Good Mid disc wheels for 28mm TLR tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snaxez

by snaxez

Looking for good Mid profile disc wheels for my Scott Foil. Not over 2k€, hooked for TLR, 28mm or wider. 40-50mm height.
I made an order on Farsports 45mm Feders with Carbon-Ti hubs (28 wide, ~1335g), but now I have a chance to get FFWD Full Carbon Clincher RAW on discount for under 1600€
Does anyone have any experience with them?
By the spec the look good, maybe a little on the heavy side, but not too bad, and I would have local support in case of any issues.
Weight 1420.0gram
Height 44.0mm
Internal 21.0mm
External 30.0mm
Hubs DT180 EXP
Spokes 24/24 Straight pull (hidden nipples)

I would be running 28mm Vitoria Corsa TLR tires, so by 105% aero rule, the FFWD would be better. Or would Feders be just as good, and not worth the swap?
Are there any other good options?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Internal nipples are a bit faster. But then again if you're going to run TL then a rim bed without holes is also useful (which isn't possible with internal nipples)

Get a rim with the same width as the real tire width you need. Don't go with wider tires than you need to put down power at all times, if speed is a concern.

28C tires don't always mean 28mm. If the 28C tire balloons to 30mm then you need a 30mm wide rim (at the tire interface, not in the middle).

If you're heavy or a sprinter, out of saddle climber, don't buy wheels with a low spoke count and light spokes. They will not feel responsive to you.

The front wheel configuration is traditionally quite flexible for rim brake bikes, but for disc brakes you depend on that configuration to provide you your stopping power in a confident way. Remember that if you're heavy or plan to go down steep grades. (This is why disc brake wheels are slower than rim brake wheels, because they need to be beefier with more rotational drag. That's before even looking at the braking system.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snaxez

by snaxez

I don`t race, so thats not a concern. I weight about 80kg at the moment, but ideally would be around 76-77kg.
At the moment I have an old Scott CR1 rim brake with Bora One 35 tubular (25 Corsa tires), and it`s ok, but as the roads here are not the best, 28 would increase comfort. New bike I`m building is 2019 Scott Foil Premium Disc. I think that will not take anything bigger, than 30mm anyway. Area around is flat, and better corsswind stability is allways good to have.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If 56mm rim depth sounds good the lightbicycle ar56 rims (or wheels) are very popular 30mm wide rims. They should match very well with 28C tires. There's a big lightbicycle forum thread you can have a look into.

The shape isn't the best for crosswinds but they aren't that deep anyway. They have a very similar shape with the boras you've already ridden.

Another thing is that because the front wheel carries less weight, it's sometimes possible to achieve a better aero/comfort balance by sizing up in the rear. 28/32c or 25/28c. If you think this is interesting then the front, having the largest impact on aero, should be sized to match. ~26-27mm rims + 25/28 tires, or ~30mm rims + 28/32 tires.

With wide rims you won't be more aero than those boras, even when going 35mm to 56mm depth. You will however be able to put down power more consistently which is very good. On perfect roads, the advantage diminishes.