weight : only option that is significantly different is farsports Feder, can't really find the reason for this. Avoid as too light? or no reason to doubt the strength.

Hub is all DT240exp, cx-ray spokes and brass nipples.

Option 1:
Light Carbon (Image

They offer a regular version and superlight, weight difference is 40 gram at 435 vs 475.
DT240 EXP 24 spokes front and rear, Wheelset cost delivered = 800euro
Same rims in 28H front and rear locally built = 900 euro

Pro: nice shape, asymmetric design should offer nice even spoke tension.
Con: Least known builder

Added question: superlight version (100kg limit) and regular version (115kg limit), ideas on this? i am inclined to go for the regular version to have a safety margin (system weight 84+gear+bike will be running close to 100kg).

Option 2:
Light Bicycle:
AR45 pro rims (i've read a lot of positive comments on WR, would these be too wide for my intended use with 32mm external width? (i'll probably use 28mm tyres mostly))
Or even the new x-flow 465 rims?

All are equally priced @ 1200 euro with dt240exp in 24H front and 28h rear, brass nipples, sprint and cx combination.
Pro: Well known, good experiences all over, my ar46 rim brake wheels are great. Cons: price

Option 3:
Farsports:
Kaze or Feder 45mm rims. rimshape looks identical between the two. 21mm internal, 28 external.
https://www.wheelsfar.com/feder-27mm-28 ... p0077.html
Other than weight i can't find the difference.

Pro: Lots of good experiences. Cons: only 24h front and rear options.
Price: 950euro
Weight : only option that is significantly different is farsports Feder, can't really find the reason for this. avoid as too light? or no reason to doubt the strength.

Outlier:
option 4: Carbonda CGW01 http://www.carbonda.com/wheelset/road-wheelset/126.html
24mm internal and 30mm external, 35mm height. Different shape, i guess a 28mm tyre will run 30 Width As Measured on a 24mm internal rim.
They advise 30mm tyres and upward.
in 28h front and rear with DT 240exp = 825 euro.

Pro: I love my Carbonda Gravelbike ;), wider platform should accomodate 30-32mm tyre slightly better if needed. Cons: Not well known for rims/wheels.

Farsports is attractive for the package of shape, height, experiences that can be found but the 24h spoke count holds me back.
Other than that LB is nice but significantly pricier (I can build the Light carbon wheels even with Carbon-ti hubs at 2/3rds of the price).

any and all comments welcome!
Last edited by Aesch on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snaxez

by snaxez

I made my Farsport order via email, and was quoted:

---Rims: Farsports Feder series rim FSD45CM-28T-SUD , tubeless ready disc rim, 45mm depth, 28mm external width, 21mm internal width.
with spoke holes in the rim bed, 24/24h, UD matte rim finish, no logo.
---Hubs: Carbon Ti straight pull, Central lock , 24/24h Through axle, axle size: 12*100/12*142mm , Shimano 11s free hub body, black.
---Spokes: Sapim cx-ray black.
---Nipples: Sapim sill alloy black.
---Weight: 1300g+_30g
--- Price: US$1113 (with freight and tax prepaid to Estonia)

That made out 954,86€, they are still in shipping, so can`t comment on the wheels yet.
Only downside is, I did not notice, that rims were marked with spoke holes. (on the web they don`t list that option). So now I need rim tape. Not sure if the price would be higher without spoke holes in the rim.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Is there a reason you just dont go for Winspace Hypers?
Lighter and stiffer than anything you've listed here and around the same price, plus pretty good reviews all round.
I've had a set of the 50's but sold and going to order the 38's just for that extra bit of zippy feel.

Aesch

by Aesch

@ Snaxez
Thanks for your reply! That's a good quote to follow, i run carbon-ti hubs currently and like them so its a good option too i guess (even lighter..).

Any thoughts on spoke-count? are you in the same weight-range as i am?

@ Bsharp77; thanks! The winspace Hypers are 19internal vs 26 external so optimised for 25mm tyres i guess. for an all-out aero wheel that would be a more logical choice, since I intend to run slightly wider tyres the rim shapes of the above sets look to be a better fit (trying to match tyre diameter with the outside rim size at the interface).

Secondly, i read a few reports on creaking spokes at the interface since they touch (makes me hesitant).

snaxez

by snaxez

Aesch wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:20 am
@ Snaxez
Thanks for your reply! That's a good quote to follow, i run carbon-ti hubs currently and like them so its a good option too i guess (even lighter..).

Any thoughts on spoke-count? are you in the same weight-range as i am?

@ Bsharp77; thanks! The winspace Hypers are 19internal vs 26 external so optimised for 25mm tyres i guess. for an all-out aero wheel that would be a more logical choice, since I intend to run slightly wider tyres the rim shapes of the above sets look to be a better fit (trying to match tyre diameter with the outside rim size at the interface).

Secondly, i read a few reports on creaking spokes at the interface since they touch (makes me hesitant).
I`m at 82kg now....(covid and home office sucks), but used to be around 78kg.
At the moment I have my old rim brake bike with Bora One 35 wheels (18 front and 21 rear), and it`s fine. But I have not had any disc brake road bikes yet. Can build my Foil Disc in a few weeks, when wheels come.

Aesch

by Aesch

A new option has arisen, can get the new zipp 303 firecrest for a similar price as the LBs.

Interesting option, however I'm unsure what hookless, tubeless would mean for road use.

Having had 2 punctures in 10 years on latex tubes I dont really feel the need to convert (mtb and gravel is a no brainer but Road, don't know. Whole different discussion I guess).

Aesch

by Aesch

snaxez wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 am
I made my Farsport order via email, and was quoted:

---Rims: Farsports Feder series rim FSD45CM-28T-SUD , tubeless ready disc rim, 45mm depth, 28mm external width, 21mm internal width.
with spoke holes in the rim bed, 24/24h, UD matte rim finish, no logo.
---Hubs: Carbon Ti straight pull, Central lock , 24/24h Through axle, axle size: 12*100/12*142mm , Shimano 11s free hub body, black.
---Spokes: Sapim cx-ray black.
---Nipples: Sapim sill alloy black.
---Weight: 1300g+_30g
--- Price: US$1113 (with freight and tax prepaid to Estonia)

That made out 954,86€, they are still in shipping, so can`t comment on the wheels yet.
Only downside is, I did not notice, that rims were marked with spoke holes. (on the web they don`t list that option). So now I need rim tape. Not sure if the price would be higher without spoke holes in the rim.
HI, who got you this quote? i was ready to order but can't get a similar quote now unfortunately.

thanks!

snaxez

by snaxez

I got it from Tom, sales2@farsports.cn

Aesch

by Aesch

snaxez wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am
I got it from Tom, sales2@farsports.cn
Thanks! Still working on the details. See if they can build with cx sprint too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Urbs

by Urbs

Aesch wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 am
A new option has arisen, can get the new zipp 303 firecrest for a similar price as the LBs.

Interesting option, however I'm unsure what hookless, tubeless would mean for road use.

Having had 2 punctures in 10 years on latex tubes I dont really feel the need to convert (mtb and gravel is a no brainer but Road, don't know. Whole different discussion I guess).

I'm looking at almost the exact same options as you for very similar uses. Where can you get the 303 firecrest from for th same price as LB? that might be the best option for me, given warranties etc.