Venge written off as Roval CL50 & Enve TLR tyre part company at 45kmh

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Priit wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:04 pm

And that’s why people run tubular tyres. Now imagine if your clincher explodes from the rim when there is a car coming from behind or in the mountains at 90 km/h… Or in group ride… In my oppinion clinchers should be banned in group rides. Clinchers for road race bikes at 28 mm or skinnier is idiotic and unresponsible thing to sell people.

FUD.

I saw a dude suffer permanent paralysis in his arm as a result of someone else rolling a tub in turn 4 of the 2019 San Rafael Twilight Criterium so don't give me that shit. Accidents happen regardless of tire technology. Even if a tub suffers a catastrophic pressure loss and doesn't roll off the rim in a 40mph corner, that rider is likely going down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Priit

by Priit

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:19 am
Priit wrote:

And that’s why people run tubular tyres. Now imagine if your clincher explodes from the rim when there is a car coming from behind or in the mountains at 90 km/h… Or in group ride… In my oppinion clinchers should be banned in group rides. Clinchers for road race bikes at 28 mm or skinnier is idiotic and unresponsible thing to sell people.

FUD.

I saw a dude suffer permanent paralysis in his arm as a result of someone else rolling a tub in turn 4 of the 2019 San Rafael Twilight Criterium so don't give me that shit. Accidents happen regardless of tire technology. Even if a tub suffers a catastrophic pressure loss and doesn't roll off the rim in a 40mph corner, that rider is likely going down.
Bla-bla-bla. BTW, tubulars should be glued to the rim.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Priit wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm

No shit, Sherlock.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Priit wrote:
Or in group ride… In my oppinion clinchers should be banned in group rides. Clinchers for road race bikes at 28 mm or skinnier is idiotic and unresponsible thing to sell people.
That's. A really weird opinion. And not really backed up by anything but a knee jerk reaction.
I've seen more snapped chains and unexpected pedal releases (all the way back to the clips, cleats and straps days) than I have explosively deflating tyres, tubeless, tubed or tubular.
Maybe we should ban pedals and chains?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Priit wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:19 am
Priit wrote:

FUD.

so you assume tape was used because it rolled ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Priit wrote:
Nadsta wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 pm

To recap, I hit a small but sharp edged pothole on a slight descent that initially threw me off line a little more than I had anticipated- but well within my ability to correct. This was quickly followed by a bang from the front as the air escaped from the tyre and the subsequent sinking feeling/sound of naked carbon rolling on tarmac...then the inevitable touch down. I jumped up out the road, ticked off another one of my 9 lives, then shook my head at the sight of my front tyre inside out on the rim.

A trip to hospital and 8 dressings later, I realised the frame was cracked.
You best let the entire bike industry know about this. I assume you have lots of research and not just anecdotes to back up a statement such as this?

xylar

by xylar

My current set-up is CL50 with Turbo Cotton 26mm, Turbo Inner Tube front and back.

For some upcoming races, I was looking at switching to some 25mm Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 front and back - keep with the Turbo Inner Tube. In theory they will be lighter, faster and more aero. Has anyone had good/bad experience with this pairing?

alexdi

by alexdi

My first thought from the OP's photos is that the sealant looks like Slime STR. If so, that stuff sucks and I'm not surprised it didn't help. Suggest going to Orange Seal or Stan's.