Venge written off as Roval CL50 & Enve TLR tyre part company at 45kmh

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Attermann

by Attermann

I have a pair of roval control MTB wheels, a schwalbe tyre also falls into the center channel when the air goes out, so that could be a general problem with roval wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

Wait a minute, are TL tires supposed to stay in the bead lock when totally deflated?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

No.

Some stay on, some fall into the centre channel, very similar to some tubed clinchers.

Different tyres work differently with different rims.

Roval Rapides work perfectly with the range of Vittoria Corsa G2.0 TLRs, yet the TLR Speed is very hard to fit to CLX50/64s.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Attermann

by Attermann

They should stay, that's why there is a bead lock that prevents that.

jlok

by jlok

The rim mfgs never say the beads would stay so they should not stay, but I'd want them to stay. Otherwise, I'd avoid running tubeless on the rim.

oh... just found out that 3T is saying:
SAFETY RIDGE: With tubeless tires, rolling resistance is lower and flats are very rare. But when you do flat with a road tire, a safety ridge keeps the tire on the rim for safety and to avoid damage (they're often skipped to save some weight & make manufacturing easier).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

andreas

by andreas

Interesting, I got the impression it was mainly to prevent burping and in general to easier achieve a seal, not to hold the wheels when deflated

morganb

by morganb

Attermann wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:47 am
I have a pair of roval control MTB wheels, a schwalbe tyre also falls into the center channel when the air goes out, so that could be a general problem with roval wheels
I had a pair of Traverse SLs with Ultradynamicos debead when I hit a bump. I know those tires are probably too light to be run tubeless even if advertised as such but the beat came off instantly and violently.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

So any idea what caused the tyre to burp? I'm sure I and many cyclists go over potholes like those fairly frequently and it doesn't damage the tyres (I think many UK local authorities who look after roads would be bankrupt by now if it did).

Scary to think such catastrophic failure can occur due to a little pothole. So the question is what caused the burp issue? Was it inappropriate pressure, poor tyre/rim compatibility, or something totally different?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Did you check the rim tape? Maybe it failed at the rim bed spoke holes.

MikeD

by MikeD

Maybe the hooks on your rims have a sharp edge; not uncommon with carbon rims. The fact that your tire is cut supports that theory. Also, I don't believe that a properly inflated road tire is going to burp. That's a low pressure phenomenon.

easyv

by easyv

ryanw wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am
No.

Some stay on, some fall into the centre channel, very similar to some tubed clinchers.

Roval Rapides work perfectly with the range of Vittoria Corsa G2.0 TLRs, yet the TLR Speed is very hard to fit to CLX50/64s.
Tried a number of tubeless tires on the CLX50s.

The Continental GP5000TLs were such a tight fit that they were a huge pain in the ass to get onto the wheels but when they deflated due to a slashed sidewall at speed, they stayed on the wheel unlike the story posted by the OP but ultimately did fall into the center channel when completely deflated.

The Vittoria Corsa Speeds, like RyanW posted, with their cotton sidewalls were too floppy to seal on the CLX50s so I never got them to work as a TLR even initially.

The Pirelli P Zero Race TLR SLs I did get to seal but took a lot of effort and when I did puncture, the tire did fall to the center channel.

Currently running the Specialized S-Works RapidAirs. Figured I should try the tires that were supposedly designed to work with the CLX wheels. Somwhat of a tight fit to get on but the beads do seem to lock to the wheels. I left for my first business trip since the pandemic and was gone for 10 days. When I came home, my front tire was deflated but the bead was still attached so all I had to do was just just a standard track pump to pump it up. So unless the RapidAirs disappoint me from a performance or durability standpoint, seems like they ARE designed to work well with the CLXs and what I'll stick with for the apparent safety of having beads that seem to interface well with the wheel and won't detach in case of puncture.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ryanw wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am
No.

In your experience Ryan, what is the best tubless tyres for CLX 50s? (To stay on the wheel!)
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Priit

by Priit

Nadsta wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 pm

To recap, I hit a small but sharp edged pothole on a slight descent that initially threw me off line a little more than I had anticipated- but well within my ability to correct. This was quickly followed by a bang from the front as the air escaped from the tyre and the subsequent sinking feeling/sound of naked carbon rolling on tarmac...then the inevitable touch down. I jumped up out the road, ticked off another one of my 9 lives, then shook my head at the sight of my front tyre inside out on the rim.

A trip to hospital and 8 dressings later, I realised the frame was cracked.
And that’s why people run tubular tyres. Now imagine if your clincher explodes from the rim when there is a car coming from behind or in the mountains at 90 km/h… Or in group ride… In my oppinion clinchers should be banned in group rides. Clinchers for road race bikes at 28 mm or skinnier is idiotic and unresponsible thing to sell people.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Priit wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:04 pm
In my oppinion clinchers should be banned in group rides.
Well you best keep on enjoying your "group rides" by yourself then…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Riding down a steep hill on a flat tubular isn't much fun, braking isn't great......yes the tyre stays on the rim, but that doesn't mean that you will stay on the bike.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress